• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 Creating Empty Folders When Saving

Participant ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open a jpg file from Box Drive with Photoshop, make some edits and save the file in the exact same file format and name, Photoshop creates its own child folder (labeled Photoshop) next to the file that was just edited and saved. Why? How can I turn this feature off? I really don't need an extra empty folder in Box's Cloud file structure. Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

It is listed in the fixed issues for version 21.0.2

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 100 Replies 100
Participant ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*** Update ***

Adobe just released an update to Photoshop (21.0.1). The behavior of creating empty folders remains when saving to a network drive or cloud storage.

However, saving to local machine does not create an empty folder.

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 9.33.43 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the identical issue here... just adding my voice to the group here ... hopefully numbers carry weight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact issue here. What a frustrating mess this 2020 release has been.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue no matter what photoshop file format (psd, tif, jpeg, etc.); everytime I save a file an empty folder labeled “Photoshop” is generated. Current Photoshop version: 21.0.1. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Photoshop folders issue here, on a local server. Usually empties them out at least, but sometimes gets stuck and leaves temporary versions that don't want to be deleted.

Also having issues with "in use" files even while I'm working in them. I'll have a PSD open, hit Save, and it'll tell me I can't save to that file because it's being used by somebody else. When nobody is, and it isn't even selected/linked anywhere. Not sure if this is tied to the same issue of temporary files in the ghost folder? I have to Save As a new version and then it won't let me delete the first one (repeatedly gives me "in use" errors) until hours later or a restart.

Was hoping the latest update 21.0.1 might address either of these issues, but nope. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had the same "in use" issue but we were able to solve it. It is caused by OS X because the OS tries to create a thumbnail of the file you are saving. This causes Photoshop to give the "in use" message. We installed the "PSB Quick Look" plugin by John R Ellis. Now the OS does no longer generates the thumnails but the plugin does. You will no longer get the "in use" message. Nice addition is that you will now also see thumbnails of PSB files. It is also much quicker in generating thumbnails than the OS.

We also have the "Photoshop" folder for temp files here on the server.

Adobe please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion, but I absolutely don't agree to pay more for a plugin that solves a problem that I didn't create!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, thanks for the rec! It hasn't been an issue for me until the PS update so I assumed it was that. Not sure if it'll be worth trying to convince my company to buy/install this, but maybe if it doesn't clear up after another update to OS or PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here while saving to a network share on my Mac Pro... Please fix this ASAP !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here....
iMac Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017

Mojave 10.14.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! Annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had this issue too until friday.

i don't know what changed, but until now the problem disappeared. (this was before the update)

if i can figure out why, i let you know.

edit: i uninstalled photoshop 2019 (but keeped 2018) - maybe this solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Hopefully that works for me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this issue as well after the latest Photoshop update. Hopefully Adobe responds soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me to

Very annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Saving a PSD to a server creates an empty folder named Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears to be definetly server related. Our server is running Sierra with AFP. Is your server running AFP or is it SMB? I'm trying diferent methods, however the problem seems to persist no matter how the server runs. Adobe need to sort this promptly, we are losing hours of unchargable time to this balls up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that now. I logged out of the AFP-Server and logged in to the SMB-Server. The problem has disappeared....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am connecting with smb too (per default) - problem has disappeared since a few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can also confirm that access to the server via afp creates this problem. But I can't change the access type for 20 macs. I need to keep this type of access (afp).

Adobe must quickly resolve ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ours is running AFP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Connecting to linux server via SMB yields the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here. this is max annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over on the Adobe Bug Report and Feedback forums, Jeffrey Tranberry, Sr. Product Manager of Digital Imaging for Adobe says "We're investigating this issue. Thanks!"

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-creates-an-empty-folder-called-phot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Following for updates...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines