• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Painfully slow photoshop artboards (and a bit of history)

Contributor ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using photoshop since version 4.0 so a few years have passed.

Some time ago, I don't remember how long ago, Adobe introduced artboards - cool - a useful thing.

Unfortunately, artboards are probably the slowest and at the same time the most important(sic!) functionality of PS.

Before artboards were introduced, I used to create huge dimension files where I put all my projects on one canvas - very convenient, and most importantly super-fast.
Digart-portfolio-15.jpg

Now for comparison a video of today's work with artboards (sorry for the blur)
I think most of you know the pain.  youtube.com/watch?v=UOu7y6hnx_4

File recorded on a Macbook pro i7.
For the test I checked it on a maxed Apple silicon pro.
It runs ...minimally faster, still with massive lag.

The question is whether Adobe is going to do something about it?
It's not the cause of slow computers but low quality code.

Maybe a bit of an overstatement with this "low-quality code," but after reading 14 articles on AfterFX (below), the following are mentioned as the main reasons for slowness: programmers, cost, difficulty of programming, and backward compatibility. But definitely the ball is in adobe's court. Our monthly payments too....

--- 
https://www.provideocoalition.com/after-effects-performance-part1-in-search-of-perfection/
By the way, I recommend a great series of articles on AFX and adobe. 
You will find out from it why it is so slow....

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before artboards were introduced, I used to create huge dimension files where I put all my projects on one canvas - very convenient, and most importantly super-fast.

By @Stackola

It still is one big canvas, the artboards are just special groups that provide a cropped "window/portal" to view/work in a specific area. Adobe didn't rewrite Photoshop to be a multi-page/canvas app, it still uses a single canvas.

Personally, I'm not a fan of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same bug with latest version (june 2024) with a i9 intel, 32 gb RAM Macbook Pro. Simply can not work with it.
Frustration is a kind word to describe this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same bug with latest version (june 2024) with a i9 intel, 32 gb RAM Macbook Pro. Simply can not work with it.
Frustration is a kind word to describe this problem.

By @jorge albertob79904233

It is yet to be determined if this is a bug or not.

What is the canvas size dimensions in pixels that contains all the artboards? What bits/channel depth?

Does a document at the same pixel dimensions and bit depth with the same layers (just no artboards) have the same performance issues?

This would help to determine if this is a bug relating to artboards as you would then be comparing apples to apples.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not either, I didn't use them for a very long time, at some point I started,
and now I have the desire to throw my computer out the window.
Besides, I often get files with artboards, so I have no way out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2024 Jul 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Photoshop since 4.0 as well hah.  

Anyways wow yeah.  Artboards seem to have actually gotten worse? Borderline unusable - even on a super powerful machine (4090 / 128 GB Mem etc).  I only have 3 boards at 4k size and it takes upwards of 30 seconds to move items from one board to another.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 13, 2024 Sep 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is sick, and of course adobe pretends not to know what is going on 🙂

And the Difference is clear - as in the example I gave.
10 years ago it was possible to work with a huge document without any problem.

Now with artboards it is impossible

What do you say to that @Stephen_A_Marsh ? Have you determined whether “it is a bug or not” ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2024 Sep 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you say to that @Stephen_A_Marsh ? Have you determined whether “it is a bug or not” ?

By @Stackola

I'm just an end user, like you. I'm a forum volunteer, not an Adobe engineer or employee.

I see complaints, but no sample files or  helpful details to attempt to replicate the issue.

I don't usually use artboards, and when I do they are not "huge" and there aren't "many" of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 14, 2024 Sep 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ok ...replicate the issue, mon, never worked on twenty artboards? It doesn't take much to reproduce it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines