• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Opening JPGs, then saving them defaults to PSD

Participant ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Not sure at which point this change occurred. When I open a JPG, make some quick edits, and then hit Command-S (Save), a Save dialog appears with the defaults set to PSD.

I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary here.  I've been using Photoshop since 1995.  

I open a JPG, make some edits, ensure the image is flattened and in 8-bit, and simply hit Command-S to Save.  Why  does it insist on saving the file as PSD?  This is beyond irritating as I need to execute 4-5 more clicks just to save the file.

If anyone has some pointers, I'd surely appreciate it 🙂

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change it in Photoshop preferences.

Screenshot 2022-11-10 at 20.27.17.png 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Derek.  I appreciate your reply.  

Unfortunately for me, this doesn't seem to rectify the issue.  Maybe it's because every JPG opens through Camera RAW and not directly in PS?  

I tried ticking off that box as you suggest, and rebooted PS to no avail.  I still get a Save As dialog, albeit this time, it has the JPEG extension selected by default.

Needless to say, it prompts me to name, Replace, and finally, choose a JPG compression setting before finally replacing the old JPG.

Command S used to just Save it and be done with.  Any tips on what else to try here?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find that under Preferences/File Handling.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines