• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2019 maintain aspect ratio on SHIFT key inconsistent

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the new 2019 update the Free Transform tool now has fixed aspect ratio on scale set to default and you hold the SHIFT key to scale non-uniform.

This would be fine if it was always the case.  The problem is that it is not the case on vector objects, the use of the SHIFT key is reversed.

Unfortunately it would seem that smart objects are treated as vector objects so when editing a document that has a mix of normal raster layers and smart object layers it can get very confusing when you come to scale the layers.  The raster layers don't use shift to constrain aspect and the smart object layers do use shift to constrain the aspect.

If scaling is going to be fixed aspect ratio by default that is fine but please make this consistent throughout all objects in the software.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Hi

You can revert to the legacy transform method

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Take a look at this bit

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default behavior while transforming layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 109 Replies 109
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked the same in other topic:Re: SCALE 2019 VERSION

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded and it's now a setting ! I was just getting used to the inverted way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank GOD! I updated PS this morning and immediately noticed the behavior was reset. Searched for this forum post again and saw the update in the Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2019 Jun 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also updated and saw the the behavior was reset. Where is preferences are you seeing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not by default is it reset you must set the preference to set the consistent way.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link to answer I posted it reply No. 92: Re: Photoshop 2019 maintain aspect ratio on SHIFT key inconsistent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally! It took 5 updates but my sanity has been restored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey everyone .. i was trying to use the  transform using the shift key to keep the proportions .. on my laptop .. for the first time ..
whattha .. it wouldnt work ..

so i found this thread ..

so confusing ..

went back into cc .. and typed in the width the % i wanted to increase the canvas size .. thinking i'd just have to do it ALL manually ..

but when i typed in the % in the width it automatically changed it in the height to correspond with the width ..

might not be as great as transform/shift to keep the dimensions .. but its a bit like a workaround ..

hope this helps ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now, Adobe went and removed that legacy option!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot Adobe. On top of hiking up prices, Adobe Fonts breaking, threatening your customers about illegal use of older software, etc... really makes me happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope still there in General preferences. Seems like it was turned off again for me after another update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines