Exit

Paint bucket is not working when trying to paint a selected area in layer

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have Photoshop CS6.

If I select a rectangle area and then I use Paint Bucket tool to paint it, it works perfectly.

However, I have a layer with a rectangle drawn in it. Then I control click in it so that the rectangle in the layer is selected. Then I choose paint bucket tool and try to paint that rectangle, but nothing happens. Nothing happens even in the history panel.

What may be causing this and how can I solve it?

The layer is correctly selected also.

Thanks

Jaime

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Looks by words, like you're doing everything right, but it's really hard to tell where things are going wrong, without a photo to see your setup when you're trying this.

One workaround, though - instead of using the paint bucket, try Edit>Fill>Foreground Color (I don't remember the exact wording in CS6, but it's something like that). Or the keyboard shortcut is (if you're on Windows) Ctrl+Alt+Backspace for foreground color, and Ctrl+Backspace for background color.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see any error message? Perhaps you are trying to paint Shape layer or Smart Object layer? Screenshot with entire window and Layers panel visible will be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello... I have created a video to show the problem. Please see it in this link: https://youtu.be/8dRNfkjaOHM

Finally my workaround was to make a new selection over the layer and then paint it, but I am wondering why it does not work the way I was doing before.

Cheers

Jaime

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For me everything works fine, Win 10, Ps 23.1.1

2022-02-03_14-59-18.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines