• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening a XCF (GIMP) File Format in Photoshop

Guide ,
Nov 20, 2011 Nov 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to get photoshop to open a XCF File format? I know I could download GIMP and re-save the file into a PSD but that is a hassle. Are there other options?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

I would think that taking 5 minutes to install GIMP is less of a hassle than waiting hours or days for ideas in a forum.

GIMP is a good companion to Photoshop. There are some features exclusive to each program. I do not think I could work without both.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t think there are currently, at least I could not find anything definitive with a superficial google-search.

You could post a Feature Request at

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/

but I am unsure about the likelyhood of an implementation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would think that taking 5 minutes to install GIMP is less of a hassle than waiting hours or days for ideas in a forum.

GIMP is a good companion to Photoshop. There are some features exclusive to each program. I do not think I could work without both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting...I ended up finding a program that would convert the XCF file into a PSD file and that worked. Thanks for the information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind sharing the link to that program in case someone else should come up against the same issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's http://www.xnview.com and http://www.imagemagick.org to name two but image conversion of these advanced formats may require review in the native program. I would not want to risk losing editable layers or effects to a limited conversion tool. I'd want to know what the file is supposed to look like before it is converted to PSD. Not all features translate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the link - http://www.batchimageconverter.com/image-resizer/ - I do not know what the original looked like and the PSD was a flat image which was fine for my purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A good solution would be a Photoshop plug in that allows Photoshop to load XCF files (Someone should code one!), but installing a converter program for a limited conversion is much worse than installing GIMP for a faithful conversion. It is the same effort after all so you ended up with the hassle you tried to avoid (Download installer, install, open the XCF file, save a PSD...) but with a less faithful conversion.

Glad you got your goal, anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What I just encountered is GIMP hoarding or otherwise taking hostage my collection of ADOBE LOOPS.  The files have been with me for a long time.  I haven't had to delve into my audio library as deeply as I am having to for a new project.  I can't find out the native file type because of this.  I can't pull any of the files into Audition as Gimp will not release them.  Very Strange Mercury in Retrograde... ALSO, there is nothing anywhere about this weirdness. Seems ambitious for a photo/graphics program to insist itself on an audio format file.  -- Thanks for any consideration.  Peace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines