• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2019 - How do I lengthen an item while keeping the sides straight?

New Here ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First time posting. The new photoshop with all the shortcuts changed keeps messing me up. I am perplexed about this one... I have a pattern that I would like to simply stretch. I have learned that now you must do the opposite of Photoshop cc and hold the shift key down to scale disproportionately but while holding the shift key down the object can moves side to side as well so the end result can be askew. So what key do I need to hold down, in addition, to shift key,  to stretch an object while keeping the sides perfectly straight?

Tammi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Try with Alt/Opt in addition to Shift and drag side handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Transform to distort a layer  how you do that depends on the layer type you are transforming if you are using Adobe changed transform function. If you want transform's operation to be consistent you need to use Transform's  legacy operation. You do that by adding a PSUserConfig.txt file into you User ID Photoshop CC 2019 preferences folder.

If your free transform skewed you most likely used the Ctrl key and dragged a corner control point

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super easy one here. No need to write any code or anything. Two very easy options. One is more precise than the other if needed. Easy one first.

• When you are in transform mode, just grab one of the center spots on the edge of the image you want to stretch and move it how ever much you need to stretch it.

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 9.42.40 PM.png

Second option and the more precise version...

• In transform mode, uncheck the small chain icon so it does not tie together the width and height.

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 9.44.26 PM copy.png

• Next, click in the box corresponding to the direction you want to stretch in. In this case, Height.

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 9.38.47 PM.png

• Now, just type in how much you want it to stretch. It starts at the image being 100% size. If you want it to double in size on the stretch, type in 200 and hit enter. That's it.

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 9.39.01 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try with Alt/Opt in addition to Shift and drag side handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wait... you are right! holding down shift & option works! It does not move side to side only lengthens. Curiously that was not working the last week - but I also discovered that every once in a while photoshop suddenly stops recognizing my keyboard and then 5 minutes later it starts working again. Another question to search the forum for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines