• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop canvas keeps freezing while editing on Windows 10

Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all, this is Fletcher, and I need some help solving a Photoshop problem. 

I recently started having screen freezes in Photoshop. Periodically, I will be working and my canvas window freezes. I have access to all of my layers, tools and menus, but the canvas/display area itself will not respond. I am able to close and reopen my files and that fixes it until it happens again. This is not specific to one file as it happens to whatever I am working on.

To try and solve this, I restarted my computer. I checked to make sure Photoshop was updated, which it was. I also upped my RAM usage from 8.6 GB to 9.5 GB and optimized my cache to Dafault/Photos. 

Here is my user info:

• Photoshop 22.3.0
  • Windows 10 Dell Precision 3640 (Brand New 2021)
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Wacom Cintiq 21UX Display Screen + pen

I am stumped, and I need your help! My coworker, who has the same setup as me, experiences this from time to time too.

Thank you for your help,

Fletcher

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop due to the app freezing while you're working. Please ensure you have all available Windows updates installed on the computer along with the latest drivers for the computer hardware.

You can try optimizing the preferences of Photoshop using the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

If the issue persists, you can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the advice Nikunj.

So far, I have checked to see that my computer's software is up to date and it is. I also turned the Graphics Processor Drawing Mode from advanced to normal with no change. I keep getting freezes. 

I may try some more things, but so far no fixes. 

Fletcher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that the Smoothin slider for my pen strokes quit working too. This is a recent change along with the freezes, becasue I have used the smoothing feature since getting this new computer. 

I hope that helps. Maybe it will narrow down what the issue is specifically?

Fletcher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for pilin more on, but now when I try to use the hand tool, my display/canvas starts flickering and overlaying itself. One I I release the hand tool it quits doing that until I try the hand tool again. Luckily, closing and reopening Photoshop fixes it. 

But these glitches are seriously hurting my workflow. And what's bugging me is I got a new computer (upgraded from a 7 year old windows 7 computer) to keep Photoshop from acting up.

Fletcher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines