• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Patterns and Layer styles cause Photoshop to slow to a crawl on a high-end machine

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Dell XPS 15 with 64GB ram, 2TB SSD and Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650. I run multi-GB files in Photoshop all the time with no issue. I noticed several years ago that when working on rendered plans that use fill layers with layer styles applied - particularly patterns - that Photoshop slows down immensely. This actually caused me to change my workflow so I would be able to minimize this issue by avoiding using patterns in my work.

I'm currently doing work for a client and their graphic standard requires the use of fill layers with pattern overlays. I have created a video to show the difference between working in two files open at the same time, same machine, with same performance settings applied. The file with pattern layer styles - a modest 295MB - is incredibly slow, taking abnormal amounts of time to zoom, pan, move, change blend mode, opacity, apply new settings, etc. The other file - with 1.65GB, zooms in and out easily, pans normally and is able to be edited, altered and changed with no lags.

See video:

https://youtu.be/LFVXS8NitSE

There is obviously a major bug in using pattern overlays. I created each of the patterns myself and each individual pattern tile is less than 1mb, often between 100 - 500KB. I am unable to rasterize the layers due to the firm's graphic standards which require all the layers to be fully editable for team collaborations. Please advise on an update or bug fix ASAP. And if you watch the video, you'll see exactly what performance settings I have.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @FutureLandscapes It's been a few days since you posted. Is this still happening? Thanks for taking the time to make the video to show us what's going on. It seems everything is running slower than it should. Have you been using this same XPS for the last several years while having the same problem through many releases? What troubleshooting have you tried so far? When did you last reset your Preferences? https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

Also, I notice you're allowing Photoshop to use 80 percent of Memory Usage, while 70 percent is recommended. You have 2 cache levels, try 4. Did you update the latest NVIDIA Studio driver? If you are running the Gaming driver, that might cause conflicts. If you are still experiencing a slow-down after trying these changes, please go to Help > System Info, copy and paste the text here in a reply, and we'll see if we can spot anything else going on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines