Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC corrupting files (layers) while saving

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm having the issue that photoshop Creative Cloud is coincidentally corrupting my files while I am trying to save them. In detail this means that photoshop is deleting some or just one of the layers independent of the time I have worked on it. In the beginning it "only" happens after a couple of hours worked on it. Then I have tried to save to files more often and restart photoshop mutliple times during the days to avoid "long working duration" with the program. But then the application also deleting the layers after 20 minutes of work. Basicly the layers are just gone and I have to reconstruct them.

My references are:

iMac 27" with 16GB of memory and internal HDD on which I am working with the psd files

Operation system: Most up to date Mac OS 10.9.2 Mavericks

Adobe Creative Cloud: All updates done.

What I have done so far:

Created a new Mac user within I am working at the moment

updated every software and opertion system

not using any 3rd party plugin / or hardware except the apple mouse and keyboard

checked the RAM with multiple tools which have shown me no errors at all

At the moment I am running a harddrive scan which is looking for errors in the filesystem with disk utility

And of course: I have search the forums and google before I am opening this threat where I have already found a couple of other threats and people who are having this issue, but most of them a couple of months ago. A few of them thought this issue is related to bad RAM. Some thought it would be related to the graphic card. Others thought there might be driver or updates missing. As written above: I can already exclude the useraccount, RAM, updates and driver as well (cause it's a mac).

Additionally I want to mention that I am working within a team of creatives and my colleges are all using and doing pretty much the same like me. Using similar machines, same programs, same operation systems. And none of them have this problem. So I am hoping now that any of the adobe engineers could help me with this problem as I am not knowing anymore what I should do to get rid of this problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2015 Jun 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem and only with 2 students using Mac's with CC. PC users with CC have had no issues. Never had any issues with CS6 on Mac's or PC's.  Students are creating design work with fonts and images and neither had uploaded any photo files. Each time the file was fine when they closed it and appeared corrupted when opened. Both had rectangular shapes cut from them. The work couldn't be salvaged and they had to re-make the images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 04, 2015 Jun 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using MacOS 10.10?  MacOS 10.10 has several well known video driver bugs that can cause the appearance of document corruption, plus a few bugs that can actually corrupt memory.

Apple is aware of these issues and still working to solve them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2015 Jun 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using 10.8.5 and have had no issues until last night… same thing… This issue has been going on for quite a while… I'm not sure working to solve the issue is high enough on the list… !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2015 Jun 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they are. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2015 Jun 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list.  My PNGs also are appearing to get corrupt when saving.  Photoshop CC  (2014.2.2).   Windows 7.0 Ultimate SP1.

It doesn't happen with all PNG files, and I have found no pattern.  But the files will always end up looking like they are cut off on the bottom.  Sometimes there is "junk" at the bottom of the image instead.  The PNG looks fine through windows explorer, and it appears fine if I open it up in Photoshop.

Z Raindrop capture 1.JPG

However, when I use it in something - whether a video editor such as ProShow, or even Adobe software such as InDesign, the image will appear cut off.  The sample below shows this, plus the "junk" at the bottom of the image as well.

z raindrop capture 2.JPG

I created another one from scratch, this time making the file size about 3 times as tall as was needed.  This time the corruption shows up at the bottom, but the image isn't cut off.  I suspect because the corruption is happening at the tail end of the file being saved?

z.JPG

This started happening in the last 3 weeks or so.  I haven't installed any updates, video drivers, etc.  (unless Windows updated something without my knowledge).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2015 Jun 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone update on any new information on this? I'm running Yosemite and CS6 (installed version, not Cloud). I've been working on a large TIFF file for the past several days and the file suddenly became corrupted. The background layer became black (was white) and the image had large holes taken out of it. In my panic I tried saving a new version of the file but wrote over the original (huge profoundly unfortunate error on my part). I just got a new computer and haven't hooked Time Machine up yet. I tried using recovery software to find a previous version of the file but that failed. I'm obviously very upset that I've lost the work but I'm more concerned about this happening again. Is it CS6 that has caused this or Yosemite? it sounds like it's CS6 which has caused this seeing that others have referenced the same problem with other versions of Mac OS. This is hugely distressing. I've been using Adobe products for many years and have gotten used to the occasional bug and slow response to supply a fix but this is a much bigger issue. As one person commented previously, I need to be able to trust the software and know that this is being fixed so that it doesn't happen again. I'm aware that my haste caused me to loose my file but I need to be able to depend on Photoshop to not corrupt the files in the first place.

Does anyone have any insight into this, particularly anyone at Adobe? Is this being fixed? It's clearly affecting a growing number of people and is a serious issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding my voice to this. File randomly corrupted mid work. Not saving, no error. Fortunately I only lost 20 minutes work because of multiple file version savings but the entire psb was irrecoverably corrupted. Im on a new mac pro, Yosemite, CC 2015. This is a hugely worrying bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add, the file matches to other descriptions, it appears as though someone has gone through every layer with the rectangular marquee tool and deleted sections at random. Even the saved selections in the channels are corrupt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2015 Aug 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem. I too have a new mac book, Yosemite with CC 2015. Absolutely ruined 3 days of work. Furious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem happened to me today. Whole file cut through with rectangles. Everything was destroyed (the problem showed after saving the file, not while working on it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem but i resolved it by replacing the entire HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 folder with a non-corrupt one from a colleague. (or a new installed backup of this folder)

Hope This Helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2015 Oct 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, Large files go corrupt and after reopening the file (no save) it is still corrupt.

Please Adobe team do something about this. We pay a lot of money for your products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2015 Oct 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Mac visual image corruption is often a video issue, not file corruption. Have you tried turning off the GPU under preferences?

Terri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2015 Oct 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to this long, yet somehow reassuring that it's not just me, thread - I'm also having this problem.

It's hit or miss, sometimes happening on very large files, occasionally on smaller jobs. Usually always when adding a filter to the layer or saving the file out.  Huge blocks of layer data will go missing, or turn a color, or get very thin lines or all of the above. It's impossible to rescue the work by deleting that layer, or copying a seemingly unaffected layer, or often even reopening a previously saved version of the file.

I am on a Macbook running OS 10.11 after replacing my hard drive. Problem started with old drive and running Mountain Lion.

I'm at a loss and as someone says, I need to trust the software. I have a huge project about to start, and I'm almost afraid to invest the work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here...

Macbook Air - 10.11 (15A284)

Photoshop CC 2015...

After decades of solid PS performance this feels f-l-a-k-e-y as...

scary stuff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem

my layers have holes.

file .psb

New Mac Pro  3.5 GHz 6 core intel Xeon E5

64 Go 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D700 6144Mo

OSX 10.9.5

Photoshop CC2015

we have four New Mac pro (all the same) and two HPz820

with Photoshop CC 2014 or 2015 install.

This bug did happen twice on only one NewMacPro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue. IT have been trying to fix this for months now. they have even replaced my computer before christmas. Now I've logged in this morning, and the same thing happened, its the first time using this computer.... brand new machine every update available i have it, theyve even installed a new operation system for mac....

There is no telling when it will happen, its completely RANDOM then the file goes pink yellow and broken (looks like a smashed computer screen) and I'm unable to use it....

All i know is 1/4 the way through a project the file will corrupt. sometimes just a single layer, other times more, most of the time i can revise and resolve but long and short is I'm losing hours and hours worth of work and i can't go on like this. ADOBE what is the issue with the corruption of files on this version of photoshop and how do we fix it.......?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT updated to CC 2015 version, the problem doesn't happen not his version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here! I'm new to PS and using a fairly new Mac. It happened while trying to save files as PDF. 5 of my 12 files became all distorted, pixelated, mashed up looking. HOURS lost. I'm so frustrated. What the heck???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Behind the corruption of Adobe Photoshop files there can be any causes such as improper app termination, sudden system shutdown, application crash, virus infection, etc. Once psd file get corrupted or damaged, then it will deny to open or some of it information is not appearing correctly. In your case the layer of psd file is getting deleted at the time of saving. There may be a chance of Adobe application damage by which you are facing this issue. To continue this post or know the solution of your problem check it out: http://www.uscadets.org/use-photoshop-repair-tool-to-repair-damaged-psd-files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh Help.  While saving a CC2015 Photoshop file in layers/with animation that I spent HOURs on, 75% of the data disappeared completely!  Nothing but large empty blocks. 

I've never lost so much work...(well, in recent years that is to say....)

Is there anything that can be done, and how can I know this won't keep happening?   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Adobe answer anything in these forums, or is it necessary to tweet them and publicly call them out to get answers? I've been having the same problem for about a year and now it's happening on every second file I work on. Massive amounts of lost information and work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is still occurring in my up to date CC, was there ever a fix for this? Can't find anything on it on the web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just experienced the same issue, as well (for the first time) in the latest update (CC 2017.0.0). Performed a Save As... command, and upon reopening .PSD file at a later time, the file was flattened to a single layer, all black save a small strip along the top of apparently corrupted data. The file, however, remains its original size (100+ mb).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines