• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Pen Tool Not Working as it should

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated Photoshop to v22.3 (10 March 2021). When I try to use the Pen Tool it puts the nodes in but doesn't create a linking line. I have closed everything and re-started my PC but the error still there. I've been trying to find a way to report this to Adobe but this is the only feedback area I can find. I have been using Photoshop for over 20 years and using the Pen Tool all that time. I need to complete a job but I'm now stuck as I need this tool.

Can I uninstall this update?

Anyone else having this problem?

Do Adobe monitor this feed?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 370 Replies 370
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And again … 

Maintain a Work Path. 

Then working on named Paths should function as expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the first thing I tried and it does not work..... had to go back to the previous version and all ok

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SO much! That feature was killing my vibe. 

And yes, I hope these 'coming soon' issues are addressed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To create a work path, just click in the image with the pen tool while no paths are selected. As for the white ring, that is a Windows setting:

REMOVE WINDOWS' CIRCLE "PEN & TOUCH" FEATURE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What’s the best way to create a new Work Path? It used to not be necessary for this basic operation/task. I would just create a new path with pen tool and then use vector mask on corresponding layer.

Any insight as to why Wacom pen tool creates a white ring on screen when pressed? I may have to call my IT dept for new Comp or just request a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-Can't create a closed path to use vector mask

Did you maintain a Work Path while working on the Vector Mask? 

Could you post screenshots including the pertinent Panels? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree..... lost time and money as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I'm not budging from 22.2 until they come out with 22.4 or whatever they'll call it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Therefore: Maintain a Work Path (one point is enough), work on named Paths. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had success creating a new document and dragging the existing document layers and paths to the new document. I never created a work path but the path tool is working correctly on existing paths or copies of those paths I made to create variations. I don't know what is going on at Adobe, I've never seen so many critical bugs as over the last 12 months. Some of which still remain unaddressed. Maybe they need to concentrate more on not breaking the program instead of adding new "sparkly" tools nobody needs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The official workaround is draconian, when all you need to do is maintain a work path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And again: Maintain a Work Path then working on named Paths should work as expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still do this, as long as you then create a new work path by making a couple of points with no path selected. For some reason the bug only manifest when there is no work path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems hard to believe to me.

The work-around has worked reliably for me, so please post screenshots or a screen-recording to support your claim. (Obviously the Paths Panel needs to be included so one can see whether a Work Path actually exists …)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug has been acknowledged a while back, the work-around is to maintain a Work Path, then working on named Paths should work as expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legend!!! I was furious this morning when an Adobe agent kept sending me to the "how to use the pen tool" page of their website... Even though I showed the screen recording of this behaviour. Your solution at least makes paths usable again until it's fixed 😃 THANK YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maintain a work path and working on named paths should function as expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That must be how I got it to work 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Myra De La Cruz To make a work path, make sure no other paths are selected, and click with the path tool in the image to create a point. This will create a work path that you can just leave in the paths palette and work on the other paths normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again: Maintain a work path and working on named paths should function as expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just keeping everything as a "work path"

Not everything, just keep a Work Path. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… maintain a work path and working on named paths should function as expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that if I stop, save and reopen the issue goes away for a brief period of time.  I have a feeling its the new OS.. my laptop at home hasn't had any issues pathing and is an older macbook pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, to be able to work, you need a working path, merging with the main thread on the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You.  I now understand. Obviously this bug is a workflow slowdown

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines