• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 22.4.2 on new MacBook Pro with M1 chip: screen flickers and image disappears, black screen

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased the MacBook Pro last week and downloaded all the latest Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign. Photoshop 22.4.2 is not working well-- open an image and the screen within Photoshop flickers like crazy and turns black. Photoshop stays open, doesn't crash but you can't see anything. I tried adjusting image size and saving and it let's you do that but you can't see anything. I've tried quitting and restarting laptop but same issue continues. Is there something in Preferences>> Performanace that I need to adjust or is this going to be an on going issue? Any help is appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Go to preferences/Technology Previews then enable the option to Deactivate Native Canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to preferences/Technology Previews then enable the option to Deactivate Native Canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works. What exactly is going on here?  I had the same issue.  I discovered that unchecking Preferences->Performance "Use Graphics Processor" also fixed things.  This is a much better solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecking Use Graphics Processor turns off enhanced functions in Photoshop and is not a better solution. 

This post shows a list of features disabled when you turn off Use GPU

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By "this" I meant your solution, not turning off the GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nor deactivating native canvas or unchecing the use graphics processor fixes the issues for me ;

Photoshop still goes black 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please post your system info for us. Help->System Info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! You're a lifesaver. I've been looking for a solution for months now and nothing worked but this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this answer. This is just a comment from the peanut gallery...

I was having a similar flickering problem as well as a wonky Navigator with CC PS 22.5.1. I tried this as well as turning off the GPU. Neither solved the Navigator problem and both disabled the Rotate function on Wacom. My workaround is to use PS 21.2.12, which works fine.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

27" iMac running Big Sur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS! Was driving me nuts on my M1 Pro Max, and only when I was running it as three screens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!! None of the other suggestions worked, but this one did (Tech preview>deactiveate native canvas). (I'm on an M1 MacBook Pro.) Even updated iOS thinking that would fix it. Thought I was gonna lose my mind. Appreciate your time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone interested 'DavesCM' wrote here about this issue in more detail:

"

Go to Preferences - Technology Previews and check Deactivate Native Canvas.  Then click OK and close and restart Photoshop.

Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Open GL functions are being removed in the case of Apple, or deprecated in the case of Microsoft. This means that the graphics functions that have worked for years must be rewritten to use Metal and Direct X. At the same time, Adobe are sensibly updating those core functions to deliver the additional speed we require to handle the very large files of today.

Checking 'Deactivate Native Canvas' switches Photoshop to use the older functions."

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines