• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Photoshop 2021] Export "Currently Viewing Layers" into PNG file with number sequence in name

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TLDR;

pressing custom Keyboard shortcut one time will export currently visible layers into PNG file with number sequence such as 0001.png -> 0002.png ... to a certain output path.

Windows 10 / Photoshop 2021

I do NOT want Batch output, as I have to turn on and off layers that i want and output only ONE png file.

I do NOT want Layers to Files, as this is what I am doing with those exported Layers and gathered in one PSD file, and flicking those layers to be visible or invisible to make different result picture.
I do NOT want automation Action, as It doesn't record outside the photoshop itself, such as folder selection dialogue box, and It won't automate numbering sequence so no point of this.

simply said It's like there are multiple backgrounds, multiple people and multiple props and I have to combine those layers into specific combination and then output to PNG.

also I need better filenaming method that is NOT fixed project name.

at the point that these jobs are pretty tedious so at least I want to stop spending time on more tedious jobs such as editing file name everytime and pressing save button to actually save. which is driving me crazy.

What i tried:

- Setting a keyboard shortcut to File > Export > Quick Export as PNG
 this will fix the name to project name so It will try to overwrite the previous file which i really don't understand. what's the point of this function if i can't change or automate the name sequence? I don't see any settings to change those.
- Setting up a Script to automate these

this also didn't work in my level of understanding with adobe jsx.

app.activateDocument.saveAs() will open up a popup box that I have to manually specify the name and destination folder everytime which is not what i really want.
 app.activateDocument.exportDocument() is for exporting to Illustrator which i don't need.
- Editing quick-export file on $$$/Required/Plug-ins/Generator/crema.generate/lib/quick-export/index.js
 I'm not sure this is the file that makes the File > Export > Quick Export to work. I tried to find the part that is keep fixing the file name to project name and change it to current time as a string. and I couldn't make it to work. well.

If this, very simple and should be the basic function of photoshop, is impossible to do then it would be glad to know which third-party program can do this.

All i need is just very simple save function that literally saves current view as PNG with number increment in it's name, without showing me a popup box that I have to specify something everytime. that's it.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

If you search the forum, there will be many different scripts for saving incremental versions in different formats with different features.

The most recent one that I recall being here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/save-copy-incrementally-with-javascript-in-photoshop/m-p/12616102

I believe that it meets your criteria (not sure on naming though), once configured via the GUI there is a checkbox to "silently" run the incremental save thereafter.

Some search

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you search the forum, there will be many different scripts for saving incremental versions in different formats with different features.

The most recent one that I recall being here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/save-copy-incrementally-with-javascri...

I believe that it meets your criteria (not sure on naming though), once configured via the GUI there is a checkbox to "silently" run the incremental save thereafter.

Some search results here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&q=incremental%20png&noS...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow. That was quick and correct answer I asked for. like, 100%. Thanks Stephen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you link the code you used for your goal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image Processor Pro can do this when recorded into an action. Although known for batch processing, the source can be set to the open active image and when recorded into a single step action will add a _01, _02 etc (I have not tested with 100 or more saves). An F-Key shortcut can be set against the action.

IPP.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With much more effort you can change behaviour of 'File > Export > Quick Export as PNG' manipulating in 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2022\Required\Plug-ins\Generator\assets.generate\lib' .js files, then managing repetitive tasks by .vbs file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines