• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 crashes when choosing manual settings for printer

Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a problem that that started after my lastet upgrade (21.0.2). When I want to print a picture and go into the settings, I want to change from "Printer handles the colors" to "Photoshop handles the colors". I am prompted to disable the printers color handling which is done in the "Main group" in the printers panel and there uner "Color/Intensity" you change from "auto" to "manual". In order to make the desired change of color profiles to "none" I click on the settings button wich causes the program to crash.

I have sent several crash reports to Adobe and in the beginning there was a link that gave suggestions to what could be the cause. I have checked several of these and not found any of them relevant to my problem with one exception: moving all color profiles out of the program, which I haven't tried yet. This is much due to the fact that I've forgotten exactly how to accomplish the task and moreover I have lost the link to recapitulate. I don't get it anymore when I send a crash report - perhaps Adobe have got fed up with all my crash reports??

I would so much appreciate some help in this matter!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Well, drivers are always a potential problem and it's true that buggy graphics drivers cause an enormous amount of trouble, including crashing. But in this case I think we can safely concentrate on the printer driver.

Try to completely uninstall the driver, including everything else you might find that is connected with this printer. Then go to the Canon site, look up your printer and download all fresh versions.

If this was me, I'd also go into my user account and delete everything I could

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What printer are you trying to print to?

Have you made sure you have updated or reinstalled the drivers for this printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am useing the same printer as I used before update namely Canon Pro-10, and yes, I have updated the drivers after the problem arose. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shot in the dark: try to hold the spacebar while clicking Print. All print settings are stored as metadata in the file and this clears everything out.

Still, it sounds like a buggy driver. The fact that it's been updated doesn't necessarily mean they fixed this particular problem. It happens that it takes two or three or even more update cycles before a bug is finally fixed.

A new Photoshop version may make slightly different calls to the driver, exposing a latent problem that previously went unnoticed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the shot! Tried it - but no. There is a bug al right, but the question is wether it's lcated in Photoshop or in the driver of my graphic card, NVIDIA GeForce GTX. 

I just tried to see what re-installing Photoshop 2019 would do and a bit to my surprize I found it didn't work either wich makes me wonder if the problem lies within the graphic card driver. How can I find out?

Still waiting for Adobe to comment on my crash-reports by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphic driver? I thought this was about printing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is about printing! But reading about different causes to the problem I got the impression that that graphic card driver could be one. Don't ask me how or why, I'm not a computer nerd. If I am on the wrong track do tell me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, drivers are always a potential problem and it's true that buggy graphics drivers cause an enormous amount of trouble, including crashing. But in this case I think we can safely concentrate on the printer driver.

Try to completely uninstall the driver, including everything else you might find that is connected with this printer. Then go to the Canon site, look up your printer and download all fresh versions.

If this was me, I'd also go into my user account and delete everything I could find there in the folder associated with the printer. There aren't any program files there, this would be all kinds of user settings that might be corrupted. But it's a difficult to predict what kinds of files this would be, so I can't be specific here. That's just what I would do.

Does it crash at the precise moment you click Print Settings? That's significant, because this is exactly when Photoshop sends out a call to the print driver. Apparently Photoshop can't handle the answer it gets back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, yes Photoshop crashes instantly when I click Print Settings. To be specific; I want Photoshop to handle the colors so I choose "Manual" for color and intensity and when I try to open these settings the crash happens.

Second, I went into Canons site and found that there has been no driver update to this printer since 2016 and I've got the latest version. Nontheless I will uninstall my driver as you suggested.

Third, I've temporarily managed to get around the problem by going inte the printer setings via Windows Control panel. There I can do necessary settings without any problem and then save them under an additional name. When I then go inte the settings through Photoshop I can see that color and intensity now is set to "manual" as wished and I need not take any further steps thus avoiding to create a crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my second reply to your answer above.

YOU DID IT!

I followed your instructions and uninstalled my printer. Re-started my computer and installed the printer through the DVD that once came with it. Then I asked the program to search the net for driver updates and they came and installed automatically. And - Hey and behold! It works!

Many thanks!

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it working 🙂

After I initially replied to this thread I saw others having similiar problems with Canon Pro-series printers. So there may be a latent issue with the driver here. If you get more problems, try to google it, because you might not be alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll remember that.

Thanks again!

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines