• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen path not visible

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, my pen tool path is not visable. I've checked the "disable native canvas" option in preferences, but because my GPU is not compatable, it did not help, and this just freezes my photoshop when I try to open a new document. Is there something else I can do to get the pen tool working?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps described here:

Preferences in Photoshop (adobe.com)

Please backup your settings before resetting the preferences. You can check:

Preferences in Photoshop (adobe.com)

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunatley, the problem was not resolved with this step

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Photoshop do you use?

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which of the modes are you using with the Pen tool? Is your path selected? Can you show a screen shot of your Layers and Paths panels (Window menu).

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the regular Pen Tool. If i'm working in paths, the only way to see the path I create is to scroll up or down on my image, and then it becomes visible. If I'm working in layers, I have to toggle the vivsibility to make it appear. If I select mask from the options bar, I am able to see the paths I create in real time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The modes are on the left side of the options bar. Your's shows Path as the mode. You didn't show the Paths panel (sharing a panel group with Layers).

Paths are invisible unless the Path is selected in the Paths panel, so we need to see that panel, please.

Do you have a reason for the mask on a transparent layer? Are you trying to create a vector mask? What is your goal with the paths?

Also: are you new to Paths or are you an expert and they are not working as they did before?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am brand new to photoshop. I've got maybe 40 hours of fiddling with it. I was just looking myself for reasons that it wouldn't work and clicked mask just to see what happens....When I noticed the pen tool didn't work, I was following a tutorial on making a selection with the pen tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You only see a path when it's selected in the Paths panel. When the path is deselected, you will not see in on screen. Please show your Paths panel so we can better assist.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/editing-paths.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that not the paths panel showing in the last screenshot (4)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do Ctrl + T while your Work Path layer is selected what do you get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Free transform cursor shows up on it's own, then when I take a screenshot the box appears around the path . See screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks to me it's a display issue - what's your graphics card and the driver...?
A path with default setting would look like this:
Screenshot 2022-06-09 at 21.20.42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lance24586788x2zb wrote:

Is that not the paths panel showing in the last screenshot (4)?

Yes, but it's hidden behind the Layers panel so we can't see it. Click the tab name to bring it to the front so we can see your paths.

A9CCA1D9-A781-454E-A930-6534BCB6C8D3.jpeg

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/workspace-basics.html 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lance24586788x2zb 

Screenshot 7 has the Paths panel. You have one Work Path, which is temporary. To name it and keep it, double-click the words and type a new name.

3329A018-367C-43A1-A438-EBFC9CF85E9C.jpeg

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/editing-paths.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have renamed it as you said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Kenneth, yes I do have an incompatable GPU. I mentioned that on my first posting above. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

> yes I do have an incompatable GPU
Can you install an older version of Photoshop that is compatible with your system...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines