• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC -> performance down, memory usage up.

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently switched to Photoshop CC.

I noticed performance was slow, memory usage was huge. At first I thought it might be because I was processing somewhat larger panoramas than previous ( eg merging 25 images at 21 MP each ).

Then my SSD drive crashed when the sysem ran out of memory, and I can't recover it.

I reinstalled Mac OSX 10.7.5 on the original HD and re-installed PS. Now my network bandwidth has jumped from under 1 GB uploaded per day, to 20GB, 30GB, 44 GB uploaded.

I don't know how much of this can be traced to PS CC, other than it's slow performance and high memory usage, but it' a suspicious coincidence.

Tom Legrady

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jan 04, 2014 Jan 04, 2014

That would be because the memory usage is about the same as previous versions, and we don't know of any major memory leaks in Photoshop CC (we do a lot of testing to find and eliminate memory leaks in Photoshop).

And because we've seen third party drivers and third party plugins with memory leaks.

If Photoshop consumes that much RAM without opening any documents - then you have about 6 Gigs of presets being loaded at launch (which is presets that you added, because by default Photoshop doesn't loa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 203 Replies 203
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2014 Jan 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the last response better. I prefer to have alternative besides this default answer of CHECK YOUR SYSTEM, IT'S YOUR COMPUTER, IT CAN'T BE US, etc etc. If it's happening to this many ppl then it has to be a problem beyond just the user and their specific system. or an exact same problem with the same system with both options still leading back to the fact that it happens mainly (and only for me) with PS CC. Once I changed my scratch disc to a larger and external harddrive, everything was great. It still ate up 24GB in no time but my 1TB could hand that.

Regardless of what the problem is for the individual user, we now should be able to admit that

1. there is a problem

2. it mainly happens with PS CC

No one's pointing a finger even though some might feel that way but not admitting there is a problem only hurts the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tizzo, there's a reality to be confronted here... 

• The only ones responsible for system integration are we the users
  • Adobe is responsible for making their software run best.

There's a subtle but significant difference.

Photoshop is a big resource user.  That's not a bug, that's just what it takes to run it.  And if you want to run other things while using Photoshop it's a good idea to have a BIG system - or close Photoshop - because Adobe doesn't go out of their way to release resources for the rest of your software to use.

When a modern system DOES have sufficient resources and no problems, Photoshop CC runs faster than ever.  This is true on a PC workstation at least, I have no direct Mac experience.  In fact, the newer versions are more optimized and generally run faster than any version ever has.  I get better Photoshop benchmark scores with various Photoshop benchmarks with the very latest versions.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't make sense because of the fact that you market adobe software in a suite.  All program integrate with each other.  To say that you need to close Photoshop when using other programs because of it being such a monster disreguards this fact. I jump from Indesign to Photoshop and Illustrator as a daily workflow.  If I have to close Photoshop every time I am done with a file makes my workflow not work. 

I have 16 GB of memory after I upgraded starting at 4 then 8. That is with a quad core processor and top of the line graphics card.  If that isn't enoough, I don't know what you consider BIG.

It doesn't matter if I have 100GB. Photoshop is going to take it. 

As a stand alone program it doesn't have any problems but it is part of a suite and that is my problem. I don't need to be a Photoshop expert to see this is a problem to us users.

I think this is the reality that needs to be confronted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right.  It seems to be only MAC users that have this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2014 Jan 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on PC and don't have suite issues, simply the fact that CC demands so much memory it crashes on asking it to do the simplest of tasks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It makes perfect sense, it's just that your definition of "big" and mine differ.

A 16 GB quad core system isn't big in modern professional terms.  I had 16 GB 5 years ago.

I have 48 GB now and a 12 core system.  I also maintain 800 GB of free SSD space.  At this level Photoshop is not a dominant force in my system - I can do other things.  Big things.  I can see Photoshop use up to about a quarter of my free space during a big pano stitch.  But that leaves plenty left.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well tell that to Apple.  That is the max on Macbook pros. So, you are saying 48 GB is a normal amount?  I am not doing 3D model and animation rendering. I am doing web and publication design. Once again, i am not a programmer or a computer guru nor do I EVER  intend to be.  Having 48GB may suite the needs for a person like yourself but in normal circumstances it is overkill.  I don't collect computer parts for a hobbie and I am not on a PC where it is  possible to put 48GB in your system.  My Macbook is a year old and it has been upgraded so, it should be able to handle a photo editing program. 

I am done with this thread because it is nothing but no-it-alls with absolutly no realistic solutions.  I dont' have the time to post 22,000 times.  I came on here for solutions and it is obvious that there aren't going to be any.  Just people bragging about there computers.

I know you will leave the last word so, go ahead but I am not going to respond.  Unlike some of you i have the real world to deal with. Not a virtual one that doesn't help.

For those of you looking through this thread for valuble information, just leave now.  You are going to waste your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run CC on a MacBook Pro (2010) with 8GB of memory, and on a 2010 Mac Pro with 24GB of memory. Both running OSX 10.9 (Mavericks).

I recall an issue in Mountain Lion whereby Photoshop CC didn't release memory back into the 'Free' category which resulted in it hogging memory and slowly degrading performance. However, that seems to have fixed itself with the upgrade to Mvericks.

Not sure if that helps, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there has not been an issue of Photoshop not releasing memory.

Photoshop normally allocates memory up to the limit you set in preferences, and reuses that memory until you exit Photoshop. That is not an issue, but is a large performance boost.  Constantly releasing and reallocating memory is MUCH slower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Professional image processing takes high-end equipment.  I'm not saying 48 GB is "normal", I'm saying that's high-end.  If you want to be able to do Photoshop and other things, you need a high-end system.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone explain to us why photoshop CC is running more unstable and slower than CS6. Everything is the same eccept the program?

It's like CC kill every thing when the files goes above 1 gig, bus CS6 is fine and easely cope with it.

Here some Machine speces for good messure:

2 x 2.4 Ghz Quad intel xeon
32 BG 1066 MHz DDR34
SSD intel boot disk
ATI Radeon HD 5 seris 1024 MB
OSX lion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could the problem be that i am still running 10.7.5 ? I haven' t ungraded because of all the bad reviews I have seen for Moutain Lion.  Would this hold any bearing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly my experience was vastly improved with upgrading to 10.9 (Mavericks). I believe the issue you are facing is to do with the way in which previous OS version assign memory. They seem to keep memory on stand-by and so if Photoshop is set to use say 60% of your total memory, OS will keep that amount on standby, not allowing it to be released to other programmes.

OS 10.9 had various changes to the way it uses the memory making it more efficient which I believe includes amendments to how unused memory is assigned. I have certainly seen huge improvements in memory usage since upgrading from Mountain Lion so would recommend you do the same if you're system is compatible.

regards

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the vast majority of users, Photoshop CC runs the same speed and uses the same memory as Photoshop CS6.  If it is running slower, or using more memory - you need to check your system and Photoshop settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, your comments are interesting, but not satisfactory.  I am also experiencing, like many other users have expressed here, issues with Photoshop CC. On OS X 10.9, as well as an Windows 7.

In the case of both systems, in all the benchmarks and testing I have done, using the same configuration for both versions (CS5 and CC), I get the same strange results. Photoshop CC has a bug.

I did clean installs of both applications from Creative Cloud today, and nothing changes.

For example: 

In one simple test I did, I resized a small 60 MB file up to 1 GB (72dpi to 300dpi). In Photoshop CS6 it takes between 5 and 10 seconds. In Photoshop CC the exact same resize, on the same image, and the same preferences, took 3+ minutes!!  On Windows 7, I cannot even resize this image from 60MB up to 300MB, Photoshop CC just gives an error that there is not enough RAM. The same resize using Photoshop CS6 (on Windows 7) is virtually instantaneous (between 1-2 seconds).

I tried simple tasks on both CS6 and CC, like rotating a 1GB image 90 degrees clockwise, rotating it 15 degrees, etc. In all these cases, CC just lost all resemblance of any performance compared to CS6.

It is not acceptable to say we must look at our systems when the preference settings in both versions are set the same. There is clearly a problem. It is possible that Adobe is doing their performance testing on very high-end systems, where the results are comparable. But on entry level machines, with 4GB - 8GB of ram, you will have to admit there is a serious bug in Photoshop CC, and I hope it can be sorted out. Just as well we can still download CS6 from Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first sensible bit of advice on this forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe denial is just stunning.  I have watched Photoshop behave erratically and consume MUCH more memory than usual on many occasions.  If it always behaved this way then it would be working as Adobe intended, but that is not the case.

Most of the time when I run Photoshop it uses under 25,000 K of RAM when no files are open.  This allows me to multitask and use other programs, such as Lightroom, without having to shut down Photoshop to free up memory.  I almost always keep task manager and CleanMem Mini Monitor open, so I can both see what is consuming memory and free up that memory when a program goes out of line.

Tonight I opened Photoshop CC in anticipation of working on a few files, since launching Photoshop cold from Lightroom is hit or miss, and everything went South.  Lightroom jumped to 1,598,844 K and Photoshop jumped to 4,843,380 K.  I often have Photoshop use around 10 Gb of RAM when I am editing photos, but this is unusual from the start.  I could not get the RAM to clear, and I was getting insanely frustrated, but using that much RAM is not a deal breaker since I have plenty.

I was able to get the problem to resolve itself by opening up 5 30 Mb Raw files and a 200+Mb PSD and doing some quick edits on them.  By the time I had closed all but one of the CR2s I was using just shy of 1 Gb of RAM and Photoshop was running like clockwork.  When I saved and closed out that final file Photoshop dropped down to its' usual 24,652 K, and Lightroom had dropped back down to 65,452.

So, is this Photoshop "working as usual?"  You cannot tell me that Photoshop is supposed to grab almost 5 Gb of RAM that it does not need when I first open it, causing it to be sluggish and slow down the rest of my system, only to give it up and run smoothly after I have used it for a bit.  When Photoshop is not hogging all of my memory it runs just fine, and I can keep it open all day, even when not using it, without noticing any drain on my system.  THAT seems to be working as intended.  It is when it is working right that it uses memory when it needs it and does not use memory when it does not.

I, like hundreds or thousands of others, have arrived at this thread because Photoshop suddenly started behaving badly, hogging RAM, and IT DID NOT DO IT BEFORE!  I am not talking about CS5 or CS6, I am talking about YESTERDAY with CC.  Nothing on the system has changed, I have over 350 Gb free on my system drive, Photoshop just suddenly started behaving different.

I am not writing this, angry as hell, because the program is horrible or because the problem it is not something that I can work around most of the time when I need to, what ticks me off are all of the "Staff" members that are saying "Move along, nothing to see here, it is just your system. . . . Did you try turning it off and on again?"  or the dreaded "Photoshop has always done that, you just did not notice."  Sorry Bub, but the reason that thousands of people come to this thread are because they DID notice, and they noticed something DIFFERENT!  You can say "But insisting that Photoshop is the cause when it is easily verified as not being the cause, won't help you." is insulting for 2 reasons.  1. You are not taking peoples problems seriously, and you are talking down to them as though they are idiots for thinking that they have a problem in the first place, and 2.  It is NOT easily verified because you have no idea what is going on.  When I have a perfectly capable computer that is having no problems with any other software, and when tons of people come to you with the same problem of Photoshop behaving in a manner that it did not used to, you cannot tell me that you can verify that it cannot be Photoshop.  You simply will not entertain the idea, and just because you will not consider that it might actually be a problem with the program does not actually mean that it is not a problem with the program.

Sorry for coming across as disrespectful, but frankly I am not being 1/10th as disrespectful as the "staff" on this board, and I am actually a consumer of your product, not someone that is supposed to be providing customer service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 27, 2014 Aug 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has researched these slowdown issues, and fixed every one we can reproduce.  But many of the issues only happen on specific systems, and frequently get tracked down to something specific about that system outside of Photoshop itself (antivirus, firewall, bad drives, bad drivers, other applications messing with the OS, etc.).

If Photoshop is grabbing RAM, it is because it does need it for something that you opened. That could be a document, or it could be presets that you have loaded. By default, Photoshop does not use that much RAM. And Photoshop won't use that much RAM until you load or do something that needs that much RAM.

Yes, even if no files are open, Photoshop will hold onto the RAM it has allocated - because it is MUCH, MUCH faster for Photoshop to manage it's RAM than to deallocate it and wait for the OS to reallocate it.  (this is a pattern you will find in most applications that use a lot of RAM, including video and imaging applications and databases)  There is no need to shutdown Photoshop to free memory - the memory it has will be reused for whatever you load or do next.   Photoshop will also free memory if the OS needs additional memory (due to paging or hints).  Photoshop has used the same memory management since version 2.0.

If Photoshop's memory usage is slowing down your system somehow, then you may need more RAM for the work that you are doing.  Or you may have some other applications that are not managing their own RAM usage very well.

Now, we have seen some third party plugins that have memory leaks - and those are beyond our control.

But we test Photoshop rather heavily for memory leaks, and fix them rapidly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2014 Sep 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got rid of all plugins and then got rid of CC and installed CC 2014. Below you can see the memory Photoshop is given, and then the amount it's actually using, which is way more, just like it was doing with CC. Again, I worked with much larger files on CS5 on this exact system (and WITH third-party plugins) and never had this trouble. And on top of this are all the garbage cloud processes that run now (without adding anything appreciable to the user experience).

photoshop01.jpgphotoshop02.jpg

Adobe Photoshop Version: 2014.1.0 20140730.r.148 2014/07/30:23:59:59  x64
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:10, Stepping:5 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, HyperThreading
Physical processor count: 4
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 2672 MHz
Built-in memory: 24567 MB
Free memory: 2343 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 22181 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 70 %
3D Multitone Printing: Disabled.
Touch Gestures: Disabled.
Windows 2x UI: Disabled.
Image tile size: 1024K
Image cache levels: 4
Font Preview: Medium
TextComposer: Latin
Display: 1
Display Bounds: top=0, left=0, bottom=1200, right=1600
Display: 2
Display Bounds: top=0, left=1600, bottom=1080, right=3520
OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.
OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.
OpenGL Drawing Mode: Advanced
OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: True.
OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: True.
AIFCoreInitialized=1
AIFOGLInitialized=1
OGLContextCreated=1
NumGLGPUs=1
NumCLGPUs=1
glgpu[0].GLVersion="3.0"
glgpu[0].GLMemoryMB=1024
glgpu[0].GLName="GeForce 9400 GT/PCIe/SSE2"
glgpu[0].GLVendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
glgpu[0].GLVendorID=4318
glgpu[0].GLDriverVersion="9.18.13.3523"
glgpu[0].GLRectTextureSize=8192
glgpu[0].GLRenderer="GeForce 9400 GT/PCIe/SSE2"
glgpu[0].GLRendererID=1601
glgpu[0].HasGLNPOTSupport=1
glgpu[0].GLDriver="nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um"
glgpu[0].GLDriverDate="20140304000000.000000-000"
glgpu[0].CanCompileProgramGLSL=1
glgpu[0].GLFrameBufferOK=1
glgpu[0].glGetString[GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION]="3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler"
glgpu[0].glGetProgramivARB[GL_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM_ARB][GL_MAX_PROGRAM_INSTRUCTIONS_ARB]=[16384]
glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS]=[4]
glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_COMBINED_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS]=[96]
glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VERTEX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS]=[32]
glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS]=[32]
glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_DRAW_BUFFERS]=[8]
glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VERTEX_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS]=[4096]
glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_FRAGMENT_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS]=[2048]
glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VARYING_FLOATS]=[60]
glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VERTEX_ATTRIBS]=[16]
glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_VERTEX_PROGRAM]=1
glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM]=1
glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_VERTEX_SHADER]=1
glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_FRAGMENT_SHADER]=1
glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_EXT_FRAMEBUFFER_OBJECT]=1
glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE]=1
glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_TEXTURE_FLOAT]=1
glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_OCCLUSION_QUERY]=1
glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_VERTEX_BUFFER_OBJECT]=1
glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_SHADER_TEXTURE_LOD]=1
clgpu[0].CLPlatformVersion="1.1"
clgpu[0].CLDeviceVersion="1.0 CUDA"
clgpu[0].CLMemoryMB=1024
clgpu[0].CLName="GeForce 9400 GT"
clgpu[0].CLVendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
clgpu[0].CLVendorID=4318
clgpu[0].CLDriverVersion="335.23"
clgpu[0].CUDASupported=1
clgpu[0].CUDAVersion="6.0.1"
clgpu[0].CLBandwidth=6.46473e+009
clgpu[0].CLCompute=30.0272
License Type: Subscription
Serial number: 90970688570372367141
Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\
Temporary file path: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\
Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled
Scratch volume(s):
  C:\, 931.4G, 107.9G free
Required Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Required\Plug-Ins\
Primary Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Plug-ins\

Installed components:
   A3DLIBS.dll   A3DLIB Dynamic Link Library   9.2.0.112  
   ACE.dll   ACE 2014/04/14-23:42:44   79.554120   79.554120
   adbeape.dll   Adobe APE 2013/02/04-09:52:32   0.1160850   0.1160850
   AdbePM.dll   PatchMatch 2014/04/23-10:46:55   79.554276   79.554276
   AdobeLinguistic.dll   Adobe Linguisitc Library   8.0.0  
   AdobeOwl.dll   Adobe Owl 2014/03/05-14:49:37   5.0.33   79.552883
   AdobePDFL.dll   PDFL 2014/03/04-00:39:42   79.510482   79.510482
   AdobePIP.dll   Adobe Product Improvement Program   7.2.1.3399  
   AdobeXMP.dll   Adobe XMP Core 2014/01/13-19:44:00   79.155772   79.155772
   AdobeXMPFiles.dll   Adobe XMP Files 2014/01/13-19:44:00   79.155772   79.155772
   AdobeXMPScript.dll   Adobe XMP Script 2014/01/13-19:44:00   79.155772   79.155772
   adobe_caps.dll   Adobe CAPS   8,0,0,13  
   AGM.dll   AGM 2014/04/14-23:42:44   79.554120   79.554120
   ahclient.dll    AdobeHelp Dynamic Link Library   1,8,0,31  
   amtlib.dll   AMTLib (64 Bit)   8.0.0.91 BuildVersion: 8.0; BuildDate: Tue May 27 2014 22:3:7)   1.000000
   ARE.dll   ARE 2014/04/14-23:42:44   79.554120   79.554120
   AXE8SharedExpat.dll   AXE8SharedExpat 2013/12/20-21:40:29   79.551013   79.551013
   AXEDOMCore.dll   AXEDOMCore 2013/12/20-21:40:29   79.551013   79.551013
   Bib.dll   BIB 2014/04/14-23:42:44   79.554120   79.554120
   BIBUtils.dll   BIBUtils 2014/04/14-23:42:44   79.554120   79.554120
   boost_date_time.dll   photoshopdva   8.0.0  
   boost_signals.dll   photoshopdva   8.0.0  
   boost_system.dll   photoshopdva   8.0.0  
   boost_threads.dll   photoshopdva   8.0.0  
   cg.dll   NVIDIA Cg Runtime   3.0.00007  
   cgGL.dll   NVIDIA Cg Runtime   3.0.00007  
   CIT.dll   Adobe CIT   2.2.6.32411   2.2.6.32411
   CITThreading.dll   Adobe CITThreading   2.2.6.32411   2.2.6.32411
   CoolType.dll   CoolType 2014/04/14-23:42:44   79.554120   79.554120
   dvaaudiodevice.dll   photoshopdva   8.0.0  
   dvacore.dll   photoshopdva   8.0.0  
   dvamarshal.dll   photoshopdva   8.0.0  
   dvamediatypes.dll   photoshopdva   8.0.0  
   dvametadata.dll   photoshopdva   8.0.0  
   dvametadataapi.dll   photoshopdva   8.0.0  
   dvametadataui.dll   photoshopdva   8.0.0  
   dvaplayer.dll   photoshopdva   8.0.0  
   dvatransport.dll   photoshopdva   8.0.0  
   dvaui.dll   photoshopdva   8.0.0  
   dvaunittesting.dll   photoshopdva   8.0.0  
   dynamiclink.dll   photoshopdva   8.0.0  
   ExtendScript.dll   ExtendScript 2014/01/21-23:58:55   79.551519   79.551519
   icucnv40.dll   International Components for Unicode 2013/02/25-15:59:15    Build gtlib_4.0.19090  
   icudt40.dll   International Components for Unicode 2013/02/25-15:59:15    Build gtlib_4.0.19090  
   igestep30.dll   IGES Reader   9.3.0.113  
   imslib.dll   IMSLib DLL   7.0.0.145  
   JP2KLib.dll   JP2KLib 2014/03/12-08:53:44   79.252744   79.252744
   libifcoremd.dll   Intel(r) Visual Fortran Compiler   10.0 (Update A)  
   libiomp5md.dll   Intel(R) OMP Runtime Library   5.0  
   libmmd.dll   Intel(r) C Compiler, Intel(r) C++ Compiler, Intel(r) Fortran Compiler   12.0  
   LogSession.dll   LogSession   7.2.1.3399  
   mediacoreif.dll   photoshopdva   8.0.0  
   MPS.dll   MPS 2014/03/25-23:41:34   79.553444   79.553444
   pdfsettings.dll   Adobe PDFSettings   1.04  
   Photoshop.dll   Adobe Photoshop CC 2014   15.1  
   Plugin.dll   Adobe Photoshop CC 2014   15.1  
   PlugPlugExternalObject.dll   Adobe(R) CEP PlugPlugExternalObject Standard Dll (64 bit)   5.0.0  
   PlugPlugOwl.dll   Adobe(R) CSXS PlugPlugOwl Standard Dll (64 bit)   5.0.0.74  
   PSArt.dll   Adobe Photoshop CC 2014   15.1  
   PSViews.dll   Adobe Photoshop CC 2014   15.1  
   SCCore.dll   ScCore 2014/01/21-23:58:55   79.551519   79.551519
   ScriptUIFlex.dll   ScriptUIFlex 2014/01/20-22:42:05   79.550992   79.550992
   svml_dispmd.dll   Intel(r) C Compiler, Intel(r) C++ Compiler, Intel(r) Fortran Compiler   12.0  
   tbb.dll   Intel(R) Threading Building Blocks for Windows   4, 2, 2013, 1114  
   tbbmalloc.dll   Intel(R) Threading Building Blocks for Windows   4, 2, 2013, 1114  
   TfFontMgr.dll   FontMgr   9.3.0.113  
   TfKernel.dll   Kernel   9.3.0.113  
   TFKGEOM.dll   Kernel Geom   9.3.0.113  
   TFUGEOM.dll   Adobe, UGeom©   9.3.0.113  
   updaternotifications.dll   Adobe Updater Notifications Library   8.0.0.14 (BuildVersion: 1.0; BuildDate: BUILDDATETIME)   8.0.0.14
   VulcanControl.dll   Vulcan Application Control Library   5.0.0.82  
   VulcanMessage5.dll   Vulcan Message Library   5.0.0.82  
   WRServices.dll   WRServices Fri Mar 07 2014 15:33:10   Build 0.20204   0.20204
   wu3d.dll   U3D Writer   9.3.0.113  

Required plug-ins:

3D Studio 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Accented Edges 15.1
   Adaptive Wide Angle 15.1
   Angled Strokes 15.1
   Average 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Bas Relief 15.1
   BMP 15.1
   Camera Raw 8.6
   Camera Raw Filter 8.6
   Chalk & Charcoal 15.1
   Charcoal 15.1
   Chrome 15.1
   Cineon 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Clouds 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Collada 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Color Halftone 15.1
   Colored Pencil 15.1
   CompuServe GIF 15.1
   Conté Crayon 15.1
   Craquelure 15.1
   Crop and Straighten Photos 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Crop and Straighten Photos Filter 15.1
   Crosshatch 15.1
   Crystallize 15.1
   Cutout 15.1
   Dark Strokes 15.1
   De-Interlace 15.1
   Dicom 15.1
   Difference Clouds 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Diffuse Glow 15.1
   Displace 15.1
   Dry Brush 15.1
   Eazel Acquire 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Embed Watermark 4.0
   Entropy 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Export Color Lookup NO VERSION
   Extrude 15.1
   FastCore Routines 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Fibers 15.1
   Film Grain 15.1
   Filter Gallery 15.1
   Flash 3D 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Fresco 15.1
   Glass 15.1
   Glowing Edges 15.1
   Google Earth 4 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Grain 15.1
   Graphic Pen 15.1
   Halftone Pattern 15.1
   HDRMergeUI 15.1
   IFF Format 15.1
   IGES 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Ink Outlines 15.1
   JPEG 2000 15.1
   Kurtosis 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Lens Blur 15.1
   Lens Correction 15.1
   Lens Flare 15.1
   Liquify 15.1
   Matlab Operation 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Maximum 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Mean 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Measurement Core 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Median 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Mezzotint 15.1
   Minimum 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   MMXCore Routines 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Mosaic Tiles 15.1
   Multiprocessor Support 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Neon Glow 15.1
   Note Paper 15.1
   NTSC Colors 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Ocean Ripple 15.1
   OpenEXR 15.1
   Paint Daubs 15.1
   Palette Knife 15.1
   Patchwork 15.1
   Paths to Illustrator 15.1
   PCX 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Photocopy 15.1
   Photoshop 3D Engine 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Photoshop Touch 14.0
   Picture Package Filter 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Pinch 15.1
   Pixar 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Plaster 15.1
   Plastic Wrap 15.1
   PLY 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   PNG 15.1
   Pointillize 15.1
   Polar Coordinates 15.1
   Portable Bit Map 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Poster Edges 15.1
   Radial Blur 15.1
   Radiance 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Range 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Read Watermark 4.0
   Render Color Lookup Grid NO VERSION
   Reticulation 15.1
   Ripple 15.1
   Rough Pastels 15.1
   Save for Web 15.1
   ScriptingSupport 15.1
   Shake Reduction 15.1
   Shear 15.1
   Skewness 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Smart Blur 15.1
   Smudge Stick 15.1
   Solarize 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Spatter 15.1
   Spherize 15.1
   Sponge 15.1
   Sprayed Strokes 15.1
   Stained Glass 15.1
   Stamp 15.1
   Standard Deviation 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   STL 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Sumi-e 15.1
   Summation 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Targa 15.1
   Texturizer 15.1
   Tiles 15.1
   Torn Edges 15.1
   Twirl 15.1
   U3D 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Underpainting 15.1
   Vanishing Point 15.1
   Variance 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Virtual Reality Modeling Language | VRML 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Water Paper 15.1
   Watercolor 15.1
   Wave 15.1
   Wavefront|OBJ 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   WIA Support 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   Wind 15.1
   Wireless Bitmap 15.1 (2014.1.0 x001)
   ZigZag 15.1

Optional and third party plug-ins: NONE

Plug-ins that failed to load: NONE
Flash:
Installed TWAIN devices: NONE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>glgpu[0].GLName="GeForce 9400 GT/PCIe/SSE2"

That's not a modern GPU, and in fact its performance is pretty dismal by today's standards.  I'd consider replacing it if I were you.  I normally recommend people get a graphics card that rates 1000 or more on the Passmark test:

PassMark Software - Video Card Benchmark Charts

Regarding whether a prior version of Photoshop worked better for you, that's nice but it actually means little.  The prior version didn't use the system the way the current version, which expects modern hardware, does - nor did it provide you all the features.  There are improvements in Photoshop that make a modern GPU well worth having.

I do agree with you that there are WAY too many additional things that Adobe installs that many people don't need.  I've disabled quite a few of them myself.  But they may not be the only extra things you are running.  Making as many resources as possible to Photoshop by minimizing whatever else is running has always been a good idea.

Two tools I like that help maintain the leanness of a system are Autoruns and Shell Extensions Manager.

Autoruns for Windows

ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows

Best of luck to you.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that when the video processing/memory is exceeded (or unusable, if old), more system RAM is used to compensate? Even so, I'm not sure why that would make Photoshop disobey its own user set limit for RAM usage (why even include the option if it is ignored?).

Essentially it seems like what you are saying (or at least what it implies) is the same as what everyone is saying (except Adobe): the new software requires more resources [when not using modern hardware] thus meaning it is in fact slower than the old version (at least on the same hardware when that hardware is not "modern"), and unless one has $$ for a new system to see the performance upgrade, they are probably better off not upgrading to CC. An appropriate warning from Adobe before purchasing would be nice in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2014 Sep 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a given that new software will be optimized for - and tested most thoroughly on - modern hardware.  You don't need specific release notes to tell you that.  It's also a given that nVidia isn't paying nearly as much attention to making their latest display drivers work perfectly with their old video cards as they are with those they're currently selling.  It might be that nVidia's driver is compensating for a lack of hardware resources in your system by using more RAM, I don't know.

But it really boils down to this:  If the state of the art new graphics software is not working well with your old hardware, there does come a time where upgrading makes sense.  In your case a whole new system may not be required, just a new video card

You may feel I'm diverging from the subject of RAM usage here, but I'm responding to the implied deeper question that I suspect got you to looking at the RAM usage...  "Why is Photoshop CC running poorly for me?"

I have compared the performance of Photoshop CC to CS5 on my (circa 2012) system before, and the newer version is as fast or faster at most things, though I will agree it's slower for a few.  But to be sure, I just ran a specific test where I opened a large (1.6 GB) PSB file with both versions:

File - Open time, including cold start of Photoshop: 

• CS5 - 36 seconds
  • CC - 24 seconds

RAM (Working Set) used by Photoshop just after open: 

• CS5 - 9.2 GB
  • CC - 10.2 GB (yes, a little more)

Dragging around a layer at 12.5% zoom (it's a deep, complex document): 

• CS5 - 5 screen updates per second (feels sluggish)
  • CC - too fast to count, probably 10+ frames per second (interactive)

Painting on the top layer with a 1000 pixel soft-round brush at 10% spacing: 

• CS5 - A stroke across the 8000 pixel wide canvas took about 1 second to catch up with the cursor
  • CC - About the same

Layer - flatten (I included this because it's an exceptional operation for which I've seen the newer software run slower):

• CS5 - 4 seconds
  • CC - 20 seconds (a LOT slower)

RAM used at the end of the above sequence:

• CS5 - 11.9 GB
  • CC - 13.0 GB

I guess a good next question would be:  What operations do you find Photoshop CC sluggish for?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2014 Sep 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I just dropped a hefty $2500 in the bucket to get a new Intel Pentium I7-4790K Haswell Processor and Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1 Motherboard running at 4.5Ghz and 32 GB of DDR3 2133Mhz RAM with a new Asus 770GTX OC2 graphics card and 2 solid state drives (samsung evo 1TB and Intell 530 from previous system with freshly installed windows 8.1. I even decided to do a fresh install instead of installing XP then Windows 7 then Windows 8 since my 8 is essentially an upgrade model. I had to call it in to Microsoft to get that approved, just didn't want all the bloat associated with upgrading that way. I can clearly say that Photoshop CS6 in and of itself is running hell of a lot faster. The biggest time saver being the load time and save time of all my files. Large PSB files that once took 3-10minutes to save (or more on occasion depending on how many steps between saves) now are only taking about 7 seconds (yes I can count it on my fingers now LOL) This is most likely due to the motherboards 6GB/sec SATA ports that are running at about 300-500MB/sec actual transfer rates. Makes a huge difference in save and load times and probably also as scratch disks if they ever open now that I'm running faster and larger memory than my original 1600mz 24 GB sticks.

Now there was a huge marked improvement from CS2 and CS3 to jumping into CS6 as with CS6 Photoshop finally recognized that I had more than just 4GB of Ram (I had 24GB) so that made a huge improvement from the older versions of Photoshop. However when I upgraded to CC performance dropped just a little bit. But then when the 2014 version came in and I upgraded to the latest version of CC the performance dropped significantly. I was hoping it would be just the opposite and act like a Daft Punk song and just be Harder Better Stronger Faster but it wasn't. Both CS6 and CC have the new ability to utilize your graphics card to accelerate certain processes and this maybe the part that is slowing things down. As I tried to find fixes for my huge slow downs  I did  I read that some people had problems with their Graphics card acceleration and other people were having problems with their Brush settings and that that both of these were partly to blame for the majority of slow downs in Photoshop CC. I'd say if you have a crappy graphics card just turn off GPU acceleration in the performance section of preferences. If you have a good Graphics card then utilize the function.

I can honestly say that I am still afraid to load CC because the drop in performance was drastic last time and perhaps it loaded something into my preferences file because after I loaded Photoshop CC2014 it also somehow slowed down my Photoshop CS6 (don't ask me how it just was noticeably slower after that) And as I tried to find a solution all I found were excuses stating that it was "almost always traced down to the users computer having a bad driver or faulty hardware" Never did I see "it's an issue we are aware of and thanks to a ton of feedback from our community we are narrowing in on many of the issues and providing a fix for them"

The biggest items for me on my previous system was that save time was even longer in CC and the main functions that were way slower were things like resizing an image since now it includes a preview of the image as you resize it (should be able to turn that off for people that don;t have really fast graphics cards). I also did not like that they got rid of the dual size modification IE Change Pixels on top units or change measurement units on bottom of resize window (IE Inches, Millimeters etc) since as part of my work flow I start most projects at 12x18 Poster size CMYK then resize down to 6x9 save as 6x9 then 4x6 then switch to RGB and then start using the top set of pixel resize windows to resize the pixels for web use. Needing to now change the measurement units before being abkle to change the pixel sizes, since it only shows one set of units now, does involve a few extra steps and slows me down and rather annoys me as I will later have to change it back again for the next image, IE the backside of a flyer design etc.

resizing10.png

Pictured above: Adobe Photoshop CS6 having both Pixel Dimensions and Document size and resolution available to change at whim Vs

Pictured Below Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 only showing Dimensions and resolution whereas I would have to change the dimension unit selection first  before changing the actual image size

okay-cancel.jpg

Another glitch that really was pissing me off was how CS6 waited for you to chose a new font by clicking on it whereas CC was automatically changing the fonts on the document as I just scrolled down the font list. That could have just been my computer or a setting somewhere that I've not been able to find as I've not heard others talk about that before, but it is a major usage problem for me as I want control over my designs, I want to dictate to my software what I want it to do not the other way around.

If I ever get the guts to load up Photoshop CC again  and try it with the new system (thinking about it) I'll let you know if there are still performance issues.

- www.djemir.com

DJ Services and Designs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2014 Sep 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congrats on getting that powerful new system.  I might have opted for even more RAM myself (last workstation build I opted for 48GB), but other than that, you have a real screaming meany of a machine there.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Photoshop CC really can't affect how Photoshop CS6 runs.  Their preferences are completely separate, and Photoshop doesn't alter your GPU's system configuration.  Don't discount the possibility that something else you coincidentally changed on your older system might have affected how Photoshop CS6 ran at the time.

Regarding the usability changes, they're just something to get used to.  Once you've used them for a few weeks exclusively, you'll find they train you to change the right things first and it becomes less of a problem to resize images to be just the way you want them.

As a serious Windows 8.1 user, you might be interested in my book, "Configuring the Windows 8 'To Work' Options".  Windows 8.1 can be a dynamite desktop-oriented system, but it takes a bit of tweaking and 3rd party software to get it there.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 14, 2014 Sep 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't seen any acknowledgement, because we haven't been able to reproduce an actual slowdown in Photoshop outside of a few isolated filters (which we're working on).

So far the problems have always been tracked to something else on the user's machine: corrupt fonts, bad antivirus software, malware, Chrome in a few cases, bugs in backup software, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines