• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not enough memory (RAM) and other error messages

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, over the last week or two I keep getting intermittent errors in Photoshop. Most of the errors say there is not enough RAM when opening or saving images. My PC has 8gb RAM installed with around 2 - 3GB available. I'm working with small files under 3000px X 3000px with 1 or 2 layers.

The most common errors are "Could not open "xxxx.jpg" because there is not enough memory (RAM)" and "Could not complete your request because there is not enough memory (RAM)"

I also get not enough RAM error messages when trying to save documents.

Sometimes often if I cant save a file, saving as a new file works.

Other errors include:

"the operation could not be complete" when trying to export to web.

"could not import clipboard because of a program error"

The errors are intermitent. Sometime I can work for hours without an error, other times I get them every few minutes. Sometimes closing Photoshop fixes the problems, sometimes I need to restart my PC.

I have tied resetting my Photoshop prefrecences a few times, reinstalled Photoshop and made changes in the registry (OverridePhysicalMemoryMB).

Does anyone have any idas what could be causing the problems?

Thanks

Dan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue! And that problem is after their update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me - I even rolled back to a previous version and that didn't work. my photoshop app is virtually unusable since an update to 22.4    sometimes I can open a document but I can't use any tools because 'not enough RAM'. Seriously,  i haven't been able to use photoshop in months and i'm getting really really irritated because nothing else on my system changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

**edit**

I have tried doing some troubleshooting and I give up.

"could not import clipboard because of a program error"

I have been checking this with different size photos from Google Image search and Pixabay.

Search for image on Google - right click image - copy - paste into 1000 x 1000 72dpi Photoshop document

2400 x 2400 = works, can copy and paste into Photoshop. (5,760,000px)
2448 x 2448 = works, can copy and paste into Photoshop.
2449 x 2449 = works, can copy and paste into Photoshop.
2475 x 2475 = works, can copy and paste into Photoshop.
2490 x 2490 = fail, program error
2499 x 2499 = fail, program error
2500 x 2500 = fail, program error (6,250,000px)
2600 x 2600 = fail, program error
2700 x 2700 = fail, program error
2800 x 2800 = fail, program error

Search image on Pixabay - Free download - View - right click image - copy - paste into 1000 x 1000 72dpi Photoshop document

https://pixabay.com/photos/yachts-sailing-boats-regatta-lake-5971866/ 
1920 × 1178 - JPG - 592 kB = Works
3777 × 2319 - JPG - 2.1 MB = Error

https://pixabay.com/photos/bee-flower-plum-blossom-insect-6075541/ 
1920 × 1280 - JPG - 347 kB = Works
6000 × 4000 - JPG - 8.8 MB = Error

https://pixabay.com/photos/fashion-woman-indian-girl-young-5255195/ 
1280 × 1920 - JPG - 526 kB = Works
3456 × 5184 - JPG - 2.9 MB = Error

This has happened with the last 10 images I have tried.

"Could not open "xxxx.jpg" because there is not enough memory (RAM)"

I get this error every time I try opening an "Original" or "Large" stock photo downloaded from www.pexels.com. "Medium" images from Pexels open fine. Images from other stock websites work 95% of the time. I have checked around 10 different images form Pexels and they all have this problem.

Example image - https://www.pexels.com/photo/red-lighthouse-located-in-sea-5855578/ 
Original (3082 x 3852) - Not enough RAM error
Large (1920 x 2399) - Not enough RAM error
Medium (1280 x 1599) - Works

Images from other stock sites seem to open OK most of the time.

No problems with images and templates download from Adobe stock.

Most large images Pixabay work.

20mb - 30mb JPGs from Envate Elements open fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan, 

Have you found any fixes for this. I have just started getting this issue after the last update and it's driving me crazy.

I've done the regedit hack and set the cache and usable mem to max. Nothing is working. Let me know if you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I found a temporary fix.

All my problems are being caused by Dynamic Link Manager (its part of After Effects and/or Premire Pro).

On Windows 10, when Photoshop is loading open task manager (ctrl+alt+delect) and look for Photoshop. When Photoshop is almost finished openeing, click the arrow to the left and you will see Dynamic Link Manager, right click it and end task.

I hope this helps.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well this kind of helped me - I went into task manager / details and found Dynamic Link Manager (it was disabled). I right clicked on it and selected "End Process Tree" which allowed me to open a file and make some edits. Finaly that ended so when I got the Ram error message during my continued edits, I tried to save the file and also could not save becuse there is not enough memory (RAM). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow. Thanks for this. It has been working for me since I tried ending the process. Hopefully they can find a fix and implement a patch. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! Its the MOST frustrating thing since I previously used PSD every day. I have had to find alternatives like Sketch. Phoshoshop is broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines