Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 25.1 and Text Size.

Participant ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When entering text, there seems to be a problem with size. There appears to be three places where text sizes now need to be entered to work, 1), the menu bar, 2) properties AND 3) in the generative fill bar. This is a repetitive process  having to enter the same thing in three places and anyone of these should work but unfortunately it doesn't. This slows the workflow down, especially since it doesn't appear to save the last use either.  Am I doing something wrong? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Linns2 first I'm hearing of this. What happens if you enter a size in any three of those locations alone? Does this size not apply?

As for setting default sizes, you would want to change that with no document open to change the default between documents, or while in a document change the size with the text tool selected but without a text layer selected. That will set the tool settings for that specific document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. I am adding a text line of numbers on a series of images. Normally I would choose Text and either change the size in the menu either before or after typing. When trying it now it doesn't stick. I noticed that properties had a different number so I tried changing that as well. The size changed but then the text reverted to the smaller of those two original choices.  I then noticed Generative Fill has an area with a  third size. I changed them all to the same number and then it worked. None of them seem to take precedence and at least two of them keep changing randomly unless all three are the same. As well, if I used 150px before in the menu, it would remain at 150 px for the next image. Not any more. They seem to decide on their own each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to change the size in any one of thos areas it should stick. Makes no sense that you have to change it in each one. Can you share a screenshot with your text layer selected your type tool as the active tool and all 3 areas visible - properties panel, options bar and contextual task bar... 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Melissa,

I blocked out the person in this headshot. After opening this document I set the size to 150px in the text bar across the top as I normally would. Both the properties and Generative Fill wants to give me 72 pixels.  Sometimes I end up with three different numbers in these three places as it seems to be 'live' and changes on its' own.

Kevin, when I open another document, 150 px remains in the text bar as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a check mark in your screenshot in the options bar - what happens when when you click it (it should all update to 150) and your layer should be named with your text. You haven't "finished".  When you enter numbers into a box, you want to hit the tab key. This will apply the numbers and move your curor to the next box. You can also change the text attributes with just the layer selected and your move tool as the active tool - using the properties panel or the context bar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Melissa,

Yes I hadn't 'returned' the Type yet on the layer I was working on as I was trying different sizes and became distracted by taking the screenshot. I tried the checkmark and at first I was going to happily report that this 'fixed' it, but then I noticed it's not always. The Properties and Generative Fill seem to work together well but the Type Size bar at the top stopped changing after a few tries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use the options bar for type anymore. Just ignore it. As long as it's the correct size... I make type, immediately switch to my move tool and then change the properties in the properties panel if I have a few settings or the context bar if it's just the font and size. I teach my students to do it the same way. Using the options bar is potentially prone to messing any type you may have created previously. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Melissa for updating with your workflow. Gotta say I'll miss using it the old way as I rarely need to use Properties for my purposes.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually really like the properties panel. There is one in Illustrator and InDesign as well. You can set up all 3 apps to have the same / simlar interface. Makes it much easier for beginner to learn all 3. It does take a minute to get used to it all for us old timers :).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Linns2 if you change the size in a document, it wont transfer those settings over to another - changing in document is unique to that doc. Always has been.

Changing the size without a document open changes the tool preset and allows the same size between documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I typically just set size in the Character panel and that works. I don't use Generative Fill at all so nothing is displayed for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. If the Generative Fill bar is visible, the information you set in the Characters panel seems to appear automatically there too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines