• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC causing slow internet

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried googling this and all the results seem to find is people having trouble downloading the program.  That is not my issue.

My issue is my internet slowing down considerably while Photoshop is in use.  I often like to have livestreams, youtube or netflix going while I work in Photoshop on my other monitor.  I have noticed lately this websites lag and skip whenever Photoshop is in use.  Photoshop can be open in the background with no problem, but as soon as I start working in the program, the internet slows down a ridiculous amount.  I've done random speedtests at times and we sometimes drop from 40mbs download to 10mbps. 

Why on earth would the program be causing this?  I have turned off filesync and fontsync as I saw somewhere that could be the issue.  It's made no difference.  As far as I'm aware, this program should not be connected to the internet at all unless it needs to update.  So what is going on?

almost enough to make me want to find a different program to use.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is a resource hungry application.  However one resource it does not require much if anything at all from is your internet connection.  Whet does you software monitor show when you have your performance problem.  Where is the problem.

Supply pertinent information for quicker answers

• The more information you supply about your situation, the better equipped other community members will be to answer. Consider including the following in your question:
  • Adobe product and version number
  • Operating system and version number
  • The full text of any error message(s)
  • What you were doing when the problem occurred
  • Screenshots of the problem
  • Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; amount of RAM; etc.
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean by software monitor?

The information requested:

Photoshop CC 2017.0.1

Windows 10 64 bit

No error messages

Using my Wacom Intuos Pro in Photoshop on one monitor while a Chrome browser was open on another monitor playing a livestream.

Slow internet is not really something I can screenshot.

I don't know why hardware would affect internet unless it was modem related, but ok.  Intel Core i7 6700K 4GHz Quad-Core, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce 8GB, 32GB RAM.  This is a fairly new system, only a few months old. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK now what does you system configuration look like. How much free space on your system disk, hard disk or SSD.  What data rate stream, What are you doing in Photoshop number of open document open sized resolution layers. What does the Task Manager show performance wize, C: disk show free during  the problem time. What the rate you network is showing, disk utilization rate, cpu used. memory used etc.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have over 500GB free on C: which is an SSD.

If by data rate stream you mean internet speed, it's usually 40-50mbps download, 10-15mbps upload.  We have unlimited broadband.

At this particular point in time I had one document open.  It wasn't a huge one as I was doing a rough sketch.  I believe it was maybe 1000x1000 pixels?  72dpi.  Maybe about 4 layers at most.

I've never looked at task manager when it is happening so can't answer that.  As I've said, if I have photoshop open in the background the internet is absolutely fine.  As soon as photoshop becomes the active window and I begin to draw/click/edit in there, boom internet slows.

This is an extreme amount of questions for what I thought would be a simple answer as to whether the program should be accessing internet or not when in use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just started editing a photo in photoshop and it's doing it already.  I took a screencap of task manager as I have no idea what I am looking at.

taskmanager.png

Edit: Switching to Clip Studio Paint and doing the exact same thing I was doing before has caused no issues with internet. I have noticed though that a ton of the background processes that were open when using Photoshop are now gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I don't see any apps taking anything like a large load on your system - however, that CEP HTML engine (which, I believe is part of what Photoshop and other programs use to connect to the Creative Cloud) seems to cause many people MANY problems, and has for years. I noticed yours is running at 32bit on your 64 bit operating system. Are you running the Creative Cloud app at 32bit? Or are you running Photoshop at 32bit? Those would significantly slow down your internet, if that's the case.

Also, there's an Adobe article that refers to high CPU usage with that engine - and how to maybe resolve some issues (this is about your computer, instead of the internet connection, itself)

High CPU usage due to CEPHtmlEngine

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I was aware, I was running the 64 bit version.  I don't think I ever got an option of which type to download and assumed it had installed the correct one.  How would I go about checking this?

Edit: Ok, Photoshop is running 64 bit.  CC is running 32 bit.  I do not remember there being a choice when downloading CC, so how do I change it to 64 bit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it's a full download of the Creative Cloud Desktop App that you need (I'm on a Mac, so I can't be sure on Windows). You can access the download link for the desktop app at Download Adobe Creative Cloud apps | Free Adobe Creative Cloud trial

Since it detects I'm on a Mac, I can't see any further into the instructions for your system, but that's certainly where I'd begin. I do know that on my computer, it's definitely running at 64bit.

Maybe there's a Windows user on here who can get you through the rest of that installation, if it's a problem.
I believe you would want to also UNinstall the Creative Cloud desktop app you already have running before you install the new one.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled all apps, then uninstalled Creative Cloud.  Downloaded it again, and there is absolutely no option to choose 32 or 64 bits.  I figured it would auto detect but no, it has installed the 32 bit version.  I reinstalled Photoshop and the issue continues.  I noticed that when I start working in Photoshop (whether it is making a new document, applying a filter, drawing with the brush tool) it's CPU usage jumps to almost 20%.  When I click out of the window it drops back to around 1-2%.  Not sure if this is normal? That's the only thing I can think of at this point, I've exhausted so many other options. 

It really sucks too because I'd love to purchase Illustrator as well to learn to use it, but if it's going to do the same thing I would rather save my money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, still no answer to what could be causing this?  Why on earth Photoshop would be connecting to the internet and hogging so much of it when it doesn't need to be?  Interesting.

I have reverted back to the previous version of Photoshop (2015.5) and the issue seems to have stopped.  So there has to be something in the new version that causes this problem.  Just a shame nobody seems to know what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

looking at your thread here there are a few disparities. First you can't have 32 bit Photoshop as 32 bit became unavailable after CC was introduced. If you installed CS6, which is an option as it's part of your CC subscription, you would find two copies of Photoshop gets installed both 32 and 64 bit. However you are using PS2017 so it must be 64 bit. Not all components need to be 64 bit though and the CEPHTML processes is always 32bit. Looking at your Task Manager CEPHTML is using memory but not CPU or Network resources. I doubt very much if it is causing your problem. Your Task Manager in fact shows your network is activity is zero, so it's hard to see how Photoshop is slowing down your internet speed. In Task Manager pan further down the list until you come to Node.js:Server-side JavaScript and capture the screen. If Creative Cloud is using the network it will show up in the Network column on the far right column as shown below.

node1.png

The basic Task Manager is limited as it says nothing about what the network is doing. Instead let's use the Resource Monitor.

In Task Manager click the performance tab, then click Open Resource Manager at the bottom. Don't worry if you don't have as many Ethernet options as I do-I have more than one network card in the machine here.

tm1.png

Below is what you should see

tm2.png

You now can see the entire network and the apps that are using it , how much data is being sent , received and the total network activity per application. Below is the same thing with Creative Cloud running

tm3.png

You can see at the top Adobe Desktop Service is receiving data as is Creative Cloud.exe and at the bottom Photoshop.exe itself. In this case the data transfer is tiny as my system is fully updated, but if you were to use a library or be downloading an update the values would be much higher. The Node.js:Server-side JavaScript process would also be there and very active. I think we need to see what your Resource Monitor is doing with regards to these processes to make sure your problem is actually Adobe related. It would also be useful if you did a speed test on your broadband. I'm in England and would recommend the following as it doesn't require any addons

Speed Test | UK Broadband Speed Checker with uSwitch.com

I don't know where you are in the world but the above is very accurate. If you want to try it you'll need a UK postcode-same as a zip code in America(but don't use yours), just put in NR11 8NT and you can use anything for the two other boxes. Alternatively you can Google for a speed tester closer to you. If you would, test the speed, both download and upload when Photoshop is not running and then with PS running and maybe we then can start to narrow the problem down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know what is slowing down their machine the task manager shows their system is not being taxed. There must be some windows interlocking problem. The task manger display they captured was when Photoshop was first starting what the might have captured is the Windows focus battle the is raging when Photoshop starts up. Adobe uses many threads to initialize different parts of Photoshop. Plug-ins, Scripts, patterns etc some seem to be competing for windows focus though none seem to actually need it. Photoshop keep stealing Windows focus from other application you try to use when you start Photoshop. Some things may be interlocked other start up threads.

However on Windows systems there are 32bit and 64bit versions of  Photoshop available for all Photoshop versions. On Mac CS5 was the last version of Photoshop that has  a 32bit option.

It is possible to install both the 32bit and 64bit version of Photoshop on windows systems. However the last 32 bit version I installed was  Photoshop CC.  I have downloaded the 32bit installers for CC 2014. CC 2015, CC 2015.5 and CC 2017 but have not installed them.  I have installed the 64bit versions though.  Currently CC 2014 seems the be the version of Photoshop with the least number of problems for me.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a problem once with Photoshop slowing my internet. It happened when I downloaded a template from Adobe. The template turned out to be 500MB. At the time I had syncing switched on, but only had standard broadband with an upload speed of around 1Mb/sec. The problem went away when I turned syncing off. Since then fiber has become available in my area and I now get 8Mb/sec upload and so turned syncing back on. It took 10 minutes to fully sync even at 8Mb/sec but after that Photoshop stopped affecting my internet speed. I'm now thinking that if I had left my 1Mb/sec connection running for 80 minutes the problem would probably have cleared itself-they are probably right when they say patience is a virtue. The OP really needs to confirm their true broadband speed and show some evidence that a Photoshop or Creative Cloud process is wasting the bandwidth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Terri, here is the info you asked for:

Node.js seems to do absolutely nothing when Photoshop is in use.

Node.png

Here is resource manager:

resourcemonitor.png

I'm located in Australia, so this is the speedtest site I have always used.  First one is with Photoshop closed. Second is with Photoshop open in the background.  However, as I have stated previously, Photoshop can be open and the internet will be fine.  But the minute I click in the window and do anything, the lagging internet begins.  I attempted to do a speedtest while drawing with the brush tool but there was no real difference in speeds.

speedtestclosed.png 

speedtestbackground.png

And just to clarify, there are no templates/etc being downloaded.  File sync and font sync are off.  Libraries panel is closed.  While my knowledge of this stuff may not be great, I'm pretty sure there is no reason at all for this program to be accessing the internet (unless it was to update, but that is a manual process I would be aware of).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

thanks for doing those tests. From the results I can see nothing wrong with the network. Your broadband is slightly quicker with Photoshop open , but that's just some variation in the tester. Your download is 90 and upload 35 Mb/sec and when you took the capture the network was at 595Kbsec which is nothing.  The hard disk activity is high though at 18MB/sec so something is certainly going on in the background which isn't due to network/internet activity? Did you have anything running when you did the test?

I appreciate your problem occurs when you are actually using Photoshop rather than when PS is idle which makes taking measurements difficult as you need to be running some kind of network analysis tool that creates a log while your doing something in Photoshop, but it doesn't look as if Photoshop is using the network when idle, so why should it start suddenly for no reason?.

Am I correct in assuming that when you say the internet slows down you are judging on the basis of dropped frames in video on your browser as you do something in Photoshop? Try having Task Manager open on the CPU tab when running a video stream and actually using Photoshop with your Wacom tablet. As you draw glance at the CPU activity. Is it high? Photoshop can be very CPU demanding with certain brushes and a tablet working and on top of that you have Lazy Nezumi smoothing the brush strokes. If the CPU activity is high then the browser will have difficulty processing the video stream and drop frames, which will look like the internet speed has fallen. There are things you can try like reducing the amount of memory available to Photoshop and altering the CPU priority of Chrome from normal to realtime, but the truth is Photoshop is an app that works best in isolation due to it's demanding nature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed that CPU usage for Photoshop jumps up to around 20% when I do anything in it.

It is possible I mistook dropped frames, etc for issues with the internet speed. For a long time we had bad internet and it used to do that a lot so I just naturally thought that was it.

How does one change the amount of memory available to Photoshop and is it likely to affect anything that the program uses?

its a shame that it's best used on its own. Especially as someone who wants to learn new things via video tutorials and livestreams

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok woould disagree that photoshop does nt use bandwith. Managing 2 hotels each of them ahve a 10 Mb fiber connection, If marekting opens and uses photoshop . Entire properties conenctions ets throrrled and employes cant connect to properties terminal server anymore . gettign pings over 200 ms. as soon as we close photoshop or remove pc van network, get back to 30 ms and everything is fiine.  Would be nice to know how to prevent this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photoshop in use.pngphotoshop closed.png

first one with photshop in use on network second one when we close photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I understand that this problem has morphed since the OP's in 2017 but I have had a similar issue with the 2021 version of Photoshop. The following shows my internet activity, the blue latency bars showing when I had Phototshop running.

murrayprints_0-1636455907600.png

As it happens, Creative Cloud updated to 2022 versions overnight and my network no longer seems to be affected. Try an update for your marketing dept. ASAP and I hope it solves this maddening situation for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Friends, we have 2024 and I still struggle with the same problem. 
Let's make it quick: strong machine, i9, 64GB, SSD, big disc space etc. Regular Internet bandwidth: 600 Mb/s DL, 60 MB/s UL.
When I open Photoshop - bandwidth is immediately cut to 8 Mb/s DL, 3-5 Mb/s UL. 
And in that time - Photoshop is not taking "bandwidth", consuming it for any DL or UL. There's just silence on the network. 
When you close Photoshop - Network is back again healthy and working. 

So my friends, I discovered that by coincidence. I think - that many people blame "network" issues, some irregular behavior, while ... it is PH and/or Illustrator causing this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines