• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paste Offset (moves the pasted item)

Participant ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually, 95% of the time, a pasted item is identically positioned (but on a new layer)

but SOMETIMES the paste is offset and out of place. I can't work out why it does this, I literally don't do anything differently, but sometimes it pastes in a different position and I have to nudge it back up.

Does anyone know why?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is a Selection active or not?

If a Selection is active does the copied pixel content actually »touch« the Selection’s bounds at all four sides?

What is the position and magnification of the image on screen?

If one needs to duplicate Layer content with identical position cmd-J is the way to go instead of cmd-C and cmd-V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And please post screenshots including all pertinent Panels to illustrate your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your response but a screenshot of my panels would not further illustrate my question.

Usually the paste works absolutely fine, but sometimes, for seemingly no reason at all, it will offset the position.

It's not a huge obstacle, I can nudge it back over but I just wondered why.

I'm an old Photoshop user of many many years, I'm stuck in my habit of CtrlC and CtrlV I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Th screenshot should naturally have included the Canvas, not just the Panels.

Once again what about:

The Selection?

The selected pixel-content relative to the Selection?

The position of the image on screen (and relative to the original Selection)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, A video screen capture could work, have it running while you work, then trim it to the places where you run into the issue.

You did not state either how far it lands, I'm with Christoph I suspect a selection where the new stuff would land.

The CTRL+J to "jump" to a new layer is very old, and what is good is that it does not use the OS clipboard, so you get less memory fragmentation, less possible problems with third-party apps, and stuff usually lands in the same spot. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option is that the Selection covers more area than the original pixels in at least one direction – when one copies and pastes the pasted pixels will be placed in the middle of the Selection but the original pixels were not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have video screen capture, sorry. I also can't predict when it happens, there seems to be no reason for it when it does happen.

95% of the time, copy and paste works exactly how you would expect.

I don't know how to respond to " I'm with Christoph I suspect a selection where the new stuff would land."

But, the pasted item is about 15 pixels out of place. It takes me a few Shift+Nudges to re-position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again …

What is the spatial relation of the copied pixel content to the Selection (if any)?

Please post meaningful screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have answered all your questions.

There is no more or further or other way I can explain it.

Maybe someone else would like to chime in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have not answered my questions in a meaningful manner and you apparently refuse to post screenshots.

So once again:

What is the spatial relation of the copied pixel content to the Selection (if any)?

Please post meaningful screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no wish to argue with anyone.

I have responded about the screenshots and the "spatial relation"...

If you haven't understood the meaningful manner of my responses, then I'm sorry but I cannot do more.

I shall happily wait until someone else may have an idea about why, sometimes, items are pasted out of position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have responded about the screenshots and the "spatial relation"...
If you haven't understood the meaningful manner of my responses, then I'm sorry but I cannot do more.

I had indeed skipped a few sentences and apologise for that.

Still you could have posted some plain screenshots, video capture, while it might have been helpful, is not absolutely necessary to help clarify Layer structure and Selection position.

FAQ: How do I capture and post a screen shot or video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christophe, evocrim did state that the offset is about 15 pixels.

Evocrim, yes, a selection can be inactive, but present in memory of you a Ctrl+D, you can    « reselect » it with a Ctrl+Shift+D, if you see marching ants, it is active, but can be hidden...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this can help illustrate the relevance of the spatial relationship of Selection and Pixel Content and the position of the image on screen:

pastePosition.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The questions were unclear, sorry. I do appreciate you trying to help.

I searched what you meant by "active" selection and the web offered no results. Adobe support pages did not seem to mention selections being "active or not". You draw a box, circle, or polygon and copy; I've never had to "activate" a selection so I can't answer that.

Yes, the thing I'm copying meets the edge of the selection.

The screen magnification and position would be typical: central position at 50% 66.6% 100%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post screenshots (including Canvas and pertinent Panels like Layers) to illustrate what you are doing.

You draw a box, circle, or polygon and copy; I've never had to "activate" a selection so I can't answer that.

If you used a Selection Tool (Rectangular Marquee Too, Magic Wand Tool, …) to create a Selection or loaded a Selection from a Channel or loaded a Path as a Selection etc. then a Selection is active (and Select > Deselect is not grayed out).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your image is zoomed in on the canvas to any degree, PS will try and center the pasted image in you window, and not the actual image, unless you use shift-ctrl-V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good idea Chuck, thank you, but I don't think the zoom % is affecting it. The next time it happens I will double-check whether I just zoomed in or out or not. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you find a situation in which you can reproduce the issue at will please post the observation here.

Firstly I am curious and secondly as I have done you a disservice with my sloppy reading I would like to figure out what the issue is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was it.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope this helps

Edit>Paste>Paste in Place

Not sure if you know this already or not lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines