• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paste Into function not working in Photoshop

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "paste into" function just stopped working for me today. When I make a selection in photoshop, then try to paste an object from illustrator, it just pastes it on top of the image and the selection is gone. This function has worked for years with no problems. At first I thought I needed to update my photoshop, which i did, along with illustrator. And it still doesn't work. I tried to get help with Adobe chat, but they wanted to charge me money! For a problem that shouldn't be occurring!!! Extremely frustrating. Does anyone have any solutions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

It worked, Muqqarib! So is the problem illustrator? It won't let you paste into from that program? Or do I need to adjust my settings in Illustrator to allow me to do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Its working fine for me.

Can you please try to select this legacy composting option and restart and see if its work if you are using Photoshop Cc 2019.

Screenshot_6.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it, quit and reopened Photoshop and it still didn't work. Do I have to restart my computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it, quit and reopened Photoshop and it still didn't work. Do I have to restart my computer?

SHELLY KAMANITZ

Director of Marketing

& Creative Services

617.965.7200 x125

shellyk@newtv.org

newtv.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, no need to restart. Can you please try this method.

Select an object from illustrator and copy it in photoshop on separate document and then copy it from separate doc and then paste it into your selection ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked, Muqqarib! So is the problem illustrator? It won't let you paste into from that program? Or do I need to adjust my settings in Illustrator to allow me to do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I was able to paste into photoshop from illustrator before, so i'm just wondering if something has changed in the settings, or whether it won't allow you to do that anymore. it just adds an extra step--not a huge deal, but would be nice to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, If its worked earlier for you to copy an object directly from illustrator and then paste it into your selection then I think its something with your illustrator setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sounds like normal operation. For "Paste INTO"  (Alt+Shift+Ctrl+V) The marching ant will also be deselected when you use "Paste in Place"  (Shift+Ctrl+V). However, Past Into will paste all the pixels in the clipboard into the new Photoshop layer where Past in place may not.

I do not use AI.  However I do use Photoshop. When you have an Active selection and use Paste Into the marching ants will be deselected.  However, the selection should still be in effect because an unlinked layer mask containing the selection was added to the new layer in  Photoshop which will confine what what is visible in the new layer to the selection area used when you used place into.

I use Place Into all the time to tile images onto a canvas and confine what is visible to the place into area.  I resize the image first to fill the selection the layer mask mask off any excess image when the image and selection have different aspect ratio.  The image will be wider or taller then the selection area. 

Here I simply use PrtScn to copy my displays to the clipboard then use paste into. You should see the selection was deselected the layer mask was added and it confines what is visible to the selection area.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, the marching ants (selection) usually is deselected when you paste into, but it should still be active in trapping the image into the selection. It no longer does that for me. Instead, the image is pasted over it without utilizing the selection as a mask.

This has worked for me for years and just stopped working today. Maybe I will try a restart of my computer. I tried selecting the "legacy compositing" box as suggested by Muqqarib above, but it didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the method i told you open your illustrator object into photoshop or copy it into photoshop on separate doc then copy it from photoshop doc and then try to paste it into your selection.

It will work.

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I wrote I do not install AI.  Can you detail what steps you did in senquence AI and Photoshop. Note AI and PS versions you use.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ai version CC 2019 and PS version CC2019.

I selected all and copied from Illustrator then tried to paste into photoshop using the selection. It didn't work. But when I used Muqqarib's method of pasting directly from Illustrator into Photoshop, then taking that image from photoshop and pasting into the selection, it worked. The question now is whether or not i can go directly from Illustrator to paste into Photoshop without that extra step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I also have the same problem. However, I tried those steps you all mentioned, I still cannot use the Paste Into function into Photoshop CC2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i have read this enture thread several times & have tried the suggested methods (applicable where I am simply trying to copy/paste a jpg - that was edited & saved in photoshop - into my photoshop document). i am working with CC CS21. Paste Into worked once two days ago but hasn't worked since. Again, i have read this thread & tried setting preferences, copying my jpg into a new document & copying from there... This is a pretty basic function & i am really annoyed with the software. i thought a CC subscription would come with better updates, fixes, and fewer inconsistencies but this is causing me to second guess my impressions of the assurances of "the cloud." i don't even know what kind of help to ask for because in this thread the Adobe moderator keeps repeating himself & ppl are continuing to have problems with Paste Into. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines