• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2024 25.11.0 has become a mess - how do I make 2023 my default?

Participant ,
Aug 13, 2024 Aug 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some changes have suddenly appeared in my version of Photoshop 2024 25.11.0, mainly with the pen tool and path commands and functionality. For instance, simply adding an extra node to a path has become impossible. The + icon has been replaced with a * and seems to have no purpose. Playing with the keyboard produces a + icon... but it serves only to duplicate the entire path, not to add an extra node. It's downright awful. There are other infuriating changes which just appeared overnight. This has made it impossible to work - so I'd like to make 2023 my default version and (hopefully) remove 2024 from my system. How do I do this? Thanks.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe there have been any recent changes in the way the Pen Tool operates.

Perhaps a reset of the Photoshop preferences will fix the issue:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll do that. A first for me, I have to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. I just did a fairly complex selection with the pen tool, adding and deleting points along the way, and everything works just as it always has.

Has to be corrupt preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'm going to do a preferences reset. My pen tool is very wayward in 2024.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record, I have actually worked out how to make 2023 the default, and it's the "associations" menu that pops up on a right click in bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last installed Photoshop version will take over file associations (irrespective of version number).

You can change it in Windows Settings. This is global and not just Adobe applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2024 Aug 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jerry 1066 

I agree with others that the Pen tool hasn't changed. You might also reset the tool: right-click it in the options bar, then choose Reset tool.

Confirm that you have the actual Pen tool and not one of its variants. (This has to be said, although I don't think it's your issue.)

To change the association in macOS (which you tagged):

• Right-click a file with a .psd extension
  • Cmd+I (Get Info)
  • At the bottom of the Get Info dialog, select the app you want to open PSDs.
    Choose All, not just the file you have selected.

Changing the association in Bridge is a separate step and does not change it for Finder.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't reset my preferences yet - I'm about to do it. But the following has happened to both Photoshop 2024 AND 2023.... The Move tool refuses to move anything unless it is right at the top of the layers stack. says it cannot move the target because the target channel is hidden. Only when I drag that layer up to the top can I move it or transform it. The same happens with the Type tool. Cannot use type tool because the target layer is hidden. It's not hidden at all. Work that one out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting Preferences should take care of the new issue of hidden channels and layers, but first:

• In the Layers panel, is there a red button indicating a filter?
  • Check the Channels panel to see if one is hidden

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hokay, I've reset the preferences and the pen tool is back to normal. The other issue was I think a mask that had switched on somehow. Now I have to get all my preferences and shortcuts back to where they were before. Is there any process that will save all my preferences, settings and shortcuts into one file that I can just import again in future?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The "Backup Preferences" section of this page shows you were the prefs are stored so you can save a copy to reinstall.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

However, if preferences were the cause of your issues, restoring them would be detremental.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines