Exit

Photoshop 2020 crashes when launching DXO Nik Collections macOS Mojave 10.14

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photoshop 2020 crashing when launching Nik collection filters

mac mojave 10.14, photoshop 2020, nik collection 2.3

Two issues...I need Nik Collections to work!

-i open document, launch silver efex pro and photoshop crashes. 

-i removed all Nik collection files automactically and through uninstaller and yet they remain in photoshop filter directory?

Help!

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about Photoshop crashing, have you tried reinstalling Photoshop and then reinstall the Nik Plugin and see if it helps with the crash?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes and yes, still crashes

i installed two earlier versions of photoshop and still it crashs them,  i can not get any assistance from dxo about this problem, they refuse to answer my requests

silver efex is my go to filter and i am lost without it

any other suggestions as to why this is crashing my system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running Nik v 2.3? Anything older will not work with CC 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The old free NIK works just fine in CC2020. 

When the photo opens in Nik, you will see a settings box in the bottom left corner of the screen. Open the settings option and navigate to the tab labeled “After Clicking OK.” In this tab, you will want to change the setting from “Apply the filtered effect to a separate layer” to “Apply the filtered effect to the current layer.” Save the changes and it should apply to all further uses of the Nik software.

This setting is the root of the error. Photoshop will often crash when Nik Collection tries to create a new layer in the software. This workaround allows you to save the changes to the layer you were currently working on, rather than create a new layer. The only addition I will add is that you should create a copy of the layer in Photoshop before you open in Nik, in case any further adjustments such as masking are required after the effects are applied. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, this is from the NIK software site:

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 7.56.49 AM.png

It really comes down to if it works within reason or if you have to jump through hoops to make it work.

I'm glad it's working for you and thank you for sharing. 

Hopefully it will help others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow fantastic! Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only been able to get Colour Effex Pro to work for the last few years.  Everything else would crash Photoshop.  I've just stumbled across your solution and it works!!!  Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I am now able to get the different Nik programmes to work, I have hit another problem.  If I try to use the brush tool in any of the programmes Photoshop CC 2020 crashes.  Do you have an answer please for me to get around this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great Solution and worked for me. Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Finally, someone who knows it... thank you -thank you... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines