• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Pen Tool Not Working as it should

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated Photoshop to v22.3 (10 March 2021). When I try to use the Pen Tool it puts the nodes in but doesn't create a linking line. I have closed everything and re-started my PC but the error still there. I've been trying to find a way to report this to Adobe but this is the only feedback area I can find. I have been using Photoshop for over 20 years and using the Pen Tool all that time. I need to complete a job but I'm now stuck as I need this tool.

Can I uninstall this update?

Anyone else having this problem?

Do Adobe monitor this feed?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 370 Replies 370
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we are in April and I just tried updating again (since CC keeps bothering me about it), naively assuming that a month and a half later this would be resolved.

Shame on me for thinking that the devs at a multi-million dollar software company would think it prudent to fix arguably the most important path-related tool in their flagship software. I swear, the moment Affinity Photo has feature parity for everything I need, I can't wait to cut the subscription cord...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 and half the students in my Advanced Photoshop courses have this same issue.  Pretty frustrating when I give them assignments based on Paths and they don't work.  At first I blamed them, and then it happened to me which led me to this thread.  ADOBE - PLEASE FIX ASAP!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rename path as" Work Path" and it will work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi The latest version of Photoshop 22.3.1 the pen tool now works I have just tried it on my windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me, just updated to 22.3.1 but the bug is still there...

The issue is random but generally it appears after the 3rd  clipping path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since at least the last couple of versions of PS CC macOS (currently 22.3.1), the pen tool has been unable to draw paths on a labelled Path layer.

In the Paths panel, if you use the 'New Path' button [+] to create a new path (Path 1) and attempt to draw a path into it, the pen tool will only place points; nothing is connected. Pathfinder operations (merge, intersect etc) are also not working.

ScreenShot20210416at4.28.14pm-7ebbb6fb-c421-4d5e-9b03-ba128e7e328e-1991371370.png
Pen tool only creates points in named path (Path 1)

If using the Pen Tool without first creating a new path, the default Work Path is created and this still functions normally. If the Work Path is converted into a named path, then the same problem occurs again - nothing new can be added as the pen tool will only place points.

ScreenShot20210416at4.28.37pm-b477a11b-cfac-4ccd-a0aa-55e2263ed57b-450431509.png
Pen tool will create connected path only on 'Work Path'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.... this is really import for my work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem..... and this is very important.... I use this option continually

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oui, toujours le même problème après les 2 mises à jours de Adobe disponibles aujourd'hui.

Personnellement je mémorise mon tracé seulement quand il est terminé.

Le problème ne se produit pas sur un tracé de travail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMFG. New patch released today. 

Paths are still BROKEN.

Adobe, this is a tool used by countless professionals across multiple industries and we depend on the Paths working as expected. For this to be broken for more than a week is unacceptable. To be broken for what will eventually be months, is unimaginable.

Have you forgotten who your market is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was a Beta Tester for Photoshop 1.0, and a few subsequent iterations. As my workload grew, it was no longer worth the time/effort to test buggy software. But beta testers at the time were sternly warned to keep up with bug reporting, etc. 

What I find regrettable now, is that there doesn't seem to be a good bug reporting pipeline to Adobe for general users. The greater the sampling, the more likely that an aggregate number of users will discover a bug that a much smaller group of registered beta testers might miss. Especially as working users are running the app through a wide range of real life operations on a daily basis. I get the feeling that no one is listening. 

I do see a parallel with software and civil infrastructure: Politicians prefer to create something shiny & new, rather that repair a crumbling bridge. So fixing the persistent bugs seasoned users highlight, may not attract new users the way a shiny new feature does (even if it doesn't work very well).

Adobe, if you ARE listening, please consider supporting a venue where experienced users can document bugs & offer feature requests. Yes, there will be a lot to sift through, but at the bottom may be plenty of gold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I’ve got the same problem. Please give us a fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the PS development will fix everything in the next release v23

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've lost time and money because of this bug. I've had it with Adobe. It's not worth the $50/month. I can get better reliability from old copies on CD. 

~ you’re never too old for a happy childhood

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just reverted to PS 22.2.0 which seems to remedy the pen tool bug.

I also had strange behavior with control points in Curves.

Can't believe Adobe hasn't corrected this yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue on a Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7

Path works ok (editable) when it's a "Working Path" but once the path is named ex Path 1 , then the problem starts. A really bad new bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has no one seen the Adobe post about this (attached)?

Adobe, when will there be a fix for this important issue?

ScreenShot20210330at9.07.48AM-6d8b9d12-7a10-4290-985d-d4a1c734faf9-1305117439.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why PS 22.3 is full of bugs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea I have done the same downgraded to 22.2 till these bugs been fixed in the new release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue seems to crop up when naming the path layer in involved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue on Windows 10

Photoshop v22.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When drawing a clipping path, I used to be able to stop in the middle of it to save it (give it a name) and then continue drawing it. The latest update seems to have "broke it".  I can no longer add to a path. Adobe, please put it back the way it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot20210331at11.42.17-bb7d3487-3c72-4906-8348-f0a830d1f499-93802534.png

When drawing a path over an existing one using the pen tool, the line are not shown anymore, only the knots.

Except if I use the freeform, the line is shown.

WTF!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the latest update, when using the pen tool to edit an existing path (like to add in a path around a gap you missed when etching) - Photoshop will only add anchor points to that path, and refuses to link them to draw a shape. Instead you just get lots of floating anchor points with no path connecting them.

If you click off your path in the palette so there are none selected, then start drawing a path, Photoshop creates a new work path and draws normally. This path can be copied and pasted into your saved path just fine, but if you click into any saved path it reverts back to the new anchor point only behaviour.

I can't see how this is useful in any way, so it must be a bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  I did find that I had to dupe the existing path into a Work Path to edit the points. This is a serious production issue here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines