• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen Tool not working since last PS CC update

Explorer ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a Mac with Catalina Ver 10.15.4. Since last Photoshop CC 2020 update the Pen Tool is acting most peculiar. I can't add a node onto a Path, When I click onto the Path the node misses the line and starts a new Path. If I create a Path inside a Path and and select the Path PS inverts the Path and won't select the inside Paths. I've tried all the settings and still it won't work properly.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»If I create a Path inside a Path and and select the Path PS inverts the Path and won't select the inside Paths.«

The it stands to reason to assume that you set the wrong Path Operation. 

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Paths, Options Bar, …) visible and with the subPathItems selected? 

»I can't add a node onto a Path, When I click onto the Path the node misses the line and starts a new Path.«

Again: Screenshots might help illustrate what you try to describe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks C_ for your response

I didn't have the "Auto Add/Delete" that solved the adding a node problem, but I still am having trouble getting the inner path to select and getting the Path when selected to not inverse? Pen tool_5673.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the subPathItems and set them to the correct Path Operation. 

pathOperation.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not sure I am doing this correctly. I never had this problem before and often make complext paths. I changed the setting as your image was shown. Still when I select the select path it won't select the inside path and inverses the path, selecting the outside of the object and not the inside and its inside path. Adobe Shot 2020-05-29 at 8.48.53 AM.pngAdobe Shot 2020-05-29 at 8.48.29 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In post 1 I asked: 

»Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Paths, Options Bar, …) visible and with the subPathItems selected?« 

Will you do that already

In your screenshot the subPathItems are not selected. 

And my screenshot was only intended to show where to set the Path Operation, which one you need you should be able to figure out yourself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I don't know what the "Sub-paths" are? Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SUB PATH? Shot 2020-05-29 at 9.18.22 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That subPathItem is set to »Combine Shapes« which would seem to make no sense if it is suppoesed to knock out.

But I asked not for one subPathItem to be selected but them all. 

»subPathItems« are the individual vector objects (closed or open) that a Path contains. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like no matter how I select the path, no matter what sub-path is selected I get the same result, no inner path becomes part of the whole selection. All that happens is the outer path becomes an inverted selection, selecting the outside the path to the border of the page as seen in one of the screen shots I sent earlier.Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 9.50.17 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try »Exclude Overlapping Shapes« for all the subPathItems. 

Isn’t that name obvious? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks that works, but it still inverts the selection. But, could live with that.

Thanks for you help.

EG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a jpg with the Path. 

Is there possibly a rectangle of the size of the Canvas involved? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If »Exclude Overlapping Shapes« does not produce the intended result there might be duplicates of one of the Paths (one removes, the second adds again). 

There might be some other malfunction but without seeing the Path itself it’s impossoble to tell so please post a jpg with the Path

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 10.10.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue. Some days I have to select "combine shapes" in the drop down menu and it works. I go back the next day, still having "combine shapes" selected, and then it doesn't work again. I don't know what happened to it in this update, which is really frustrating because it's the main tool I use for masking. Anyone have any solutions as to why paths created inside of other paths are no longer able to be selected? I've tried every option in the drop down menu and nothing works. It either selects my inside paths or just my outside. It will not combine them at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide a jpg with one of the »faulty« paths.

Or at the very least a meaningful screenshot. 

So far I have not noticed any unexpected Path-behaviour on 21.1.3. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop 22.3.0 on an iMac 27" 2020 model, and it is a NIGHTMARE!!!! The pen / path tool is near impossible to use. Buggy as hell. Everything the author eschempf has mentioned is true and happening in my workflow. I'm in hell. Not to mention the buggy screen-redraw (I've 40 Gb memory) in Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator PLUS they keep defaulting to their emulated color profiles - no matter how many times I apply the proper profile in Bridge or in InDesign. If I restart the app, it reverts back and all the colors go mental. I'm in hell thanks to the new iMac and latest Adobe CC updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here we go again. I've not restarted and yet Bridge has reverted back to a random Untitled color setting and flipped my apps out AGAIN! The situation at the moment is that I have to check the color profiles of each document open every half hour or so. I have to check Bridge settings as well. Quit, restart, quit, restart ... I've been in the industry for 30 years and NEVER experienced anything close to this by Adobe CC or Mac. What a horror show! Don't update your apps at the moment and don't buy the latest iMac 27in 2020. That's my advice.

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

»Bridge has reverted back to a random Untitled color«

What are the settings? 

Do they disregard embedded profiles? 

»I have to check the color profiles of each document open every half hour or so«

If you have been working in the industry for 30 years I would hope you set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and set the Info Panel to display »Document Profile«, too, and subsequently checking the Color Space should take but a glance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»The pen / path tool is near impossible to use.«

Maintain a Work Path, then normal working on named Paths should be possible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines