Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Only select one of multiple selections?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is there a way to quickly deselect all but one selection after selecting all the contents of a layer?

For example, the layer I select the contents of contains multiple, tightly packed parts but I only need to select one of them. The layer is often hidden below many other layers so I cannot use the wand tool as it will end up making a selection based on the layers that are visible, which is often different from what I need.

The parts are always at least a few pixels apart so there will always be a distance between the selections. I am wondering if this could somehow allow me to quickly deselect the rest of the selections and keep only one part selecting?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Revenant 

There is no direct way to do what you are asking. You can hold down Alt and use any selection tool to drag around the pieces you don't want.

The layer is often hidden below many other layers so I cannot use the wand tool as it will end up making a selection based on the layers that are visible,

Uncheck "Sample All Layers" in the options bar to limit the selection to the current layer.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps try Quick Mask Mode (Q):

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/using/create-temporary-quick-mask.html

You either create a better selection or deal with the one you have. More on selection methods here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/using/making-quick-selections.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I’m not sure how well this will work with the way your document is layered, but you might consider selecting each part individually using the Quick Selection or Object Selection tool (not the old Magic Wand tool) and converting each selection to a separate path, for two reasons. You would be able to quickly select a path or any combination of paths as needed, and instantly convert them to selections. And if you need to adjust an individual part outline, it might be faster to edit it as a path.

Photoshop select 1 v00.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines