• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2019: Brush Lag

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This week, I downloaded the new version of Photoshop (Photoshop CC 2019), and started using it in place of Photoshop CC 2018. I have a Macbook Pro (mid-2012), and use Photoshop to make illustrations. I have noticed since I started working with it that when I attempt to start drawing with my tablet (Wacom Intuos, new drivers installed and everything), sometimes the marks will not appear until long seconds later. In fact, the more strokes I draw, the longer it takes for them to appear—sometimes, they will not even appear at all. Other times, when I draw in a new spot on the canvas, a huge line appears from the last place I had drawn from (even though that stroke also did not appear).

The performance settings I have set on this new version are identical to the performance settings I had placed for Photoshop CC 2018. I do not know if any external factors have to do with it (such as the age of my computer, downloading the latest Mac OS (Mojave) or otherwise), but when I was searching around online, I noticed that other users with newer specs than me are having the same issue.

For now, I returned to using Photoshop CC 2018, because I do not deal with the intense lag while using it. While I had issues with brush lag in the past, it has never been unresolvable (downloading new drivers, adjusting my performance settings, turning off other running applications, etc).

Because I use Photoshop so much for my work, I am concerned knowing that I am unable to switch to the newer version unless I can draw without lag. It messes up my drawing process quite a bit.

I hope someone can help me out and that I can help others having the same issue, if I get some answers. Thank you for your time.

Best,
Rai

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi please check following video hope that helps....thanks

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sending this! Unfortunately, with my issue, the size of the brush does not affect how much it does or does not lag. No matter how small the brush, the lag is there. Adjusting scatter may help with brush lag caused by large brushes in other scenarios, but even then, I would not want to mess with the way the brush looks while drawing.

I have only dealt with this issue regarding brush lag at (any brush size, scatter or not) in this new version of Photoshop, and not in older versions. I'll keep the scattering adjustments in mind if I have issues only with larger brush sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues, Serious brush lag, on basic small brushes, short quick strokes, which were performing great yesterday before I updated, some strokes just don't appear at all, and most are really short! I use the brush on pressure sensitive and this seems to make the performance worse, all the strokes are stumpy!! So devastated I deleted my copy of CC 2018 Photoshop, biiiig mistake!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing another brush problem. Painting with a simple mask on a layer mask becomes impossible in Ps CC 2019.

Where as in Ps CC 2018 the brush is super responsive and has no lag or so, the same brush, same file (to ensure no interferences I made a copy of the file and opened one in Ps 2018, the other one in 2019) etc. super slow and lag in Ps CC 2019 - impossible to work with.

There is no difference if I use the mouse or the Wacom tablet.

Hardware used:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

4 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

APPLE SSD SM1024G

Wacom Intuos Pro S, PTH-451, driver version 6.3.31-4

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This is exactly what I'm experiencing too. Impossible to use CC2019 now. Very upsetting. Thanks for making the video. I have a brand new iMac and everything (including my Wacom driver) has been updated. My CC2018 was working fine, then I installed 2019 and it's horrible!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill119, I tried EVERYTHING that makes sense suggested here, including the reinstall of Wacom driver. Of course with sufficient reboots in between - even if Wacom installer says it's not necessary. Just for being sure. My computer is 100% virus free, I work all day long only on an account without Admin rights (1) and only become administrator of the computer only then, when I have to install something or so. May be this is the problem, the Adobe apps expecting to have admin rights since CC 2019 (didn't try it).

CU,

Roland

(1) this I suggest for Windows users too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I get the same issue which is not the brush size problem because it works fine the same brush in Photoshop CC 2018 but when I switch to the new version Photoshop CC 2019 I get that lag and the strokes not appear until a long seconds later, even some of them looks get cut for seconds and appears normal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Furthermore.. the brush doesn't color everywhere I do if I go quickly. Meaning the brush isn't laying down ink everywhere I'm intending to. PSCC18 didn't have this issue. It's very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded Mac OS 10.14.1 this morning and that seems to have solved the issue. I'm not seeing the brush lag anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto.

I am on a 2018 MacBook Pro and am having serious lag when using the clone tool. I have students on 2017 MacBook Pros experiencing the same issues. Will have to look into the  MacOS software update as RBurgett57 mentions above and will update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, if you feel 'brush stroke' too oftn,  please check Wacom tablet option.

As U know that option helps your brush touch constant, not intermitten.

So, photohop recognize you make a line.

Make it 'OFF' and that option won't bug you again.

Cap 2018-11-07 09-16-39-223.png

SEcond, if your work has so many 'Groups' please ungroup them. I don't know why but, at CC2019, I found out

it causes brushes lag( including all performance) very much. 

I used many groups at PS5 , nothing happened. 

Work harder Adobe , work harder !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dear friends if you still facing issue also check your computer specifications due to bigger projects when work it sometime that would be reason also....thanks

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but this can NEVER be the correct answer.

If I load the same PSD file to Ps CC 2018, there is absolutely NO lag of the brush, in Ps CC 2019 impossible to work with, utilizing the same brush, same brush setting, same everything in preferences.

The lag delay is immense and each time if I lift the pin of the Wacom tablet, I have to wait until I can continue working, I face this spinning Adobe wheel.

Please solve that bug instead of claiming customer to be idiots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again: it is ridiculous, someone marked you reply as correct. It is de facto not. If I compare same file/project 2018 vs 2019, there is absolutely no lag in 2018 but an immense one on 2019.

It is an insult of the Adobe customers to simply tell "buy new hardware" - super bad behaviour what you as ACP show up here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also. There is no way I am out of spec.

I'm running:
i7 6700K @ 4GHz
16Gb ram
GeForce 980Ti
Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD as the system drive

All that as a desktop workstation with more than adequate cooling.

And still the lag is happening on a blank file 3000x3000px with 2 layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a solution to the problem.

Spec is i7, 16GB DDR4, SSD, Radeon, Pro 560x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this off since ever, but this is not the problem.

If anything is fine using Ps CC 2018 but everything becomes unusable slow in Ps CC 2019, it is a Adobe problem, not Wacom tablet settings.

This is a super trivial logical conclusion.

Adobe should stop refusing problems they are causing and better solve them, instead of leaving hold the baby someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the newest update to Photoshop 2019 (which I downloaded

today, November 18, 2018) does not seem to have solved my brush lag issue.

On top of that, the program itself takes incredibly long to load, and often

stalls.

I am still only able to use Photoshop 2018 without any of these issues, and

will continue to use it until this is resolved. The answer that was marked

as "Correct" under my initial post was not helpful for me personally, and

did not inform me enough to solve this...

On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 8:41 AM Roland_Rick <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest version it is a little bit better.

But there must be an issue Ps 2019 vs pressure sensitivity of the Wacom tablet, I use the Intuos Pro S.

Ich checked it between my iMac 5K and MBP13, using the same file, same brush settings. The Wacom driver is installed on both computers.

Using the touch pad, the tablet disconnected, there is no issue on the MBP13.

Using the magic mouse 2 or magic trackpad 2, the Tablet activated but not used, same file etc. - long story short: identical conditions except Wacom activated and connected to the driver - and by a brush all tablet pressure sensitivities deactivated - means using magic mouse or magic trackpad instead of tablet, even if connected, there it is: the lag on the iMac 5K, having a far better graphics card.

But of course: absolutely no lag problems using Ps 2018, also not working with the tablet and Wacom pencil and the pressure sensitivity of Ps brush activated.

That happens if companies (in this case Adobe and Wacom) do not communicate changes on major updates (CC 2019 is definitely no minor update).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you maybe unmark the false correct answer?
Since you asked the original question, it should be possible for you..

Otherwise, it seems that everything is solved, when it is actually not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried multiple times to unmark the answer as correct (and figured

the same thing, that as the original poster that I'd have that ability) but

I can't seem to find how to do so.

I'm unsure if I am unable to unmark it because I personally didn't mark it

as correct.

I have never used the forums on here, so might anyone else with experience

know how to unmark it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rai!

Only a moderator can mark or unmark a post. Before I suggest that we might do better to start a new post and start fresh, let's walk through a couple of questions. Forgive me if you have answered this already (but there are so many posts above to go through to find the answer) what OS are you running?

There are previous threads that I've seen that people have had the same problem and when they've updated to the latest OS of Mojave that the problem was solved.

I am assuming that you have also downloaded and updated the latest driver for your wacom tablet to go with PS 2019. correct?

Let's see if we can walk through this to find the answer!

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings Michelle,

To get the prelims done:

OS X 10.13.5

iMac 4.2Ghz i7

32G Ram

8G Video

Wacom Driver: 6.3.31-6

Even using the mouse causes the brush/lasso to lag.

Using CC2018, there is NO ISSUE. Using CC2019, Issue. The problem lies with CC2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

See if the fix with uninstalling/installing the wacom driver that I noted just above might work for you too? (See the post above)

And if it isn't then I would recommend moving back to 2018 until the issue is resolved.

Let me know if it works?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines