• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 24.3 Strobes in Black and White when Opening files

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when attempting to open a photo in Photoshop on my HP Laptop, details below, the photo appears in the layers tab bottom right, but not in the workspace /desktop: It is a constant Black / White strobe. The desktop /workspace flashes Black and white

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎24/‎03/‎2021
OS build 19044.2604
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Hi All,

Apologies for the flashing/strobing you're experiencing when opening files, this tends to affect older graphics cards (GPU) that don't support all of the aspects of DirectX 12.

For Windows:

1. Update Photoshop to version 24.5 or later
  2. Enable the Older GPU Mode option in Preferences > Technology Previews > “Use Older GPU Mode (pre 2016)"
  3. Check if there's a GPU driver update available and update if so

For macOS:

1. Update Photoshop to version 24.5 or later
  2. Update to a newer or latest ma

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

We would like to find out if there are any of you on Windows for whom:

A. Use Older GPU Mode is Checked, and

B. Deactivate Native canvas is Unchecked, and

C. are still experiencing this strobing issue with a GPU that supports DirectX 12?

If so, could you please provide Photoshop's Help > System Info dialog text in this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 1249 Replies 1249
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nicod18873934 did you enable the option so that it looks like this and then restart Photoshop

2023-03-25 10_03_30-Preferences.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The flickering stopped but the canvas with my image is now pitch black

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@liezlh47 try also enabling "Older GPU mode (pre 2016)" in preferences, you'll find in the same preference settings, again restart Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you it worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!  That worked instantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes That fixed it. Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hilfe, ich bin verzweifelt;

Das Öffnen einer Bild-Datei (z.B. jpg oder tif) in Photoshop Version 24.3.0 funktioniert nach dem heutigen Update nicht mehr.
Anstelle des Bildes erscheint nur eine hochfrequent flackernde weiße Fläche! (Im beigefügten Screenshot ist das hochfrequente Flackern natürlich nicht sichtbar.)

Anbei Screenshots:
-> 01: Photoshop bringt anstelle Bild-Datei nur weiße Fäche zur Anzeige.

-> 02: Kompatibilität GPU

-> 03: Betriebssystem-Info

Kann jemand helfen?

Danke!

P.S: In Photoshop Elements funktioniert alles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

siegmundh713447066 try enabling this option in preferences and restarting Photoshop

2023-03-22 14_19_38-Adobe Photoshop 2023.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Danke!!

Problem gelöst und Dateien lassen sich wieder öffnen.

Nochmals herzlichen Dank!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auch von meiner Seite, vielen Dank. War auch bei mir die Lösung. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@siegmundh71344706 you're welcome 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ich habe dasselbe Problem. Diese Programmversion habe ich deinstalliert und die ältere Version 24.2 installiert, dann klappt es wieder mit dem Laden von jpg-Dateien.

Allerdings ist das nicht die echte Lösung. Mich ärgert es, weil ein Update ja Verbesserungen und keine Rückschritte liefern sollte. Photoshop sollte sich hier etwas einfallen lassen, oder hat noch jemand einen Tipp zur Behebung des Problems ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Habe das Update wieder installiert und die vorgeschlagene Änderung der Voreinstellungen vorgenommen. Hat funktioniert, danke für den Tipp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newest update for photoshop is BUGGED. When trying to do anything in the program i get a flashing black & white screen. I had to re install an older version to correct the problem. Serious issue if people are sensitive/seizure prone.. not good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @david292409367dc0 to fix - Try resetting your Photoshop preferences manually.
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset-preferences
Next go to Photoshop Preferences/Technology Preview and check “Disable Native Canvas”.

Then check “Use Older GPU Mode (2016)”. Quit and relaunch PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@david292409367dc0 go to Edit > Preferences > Technology Previews and enable this option, then restart Photoshop

2023-04-02 12_57_44-Preferences.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

again, in the newest update i had no options to click or change anything.. it was just a constant flashing screen, i installed old version. im not looking for help, im looking to bring this to adobes attention as its a potential serious issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @david292409367dc0 this is already well documented in the forum. This is the solution to resolve the graphics card issue in the latest PS build. You should have had options as listed to resolve this without having to roll back to a previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then im shocked they havent fixed the issue... Again i had no options to change prefferences or settings. All i had was a flashing screen.  Going into the creative cloud and rolling back to the last version was the only solution for me to even be able to open PS (i also have a strong gaming pc build with up to date parts and specs) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@david292409367dc0 are you running your GPU with a gaming driver or studio?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Studio! As i also work with audio software (audio engineering) with the same computer as well so i had the company i worked with that helped me make the pc build to optomize my computer to work well for pro tools/ video editing software as well as gaming and streaming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ged, this worked for me. What on earth are Adobe doing - releasing an update with a bug that means we can't use it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Just as seen wrote:

"What on earth are Adobe doing - releasing an update with a bug that means we can't use it?"

As a volunteer, I can't speak for Adobe, but this is an issue only for those with older GPUs that don't support all of the aspects of DirectX 12.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently the new official advice is to check "older GPU mode", but not "deactivate native canvas".

The reason is that "deactivate native" reverts to older OpenGL code, and OpenGL rapidly drops out of support everywhere. That checkbox will sooner or later be removed.

It is also implied, from what I hear, that this affects older GPUs that don't support all current aspects of DirectX 12. The good news with that, is that there is a definitive cure, which is to replace the ageing GPU with a newer one. Yes, I know that costs money, but maintaing a computer system to evolving standards does cost money. Sooner or later everything gets obsolete, and your only option to avoid that is to deep-freeze your entire system - don't update anything. Then it will work forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My pc build isnt over a year old with relatively new parts (ram was replaced recently and has been tested and running at tip top shape) and as stated my pc was built to be capable of running these programs and multiples at the same time, its not a computer or aging gpu issue.  Ill just stick to using PS (24.2.1) as that version works as it should! Just think this mid software update is bugged as thats the only thing that changed and created an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines