• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Pen Tool Not Working as it should

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated Photoshop to v22.3 (10 March 2021). When I try to use the Pen Tool it puts the nodes in but doesn't create a linking line. I have closed everything and re-started my PC but the error still there. I've been trying to find a way to report this to Adobe but this is the only feedback area I can find. I have been using Photoshop for over 20 years and using the Pen Tool all that time. I need to complete a job but I'm now stuck as I need this tool.

Can I uninstall this update?

Anyone else having this problem?

Do Adobe monitor this feed?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 370 Replies 370
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. If the state of the path is "work path", that's the only time I can use the pen tool but if I create a new path or save the working path as a new path, the pen tool stops connecting the dots.

I also updated to Photoshop 22.3.1 and the issue is still there.

It is so strange for Adobe Photoshop to have such major issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This same Glitch has been bothering me for a while it is not consistently happening fortunately. when I do NOT have a path selected in the path pallette I get the connecting line. If I create a new path in the path pallette I get no connecting line when I draw. I am not sure how consistent this is, as I just discovered this. I shall keep an eye on this thread moving forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running photoshop 22.3.1 on Windows 10 Pro and this issue is causing me problems. I am only able to edit a new path when it is created without any path selected and I am starting a new work path by drawing with the pen tool. My workaround is to create new work paths and then paste them into existing saved paths. I hope you fix this soon Adobe. If I was still working on automotive retouching, I would have to go back to an old version of Photoshop. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What seemed to be happening with me was that if I established a path first, the pen tool only created a series of points and didn't draw the path between. Just clicking on the pen tool seemed to work as usual. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem today when establishing a path first, then making a selection. Just selecting the pen tool and clicking from point to point seemed to work as far as creating a functional path I could select or make into a clipping path, but if I created a path first, the tool didn't connect the points and just made a series of them so the application had no idea what to "select" when going to "select path." Definitely a bug that needs working out. I've been using PhotoShop since the days it was in "beta" so I knew something wasn't right!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just had the same problem. After playing with it for an hour or so I've discovered that the PenTool seems to work properly if I simply start drawing to produce a "Work Path" and then give it a name when I'm done. If I select "New Path," name it, and then draw, all I get is isolated points – no path. After the "Work Path" is named, when the path is selected, only the path itself is visible – no points. If I select the Pen tTool, then Command-Click on the outline, the points magically appear and can be edited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. At this time, I'm simply not saving my paths because if I do the path tool stops working properly. I am using v22.3.1. If they can't get this fixed, I will have to downgrade my version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue - come on Adobe please sort this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to complete and name a path and paste one path into another and connect them before this happened to me. Once I started to add to this path I've had single unconnected points since. Windows 10 Pro 19042.867 Photoshop 22.3. Going back to 22.2 This type of thing really disrupts a work day and adds unnecessary frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. Installed the latest update to 22.3.1 hoping that would fix it and it still doesn't work. Beyond frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem as everyone else has stated. The pen tool worked as normal in my initial path (work path) but as soon as it's named, I just get points, and they don't connect. macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and Photoshop 22.3.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jumping on the bandwagon. Upgraded to 22.3.1 on a Mac and still the same problem. Only way to start a new connected vector path is to start with a Work Path. I start back with Path 1 and can only get new unconnected points - no bezier curves, no point-to-point connection. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C'mon Adobe! Sort it out! This pen tool issue has still not been fixed, even after installing a new update just this morning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WORK AROUND:

Make sure you have no paths selected in the paths palette and start drawing. The pen tool will create a "work path" automatically and you will see bezier curves and lines as expected. If you first create a path using the [+] path tool you will see only points with no lines and doesn't appear to function at all with selections etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has this issue been addressed in v22.3.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl+H is my workaround.  Slows me down a lot.

Adobe engineers, we are losing money we use to pay YOUR subscription.  Why took so long (more than a month) to fix this?  Instead on bloating the software with help features.  You should focus on stability and fast bug solving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know if Adobe is addressing this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy / Paste the existing path and work on the new one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having major issues with the Pen tool, creating paths, dragging control points, etc. using PS in conjunction with Wacom Intuos Pro tablet. 

This is my work desktop that runs Windows 10. Issues started happening this year.

-My Wacom tablet pen when pressed creates a white ring on screen...super glitchy

-I'm unable to select multiple points and drag them with tablet pen. Instead, have to use the arrow keys to move a group of points.

-Can't create a closed path to use vector mask

This is driving me absolutely insane.

It's preventing me from getting my work done efficiently.

Adobe, WTF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue and the workaround is not working for me either. I hope they sort a fix for this soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the "work around".  Saved my day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact problem and did something and it started working again but couldn't figure it out what I did and now it's happening again. How do I make a working path?

I'm on Windows so I'm glad that it's happening to both platforms cause every time I have a problem my co-workers blame Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround - just keeping everything as a "work path" seems to work, but I can't figure out why Adobe rushes these updates against imaginary timelines...  No one cares about "the drop" we only care about stability.  New features are nice, but many are generations away from being adopted in any serious fashion by pro and power users.  Also, Photoshop doesn't exist in a vacuum...  Changing something as critical as Transform, but not adopting that change across the entire suite of programs is just frustrating.... Yeah, I know you can change it in preferences, but it still ate up a couple of hours researching what the problem was... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and it is still happening.  Trying to create a path around an object and it continues to stop working.  On a new iMac 2020 Intel chip, running OS Big Sur version 11.2.3 - I have used this program for over 20 years and know its not a traditional function.  I've reset the tool, closed and opened Photoshop.  Restarted the computer.  I am using a wireless bluetooth apple mouse, apple keyboard. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, any word when an update will be released?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines