• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2023 freezes, everything stops bar the cursor.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have photoshop CC most recent version. It sometimes freezes on opening, sometimes within a few minutes of opening. Sometimes if you minimise it and go back 4-5 min later it will run again but only to freeze again after a minute or 2. All programs are on the 2TB hard drive with over 1.5 TB of free space. 
Any help is greatly appreciated.

windows 10.

Motherboard Integrated HD sound.

Motherboard 10/100/1000 Ethernet lan.

Arctic cooling freezer 12 low noise.

Super Flower 850w silent platinum PSU.

MSI. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 gaming x 12GB GDDR6.

2TB Kingston FURY Renegade PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD 7,300/7,000MB/s¹ read/write

1 TB ADATA SSD SATA-III, read 500MBs, write 520 MBs, silent.

32GB 2133 MHz DDR4,

32GB 2666 MHz DDR4 UDIMM,

Intel i7 8700k (6 x 3.7 GHz - Turbo  6 x 4.7GHz) coffee lake.

ASU’s Prime Z370-P II (Intel Z370) 4x usb3.1 2x usb 2.0

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try the recommendations from this page:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've worked through these but to no effect.

Thanks for trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Photoshop crashes, this is the first thing to do, try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (macOS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. You can also reset preferences upon a quit if Photoshop is running by going into General Preferences>General>Reset on Quit.

If that doesn't fix the issue:
Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop.
Still crashing? 
Go to Preferences > Performance... click Advanced Settings... and uncheck "GPU Compositing" - then restart Photoshop. Still crashing?  

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for our reply,

for whatever reason Alt+Control+Shift dosent open the option to delete the previous settings. Nor was there a reset option on quit in preferences. I have deleted PS without saving previous settings and reinstalled but to no avail.

The other options unfortunately didn't solve the proble either.

Thanks for trying,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try running the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to remove all traces of the Adobe software before reinstalling it (yet again):  https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but I doubt that will solve the issue. The M2 hard drive is new and was bought to allow for a complete fresh reinstall of everything on my P.C. Everything was deleted from the old hard drive which was a then formatted and a fresh install of everything inc windows was done on the new drive. I went this way to remove any traces or corrupt files.

Only windows and installed programs are on the new drive with the older 1TB hard drive bring reserved for images, documents etc.

I'm completely baffled by this especially after a complete fresh system install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but I doubt that will solve the issue.

By @johnl46220336

Have it your way. All we can do is suggest fixes that are known, in many cases, to work. 

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any plugins installed? If so, you might try removing them. Then restart Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Myra,

when I did the fresh install I ran photoshop without any plugins. Which made no difference. The only ones added since are Topaz which have been uninstalled and reinstalled after trying various steps along the way. Including increasing the ram photoshop has available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem seems to be on latest Nvidia driver 528.02 WHQL (1/5/2023). I rolled back to a previous driver and fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

2023 Windows version is buggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines