Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Beta install issue

Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Topic Photoshop Beta

Early this week,  I downloaded Photoshop Beta and it made itself the default in Bridge and Lightroom. Had a heck of a time trying to fix it, finally reinstalled Photoshop and deleted the beta version.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

@Gary M15B9 

The last version installed is the one that becomes the default. It is recommended to install in order and uninstall in reverse order.

In Bridge, you can change the association in Edit > Preferences (Windows). I don't use LR and don't know how to change it there.

Is everything working for you now?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gary M15B9 

The last version installed is the one that becomes the default. It is recommended to install in order and uninstall in reverse order.

In Bridge, you can change the association in Edit > Preferences (Windows). I don't use LR and don't know how to change it there.

Is everything working for you now?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,

I'm a manager of a IT development department at a Fortune 500 company. If I
released a beta version that changed a production application, I would have
been fired. Beta applications must be stand alone.

Plus there was no way to change it back to the production version of PS in
LRC or bridge. When I reinstalled PS I had to reconfigure PS.

My Best,

Gary

"You gotta take it to the limit one more time" ~ The Eagles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Gary M15B9 I too work in IT for a large company. Your post doesn't hold up.

1. As someone who works in IT you should know that when you install a beta or any other newer release, that becomes the default application an OS and other apps (including LR) will use.

2. You can change which application is used to open documents in the OS which will resolve the LR external editor as well. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-default-programs-in-windows-e5d82cad-17d1-c53b-35...

3. By design, the beta does not overwrite Photoshop public releases. It installs in tandem. Check your application folder and the current Photoshop public build should still be there.

4. You shouldn't have to reinstall Photoshop 24.5 or other versions and set back up. You should have your presets and preferences saved so that you can migrate them into whatever version you install. (Read section on migrate while updating PS)

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

5. You should be testing betas on a completely separate machine which mitigates any risk. If you choose to wide release a beta app to users affecting production applications, thats on you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
[Link removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin,

Unfortunately, Adobe did not give any guidance on installing the beta, your Evangelists are promoting its use, the communication to the user community was install it and have fun.

1. As someone who works in IT you should know that when you install a beta or any other newer release, that becomes the default application an OS and other apps (including LR) will use.

I have worked for GE, Data General, Monsanto, Snap-on, Sherwin-Williams, Progressive Insurance, PNC, and Ernst and Young (EY). I have personally fired employees that released a Beta version of an application in production. Our development teams went through extreme QA and testing procedures to ensure our application went into production without any issues and did not affect other production applications downstream or in the computer itself.

1. You can change which application is used to open documents in the OS which will resolve the LR external editor as well. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-default-programs-in-windows-e5d82cad-17d1-c53b-35...

This is an unnecessary work around, that would not be needed if your team created an install package that isolated the beta version from the Adobe suit.

1. By design, the beta does not overwrite Photoshop public releases. It installs in tandem. Check your application folder and the current Photoshop public build should still be there.

That is not the issue, the reality is the beta install changed the links in the production releases of LR, LRC, Bridge and the Windows OS to point to the beta version.  Please see screenshots below.

1. You shouldn't have to reinstall Photoshop 24.5 or other versions and set back up. You should have your presets and preferences saved so that you can migrate them into whatever version you install. (Read section on migrate while updating PS)

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

This has nothing to do with install the beta and the effects on the it has on the Adobe suit.  Once this becomes available as a production version of PS these steps will not be necessary, at least it had not in the past.

1. You should be testing betas on a completely separate machine which mitigates any risk. If you choose to wide release a beta app to users affecting production applications, thats on you. 

Not everyone can afford a second machine that can run beta PS and the Adobe suit, the very least you should have done was advice you user community of changes that would be made do to the installation of the beta version.

Finally photographs edited in the beta version will not import in LRC with its layers, import screen shows, “Preview Unviable for this File”, this does not happen with the current version of PS (25.5.0). See screenshot below.

Did you not test this out and see what the effects would be on the Adobe suet? I still don’t understand why a beta install would change links in LR, LRC and Bridge and the Windows OS?

I recently reinstalled the old version of PS and the latest upgrade and all was well, I could do my production work (BR, LR, LRC, OS links) without any issues. But for some reason this morning the beta version has reestablished itself in BR, LR, and OS links as the default version of PS.

Adobe needs to improve the QA and preproduction testing. I have seen this type of issues when management rushes a release to the public.

On the bright side I do like the beta version and the Generative fill is outstanding, save a lot of time and effort.

My Best,

Gary

LR:

GaryM15B9_0-1686071700773.png

LRC:

GaryM15B9_1-1686071700997.png

BR:

GaryM15B9_2-1686071701184.png

Windows OS: (Note Beta PS Logo showing)

GaryM15B9_3-1686071701376.png

LRC (import)

GaryM15B9_4-1686071701521.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am with you on all of this. Even after Beta uninstall my orig PS would no longer save work back to lightroom. Had to uninstall and reinstall my orig PS. I do look forward to the generative fill as a standard in non beta PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane, 

I'm a manager of a IT development department at a Fortune 500 company.

By @Gary M15B9

Hi Gary,

There is one thing I'm confused about. Is your Fortune 500 company — where you are an IT manager — on an Enterprise plan with Adobe? We have been told that Beta is not available to those with Enterprise plans unless it is enabled by their IT department. Why was the public Beta enabled? 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jane-e I manage our Admin account so hopefully this explains:

Enterprise can enable beta apps using the admin console and allowing downloads within the 30-day release window. This allows users to see the beta tab and install their own applications.

We don't allow that, but I can still download as an admin on my own or a target machine for testing.

We have a dedicated Mac and Windows desk setup for beta only downloads and testing even new public releases prior to deploying to all users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is for personal use, not at the Firm I worked for, I am now retired.

My Best,

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Gary M15B9 at this point I'll just wish you well. "I'm a manager of a IT development department at a Fortune 500 company." But now you state you are retired.

So you're entire post deals with an individual account and not issues conflicting with a production machine, etc. etc. ?

In the future if downloading and installing a beta causes this much angst you may want to wait until public releases are available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Gary M15B9 at this point I'll just wish you well. "I'm a manager of an IT development department at a Fortune 500 company." But now you state you are retired.

• Yes, people do retire, when I start this, I was working but the first of June is here and just like that I’m retired.

So, you're entire post deals with an individual account and not issues conflicting with a production machine, etc. etc. ?

• I consider PS, LR, LRC and BR production applications as they are being sold and upgraded by Adobe. My work is production work that I enter in contest, post to forums and try to sell.

In the future if downloading and installing a beta causes this much angst you may want to wait until public releases are available.

• As I wrote earlier, the Adobe team members promoted the beta version and did not once mention that it would become the default in the suit.
  • There is a simple answer to this problem, don’t install the beta version as the default, I’m sure the development team at Adobe can figure out how to do that with the help of Microsoft.
  • My fix was to reinstall the previous version of PR, did the upgrade and now all the defaults are set to “Adobe Photoshop 23”, hopefully it will stay that way.

My Best,

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,

Will anyone be addressing the import issue in LRC, as I outlined above?

• "Finally photographs edited in the beta version will not import in LRC with its layers, import screen shows, “Preview Unviable for this File”, this does not happen with the current version of PS (25.5.0)."

My Best,

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you made sure that Maximise Compatibility for PSD files is checked in Preferences > File Handling. That saves a preview layer that is read by Lightroom.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dave, That change fixed my import issues from beta to LRC. Don't remember doing that in PS when I installed it.

My Best,

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gary M15B9 

The first time you save a file after installing or resetting preferences, Photoshop throws up a dialog for Maximize Compatibilty:

janee_0-1686182574603.png

If you go to Preferences, you can then choose:

• Always
  • Never
  • Ask every time

It's easy to make a choice and years (or months or days) later, forget you have done so.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jane, I followed Dave's instructions and all is well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, this didn't work for me.  Despite deleting my original photoshop and reinstalling AFTER beta version, Bridge is still defauling to beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, this didn't work for me. 

By @Regina 7

Did you try the post from 06 May, which said,

• "In Bridge, you can change the association in Edit > Preferences (Windows)"
    On a Mac, Preferences is in the application menu

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not see that.  Thanks for the tip, that worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, @Regina 7 , I'm glad Bridge is opening the correct application for you now 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several Photoshop versions installed including beta. If I want to open from Lightroom into a specific Photoshop version, I just open that Photoshop version first. Then go to it from Lightroom.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your email.

Why did the PS beta change the default PS in LR and bridge to the beta
version?

This not a good thing to, a beta version should not be put into a
production environment, it must be stand alone.

gm

"You gotta take it to the limit one more time" ~ The Eagles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gary M15B9 

Installing a beta is, and has always been, something you do at your own risk. You don't install a beta version in a production environment. Nobody's forcing you.

I have not installed it for that very reason.

In Windows, if you have several versions installed, the last installed will always take over file associations. That's just how Windows works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H davescm What you say is true for Mac but in Windows there is no option to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines