• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 25.7.0 shows erroneous histograms in Curves and Levels adjustment layers

Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2024 May 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue: When working with a color TIFF file (I haven't tried other file types), Photoshop shows erroneous histograms in Curves and Levels layers in color TIFF files. Specifically, the histogram built into a Curve or Levels adjustment layer shows wildly blown out highlights, despite that there are none and that this can be confirmed by looking at the image's histogram.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 25.7.0 20240415.r.504 130b225 x64

Steps to reproduce behavior:

1. Open a 16 bit RGB TIFF. (Try a file with a lot of yellow? I'm not sure here.)

2. Layer --> New Adjustment Layer --> Levels... (or Curves...)

Expected result: The histogram shown within the adjustment layer tool should match with the image's actual histogram as shown in the Histogram window.

Actual result: The adjustment layer's historgram shows wildly blown highlights where there are none. 

Important note: This only seems to be in a bug in version 25.7.0. I tested this in the latest version of Photoshop 2023 (version 24.7.3) on the exact same file, and that version does NOT show this problem.

SAMPLE SCREENSHOTS:

Actual image histogram:

dhob_0-1715031281088.png

Histogram shown in Levels adjustment layer:

dhob_1-1715031338386.png

Histogram shown in Curves adjustment layer:

dhob_3-1715031566060.png

Sample image (at 8.33%):

dhob_2-1715031395819.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there was  recent thread about this here. The Properties panel used to scale the graphs of Levels and Curves, but now shows them at 100%, cropping off any excess from the right. If you drag out the Panel so it is wider, you  can see the whole graph

The sliders and numeric readouts still seem to operate as usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I see now. And if you drag the palette out wider again, one gets blank space to the left of 0 and right of 255. If this isn't a bug, it's arguably an awful UI decision. With too narrow a palette, the histogram implies clipping where there is none. With too wide a palette, there's an implied ability to go below 0 and above 255, which isn't possible. Notably, the actual Histogram window does not exhibit this bad behavior, so there's UI inconsistency here. I would honestly feel better about Adobe is this WAS a bug. That it seems to be intentional is almost unforgivable. Come on Adobe, you can do better than this!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right.

I still don't understand why it's 255 pixels wide instead of the full 256 values. Surely nobody would make such an elementary mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines