• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Pen Tool Not Working as it should

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated Photoshop to v22.3 (10 March 2021). When I try to use the Pen Tool it puts the nodes in but doesn't create a linking line. I have closed everything and re-started my PC but the error still there. I've been trying to find a way to report this to Adobe but this is the only feedback area I can find. I have been using Photoshop for over 20 years and using the Pen Tool all that time. I need to complete a job but I'm now stuck as I need this tool.

Can I uninstall this update?

Anyone else having this problem?

Do Adobe monitor this feed?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 370 Replies 370
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhhh ... yes, I can just keep a work path separately and the named/saved path works as it should. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But in order to make the clipping path I have to SAVE it first ... I can't make a clipping path from the work path, it has to be 'named'...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you are misunderstanding the workaround. You merely need to have a work path present in the path palette, you do not need to create all your paths as work paths. Click in the image with the pen tool to create a work path. Now create as many new paths as your heart desires and work on them as you would normally. There is no copying, pasting, or duplicating required. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kerry, if you keep it as a work path you can't save it as a clipping path (which you need for importing eps images into other programmes) and re-work it after that. You have to copy the path again and create another work path and make sure it's in the exact correct place again.... It's ridiculous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround is in no way complicated or time-consuming. It's one more click of the pen tool to create a work path. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took my breath away to read your cumulative calculation. Me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed with *borky that the testing, automated or not - at the very least should be catching and flagging (subsequently preventing a release) ALL nuanced use cases of each tool that has existed within the IDE as of two previous versions. That is the least I expect for having paid out $50/m since 2012.

Which btw, comes out just shy of...

$5,000 !!

~ you’re never too old for a happy childhood

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@christoph_pfaffenbichler it should've been tested before rolling it out. there shouldn't have to be complicated incoherent work-arounds. stop bootlicking for a company that doesn't give a rats crusty butthole about you.

also, its not very obvious you DONT work for adobe when u defend everything they do. you're paying for a service, they aren't providing it. its as simple as that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Obviously I do not work for adobe. 

• Obviously we have to wait for, at least, the next Photoshop update. (edit: or roll back the Photoshop version)

With any luck the bug will be fixed there but there are no guarantees about that.

Bug-fixing in a program of the »size« of Photoshop cannot realistically be expected to happen instantaneously. 

And the Adobe employees who might actually know about the time-frame for any specific fixes are not at liberty to make announcements/promises to us here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Listen here Christoph. There are so many people and businesses that rely on the tools that they are PAYING FOR to work properly. Why should WE have to wait. That's like saying we have to wait months for McDonalds' to give me the fries I paid for. Do you work for Adobe or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The work-around has been explained again and again. 

For the actual fix we will have to wait … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Absolutely. 

They keep putting new features in, destroying what was there before and what was considered reliable.

Like "frames". I mean: what? There are groups, layers, masks, why would you now need frames, too? Just an example… But the path tool, yea we can live without that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the top of the page there is an »acknowledged« mark. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a post I made about guides lagging when dragged, an Adobe employee responded it would be fixed in an update coming soon, so I'm hoping the path issues are addressed as well. As to what *coming soon* actually means, we shall see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks... I had gone to the previous version of PS and your suggestion works great.
I update to the latest version of PS and let you know.

Are you using the latest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I misunderstood the workaround as well at first. 🙂

Try this:

Make sure no paths are active/ highlighted in the paths panel.

Pick the pen tool. Put a path node anywhere (outside the canvas is good). This should create a 'work path'.

Now choose the path you want to edit, and editing should be possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t see the Paths Panel in the screenshots. 

Is there Work Path (an unnamed default Path) aside from the Path you work on? 

And the condescension-accusation was directed toward me if I am not mistaken. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry.... did not mean to be condescending
Here are the snapshots...
To be a little clearer. We do a lot of fashion imaging and have to correct parts of the garment to match colour perfectly. The first path around the whole garment from start to finish works with no problem. However, when you want to use part of the existing path and modify just parts of let's say the collar, duplicating the path and deleting parts of the path and rejoining does not function. Reinstalling previous version of PS 22.2 works perfectly allowing you to join the two nodes. As you can see with the snapshot.... the latest version does not allow to rejoin the path.
Ver 22.2 does. Hope this is clearer.

PS22.2Release-ff9d3d50-759a-4063-9f57-814282534c26-841358733.jpg
LatestRelease-b2afe2f6-bec4-4a03-b20a-0e62176c91f0-1342865235.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feel free to report my posts (»Flag as inappropriate«) if you think they violate Forum Guidelines or plain proper conduct, otherwise please focus on the bug and the work-around being discussed here. 

Does the work-around work for you or not? 

edited 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the screenshot

ScreenShot20210415at11.51.33AM-66ae2505-7fad-4777-b939-87c8168a31b8-724561481.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then please post the screenshots that illustrate that the issue occurs on your computer despite the presence of a Work Path. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a beta tester since PS 1..... I think I know what I'm doing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you are working on the path...no problems, but once you close the path and wan to make changes by deleting a node and reconnection.... does not work

Have you actually read the instruction? 

Because so far it seems every time someone claimed the work-around did not work they were wrong and just did not maintain a Work Path. 

So please post screenshots including the Paths Panel to verify your claim. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oddly enough, you do not work on the work path! Create a work path, and just leave it in the list of paths. Create as many new paths as you like while leaving the work path alone, and the other paths behave normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you are working on the path...no problems, but once you close the path and wan to make changes by deleting a node and reconnection.... does not work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines