• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 24.0 default file location to local computer option

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm trying to find the "Default File Location" in the options that enable save without ever seeing this annoying cloud save popup on Photoshop, but after updating to 24.0 I cannot find and change it to be able to save only locally without having to click "On your computer" button each time I want to save.

It's super annoying. I've checked other tabs but cannot find it. Is it named something different this time?

PS Version: 24.0.0, Windows 10

Thanks for help 

Micha23972876hxb1_0-1670709428345.png

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

The issue is (and I don't know why) you don't see this:

SavePref.jpg

If you select "Enable Legacy "Save As" do you see the option above? 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer defaults to whichever location was last opened.

If was a file opened from an external drive, it defaults to that when I save.  If it was opened from a folder on my primary HD, it defaults to that location.  And so on...

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Can you elaborate on what you mean by having the last opened location? Do you have a popup like this or it goes straight to save as window?

Micha23972876hxb1_0-1670711122695.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's showing Cloud Documents.  I typically save and open work files from local computer HD so they can be backed up nightly by my file backup/recovery service.

Click On Your Computer button.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is (and I don't know why) you don't see this:

SavePref.jpg

If you select "Enable Legacy "Save As" do you see the option above? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, after updating Photoshop and restarting the computer the option shows up. Really don't know what happened. I'm really glad that this option is still there. 

Still. If Adobe wouldn't force its cloud on us there wouldn't be multiple topics on forums. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On 24.1 and have also been dealing with Adobe trying to push their cloud on me for the past couple of days. Also didn't see the  "Default file location" option in my preferences the past week until I came across this thread and rebooted my Mac (which is very strange as I shutdown my Mac daily so you would think the "Default file location" option would've shown up when I booted up my device; I have been looking for it for days...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I made sure that I was up to date and I rebooted my machine and I'm still not seeing the option. I have the option in Illustrator, butnot Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated, rebooted my PC and reopened Photoshop and it still isn't there. Incredibly frustrating! Takes an extra step to save. Hate it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated, rebooted my PC and reopened Photoshop and it still isn't there. Incredibly frustrating! Takes an extra step to save. Hate it!!

By @slmayhew77

Try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (macOS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. You can also reset preferences on quit if Photoshop is running by going into General Preferences>General>Reset on Quit.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks thedigitaldog. I saw that somewhere and tried it. And it finally worked!! Phew! Wasted a lot of time figuring that out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

Well yesterday I reset my preferences and  "Default file location"finally appeared.  This morning after rebooting the computer my preferences went back to the old ones and once again "Default file location" is missing. So I once again reset preferences. Rebooted computer, opened Photoshop and "Default file location" was still not there! I can't get it back even by resetting preferences. Why is this such a problem?!! Very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

Well yesterday I reset my preferences and  "Default file location"finally appeared.  This morning after rebooting the computer my preferences went back to the old ones and once again "Default file location" is missing. So I once again reset preferences. Rebooted computer, opened Photoshop and "Default file location" was still not there! I can't get it back even by resetting preferences. Why is this such a problem?!! Very frustrating!

By @slmayhew77

Do you have the legacy save as option active as suggested by @TheDigitalDog ?

If so and you still can't get the option to show, try the following script:

saveToCloud(false); // true to save to cloud

function saveToCloud(defaultCloudSave) {
	var s2t = function (s) {
		return app.stringIDToTypeID(s);
	};
	var descriptor = new ActionDescriptor();
	var descriptor2 = new ActionDescriptor();
	var reference = new ActionReference();
	reference.putProperty( s2t( "property" ), s2t( "fileSavePrefs" ));
	reference.putEnumerated( s2t( "application" ), s2t( "ordinal" ), s2t( "targetEnum" ));
	descriptor.putReference( s2t( "null" ), reference );
	descriptor2.putBoolean( s2t( "defaultCloudSave" ), defaultCloudSave );
	descriptor.putObject( s2t( "to" ), s2t( "fileSavePrefsClass" ), descriptor2 );
	executeAction( s2t( "set" ), descriptor, DialogModes.NO );
}

1. Copy the code text to the clipboard
  2. Open a new blank file in a plain-text editor (not in a word processor)
  3. Paste the code in
  4. Save as a plain text format file – .txt
  5. Rename the saved file extension from .txt to .jsx
  6. Install or browse to the .jsx file to run (see below)

If these simple instructions are too abbreviated, you may need to read on:

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks digitaldog! I think this is a little over my head. But, I may have my husband look at it as he is more computer literate than I am. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something is corrupting that file.

Check your HD for issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines