• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OS X 10.7.5 with Java SE 7, but get Photoshop CS 5 error message saying I need to install Java SE 6

Sep 01, 2013 Sep 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to run Photoshop CS 5 I get an error message (stopping launch) saying I need to install Java SE 6, however Java SE 6 is no longer supported by Apple for security reasons.  I have Java SE 7 (Oracle) installed but Photoshop seems to be unaware.

I have spent a few hours searching for how this can be fixed in a way that does not involve installing an old unsupported version of Java (i.e. SE 6) over the top or in place of the latest version of Java (i.e. SE 7).

I see many people have the same problem, but there appears to be no clear answer from Adobe staff.

So big waste of time. 

The more difficult the update process is, the less often people will update their products, ultimately this will impact on Adobe's bottom line.  So please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not an expert on internals, but it seems to me I've seen Chris Cox write that Photoshop doesn't use Java at all.

If you're getting a message, it could be from a 3rd party plug-in you've added to Photoshop.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Noel but I don't think it has anything to do with plugins, there is an old link (pre Java SE 7) from Adobe discussing the Adobe dependence on Java.

Here is the link http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/install-java-jre-mac-os.html, unfortunately the information in the link is no longer relevant to Java SE 7.

I think this problem is clearly Adobe's responsibility to fix, some updated guidance from Adobe would be helpful.

This might be the Chris Cox link http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1079388 but I don't think it helps with this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's the comment I recalled.  Chris is saying Photoshop doesn't use Java.  Perhaps other CS applications do, but that wouldn't really explain why your setup is prompting for Java.  I know I've run Photoshop CS5 on PC without Java installed.  It absolutely doesn't require it here.  You may feel that's irrelevant, but Photoshop is built from essentially the same code for both platforms.

Have you actually tried removing all 3rd party plug-ins, extension panels, etc. to see if Photoshop will start?

Another thing to try might be resetting Photoshop's preferences to defaults.

Best of luck.  I hope Adobe chimes in.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does not use Java. For some reason Apple thought that it did, and Apple puts up the annoying "you must download..." messages when you try to install or run Photoshop.  Apple eventually fixed that issue, but I think they waited until MacOS 10.8 to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris, thanks for coming in on this.

Ok thanks I understand now that Photoshop doesn't use Java, but knowing this has not helped solve the problem.

Updating to OS X 10.8 does not appear to solve the problem according to comments here and here and many others.

This link http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/58203/mountain-lion-with-java-7-only/58841#58841, Work around for app that asks fo SE 6 when SE 7 is installed  and Running Java Apps on OS X with Only JRE 7 do seem to offer some ideas on how to fix this problem, though for 10.8. These discussions are not definitive, but something along these lines might work.  This is where we need some clear guidance from Adobe on exactly what we need to do, to get Photoshop working again.

Other possibly useful discussions found How OS X determines an app needs JavaInstalling & Deinstalling Java SE 6 & SE 7, Adobe's Installing Java SE 6, Java Mac Security and Background to SE 6 to SE 7 Changes, Java 7 & OS X .

Something along the lines of Tod Kopriva's Adobe After Effects summary Known Issues with Adobe Software on OS X Lion, and Adobe's Installing Java SE 6 but with more detail and updated to take account of Java SE 7 and applying to Photoshop would be very helpful.

Quite simply for many people Photoshop has stopped working  and we need a solution.

The most time efficient solution for me now is to set up Lightroom to use some other vendor's image editing software until these problems are sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please contact Apple. Adobe is not the party telling you that you need Java, and we have no control over the Apple OS code that is telling you that you need Java.

Photoshop CS3, CS4, CS5 and CS6 are still working just fine for most people on MacOS, so I'm not sure exactly how your system might have gotten broken, or why the OS is telling you that you need various Java versions when you do not need Java at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is only Adobe applications that have this problem?

Could it be something to do with Adobe Application Manager, that creates this java dependency?

Thousands of other people have this same java runtime problem, for example a link where hundreds of people with the same java runtime problem (read the comments) who cannot find a solution.  There are many similar links around the net, so it likely thousands of Adobe customers have experienced the same or similar java runtime problems and have wasted time looking for solutions. So my problem with Photoshop is not unique.

You say it is not Adobe's fault, fine, but if you know of a solution even if provided by Apple or someone else it would be helpful if you could provide a link or some guidance to help the thousands of Adobe customers who have had this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Apple made that mistake on more than a few applications.  Probably because Photoshop's installers used to use Java (back around CS1, CS2 or so).  But running the application has never required Java.

And we can't do anything about Apple's demand for software that our software don't use or need. (if we could, we would have already patched the OS).   And Apple says they fixed it in later OS versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2013 Oct 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is twofold really. For one thing Apple believes CS5 needs Java. Not much we can do about that I guess. However, the second part of the problem is that the JDK/JRE provided by Oracle does not properly specify its capabilities.

There is a file located in /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk.1.7.<…>/Contents/ called Info.plist . Copy this file into a location you may modify files in, say your downloads folder, then open it with your favorite texteditor. In the lower part of the file you will see the string JVMCapabilities. There you'll see the lone "CommandLine" string as well. Replace the whole structure with the following:

<key>JVMCapabilities</key>

<array>

<string>JNI</string>

<string>BundledApp</string>

<string>WebStart</string>

<string>Applets</string>

<string>CommandLine</string>

</array>

After you did that save your copy of the Info.plist and the move it to its original location – you'll need administrator privileges for that. Once that's done restart your computer and enjoy not being nagged by the JRE6 dialog anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

While all of the information is in the thread, I wanted to put together a quick reply that contains everything that you need in one place.  I have modified the instructions to remove unnecessary potential security issues which Applets, and WebStart could provide, given the right set of circumstances.

The modified instructions:

1) Install the latest JDK. As of right now jdk-8u25 (mentioned by @B van de Poel above) is the latest.

2) After installing the JDK, find a file located in /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk.1.8.<…>/Contents/ called Info.plist . Copy this file into a location you may modify files in, say your downloads folder, then open it with your favorite texteditor. In the lower part of the file you will see the string JVMCapabilities. There you'll see the lone "CommandLine" string as well. Replace the whole structure with the following:

<key>JVMCapabilities</key>

<array>

<string>JNI</string>

<string>BundledApp</string>

<string>CommandLine</string>

</array>

Note: JNI removes the warning when logging into your machine - this is for the updater.  Bundled App handles Photoshop itself.

3) After modifying the file, save your copy of the Info.plist and the move it to its original location – you'll need administrator privileges for this step.

4) Once that's done log out of your user account and back in, or restart your computer and enjoy not being nagged by the JRE6 dialog anymore.

Thank you to @flying_fortress and @B van de Poel who helped put this information together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2015 Jan 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know why but this works:

First of all uninstall Java! Then download the Java Version 6 at http://support.apple.com/downloads/D...SX2014-001.dmg .

Then restart your Computer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2015 Jan 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this option works. However Java 6 has a major security vulnerability. The better solution would be the one provided by flying_fortress. For non techies it might be a bit of work but at least its a safer solution than installing Java 6. The preferred java version for Yosemite would be jdk-8u25. Download it. Then follow the instructions as flying_fortress described, restart and your good to go 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines