• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Pen Tool Not Working as it should

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated Photoshop to v22.3 (10 March 2021). When I try to use the Pen Tool it puts the nodes in but doesn't create a linking line. I have closed everything and re-started my PC but the error still there. I've been trying to find a way to report this to Adobe but this is the only feedback area I can find. I have been using Photoshop for over 20 years and using the Pen Tool all that time. I need to complete a job but I'm now stuck as I need this tool.

Can I uninstall this update?

Anyone else having this problem?

Do Adobe monitor this feed?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 370 Replies 370
LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I cannot draw paths with the pen tool unless there is a Work Path in the document.

Steps to repro:

• With no paths in doc start to draw a path using the pen tool. Work path will be created and Pen tool functions as expected.
  • If that work path is then converted to a named path trying to draw any further paths with the pen tool will result in only bezier handles appearing onscreen, with no path/curve joining them.
  • If a new work path is created then you can a) draw paths on the work path, b) drawing new paths onto the existing named path layer works as expected.
  • Creating a new path with no work path in the doc gives the same result - can only draw points, with no curve joining them

Win 10, PS version 22.3.0, RTX 2060, Studio driver 451.77

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered this the other day. I spent 1 hour online with Adobe support which went nowhere. They suggested I use an older version and claimed not to know about the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paths that have already been created can no longer be edited. Once points are deleted, they can no longer be merged. With new paths, only segments and no anchor points are created. This is not just a scandal, it is a disaster. I wonder why more photo editors aren't asking for it.
Please help quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem!!! I hope there is a fix soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On mac 23.3, creating a dummy Work Path seems a simpler workaround than reverting to a previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phew! glad I found this post. I was going crazy, checked all my settings, deleted preferences, wondered what I was doing wrong... rolled back to 22.2 🙂 

Look forward to the fix. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WTF has happen to the path tool?!?!?! I can't work on any named path, it just draws individual nodes!! What an absolute joke!!! When will Photoshop start testing the release properly before releasing them, this impacts workflow massively!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. This is costing me time and money. Grr

Thanks for the workaround suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. 

How can stuff like this not get spotted in pre-release? It's not like creating paths is a rare requirement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here on a Mac, I went back to 22.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same problem with photoshop after the update to 22.3 version.

I'm working on windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. You need a 'work path' before the pen tool works as intended on other paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Simon_bottiger  I.m running two machine through a switch (Keyboard/mouse) but the monitor is hooked up directly yo the graphics board. I have ADM radeon and yet when I go to the PS screen that you show, I have "unknown graphics prosessor". Mind you the Pen tool use to work fine with previous versions. I think 22.2 was the last one.

I was thrilled to update yesterday to 22.5 but the Pen tool is still not working right. I can't find anywhere where to roll back to an older version, not in PS or the Craetive Cloud App.

In Device Manager I have AMD Radeon board but in PS "unknown prosessor"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JokingJ 

Updated to 22.4.3 about a week ago and still a no go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, I wouldn't hold your breath... They've now marked this issue as "solved" and seemed to have moved on to the tried and true "it's not us, it's you" mantra, and the age-old suggestions to reset preferences and uninstall/reinstall abound.

I think it will be a new version update (i.e. 23.x.x, not an iterative 22.x.x release) that will actually solve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also switched back to 22.2 and now everything works again :-). I hope Adobe will solve this soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@amyadamsart  It was so long ago I'm not completely sure. I think I tried 22.3 and that didn't work so I went back and have been holding ever since. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay - thanks for the advice folks! I just went back to 22.2 and pen tool is working again. Phew. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

22.4.1 pen tool works for me on Big Sur (Mac - Intel - and same with the M1 chip Mac) but if critical pen tooling for a client is required, just to play safe as safe can be, I use v 21.2.8 just in case. I have both loaded and both related Bridge apps loaded as well for continuity. I have stopped updating photoshop in the past month and won't again until Adobe has fixed the issue and I hear a global sigh of relief. Hope that helps. Photoshop 2018/19 already was doing all I needed it to do - updating is not really that useful to me given the frustration this year has been caused by this 2021 version of photoshop. As for the subscription - I look at that as the price for using - not for getting updates... though those are nice..... when they work (as such with advancing operating systems and hardware).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris_AllenE

So 22.4.0 didn't work for you either? I'll see if I can get back to 22.2. Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@amyadamsart I've been using 22.2.0 without any issues. I'm planning on sticking with it until I hear some positive news about the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear, obviously i'm talking about the topic issue and title:

Photoshop 22.3.0: Pen Tool Not Working as it should

The issue is that the "master" told that has been corrected, but it isn't.

I'm working on  PC, and i only solved re-installing 22.2.0. But i think this is not the solution that the "adobe Master" was talking about.

The last update is the 22.4.2 wich our master was talking about....

Sorry, but this was obvious to me, by the context itself.

But i only want to tell to adobe and all their master how much unsuful they are, together with their repetitive updates...

Hope that it's clear now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 22.4.2 on Mac OS 10.15.7 the disconnected pathPoints issue appears to be resolved but the Vector Mask-duplication issue persists for me. 

So which issue were you actually trying to talk about? 

Please provide meaningful information.

»the last update« for example is an effectively meaningless statement compared to actually giving the version number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Timothy Bowland what do you mean by "add a color"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 22.4.2 and at first the PEN tool did not work - still Invisible lines between nodes.

I  then tried to activate "Use Graphics Processor". Edit -> Preferences -> Performance.

That seems to fix the PEN tool in my case although I have other issues then, but not related to the PEN tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines