Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 3D - how to wrap a smart object around a bottle

Engaged ,
Oct 09, 2013 Oct 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

This seems to be a common question but none of the answers I've found make sense (I suspect they're for older versions of Photoshop).

I have a photograph of a jar and a smart object which is my label.

If I go: >3D >New mesh from layer >Mesh preset >Cylinder - then the label is wrapped around the cylinder and is actually perfect - job done.

Questions:

- How to I make the Cylinder transperant so I only see the label

- How do I get out of the 3D window so I can place my wrapped label on the photograph of the jar?

Sorry for the simple questions, I'm surprised I can't work this out (I have previous experience with Cinema 4d and  Modo) or find instructions/YouTube videos that make sense.

Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 10, 2013 Oct 10, 2013

Hi,

Outline for this exercise is to generate a 3D cylinder, create artwork you want to wrap around the cylinder, duplicate and modify that artwork to be used in an opacity map, and then arrange the 3D element on an image to composite together.

So the basic steps I used to do this:

1) New 1024px x 512px, RGB doc w/White background.

2) 3D> New Mesh from Layer> Depth Map to> Cylinder.

3) Change the workspace to '3D'

4) In the 3D panel, select the material 'Background'.

5) In the Properties panel, select t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shawn

There are some very good introductory videos to Photoshop 3D here :

https://design.tutsplus.com/series/using-photoshops-3d-capabilities--psd-18886

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be a dumb question as I am new to photoshop, but how do I select the layer pixel and change them to white?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this — but on a 2020 version of Photoshop CC I simply dont see this step...

"6) In the Properties panel, select the Diffuse texture pop-up and choose 'Edit Texture...'"

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very old thread. The materials system has changed.

Use "Base Color" instead of Diffuse

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work anymore in the 22.4.3 I downloaded yesterday Aug. 5, 2021. I opened an existing bottle photo that I used a 3D wrap on to simulate the label I'm designing on the bottle. When I open the CYLINDER MATERIAL WRAP layer it does NOT SHOW ANYTHING BUT A BLACK EMPTY SPACE. This is why I hate updating anything Adobe. BTW, I have been using Ai/Ps/In since they came out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To use 3D in v 22.x you will need to go to Preferences > Technology Preivews and check Deactivate native canvas. Then close and restart Photoshop.

This reverts the compositing to Open GL which is required for 3D preview

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes Photoshop 3D is nor ready for Photoshop 2021.  3D materials are not rendered correctly with UV so its not possible to use without deactivating  Photoshop 2021 native canvas support, Photoshop old support is required.

All 3D models do not seem the be created the same way. To populate a  Coffee Mug  cylindrical surface with an image I had to distort the images aspect ratio for the way the model applied the surface  stretched the image's vertical dimension.  I still had to use Photoshop 2020 to get it to render lighting correctly.  Photoshop 2021 has many known issued...londonJob.gif

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines