Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC - Rent to Own?

May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been following and commenting on the firestorm of protest about Adobe's switch to a Cloud only subscription.  Many angry users and they all want Adobe to reinstate the status quo.  In my opinion this is just not going to happen.  But like Obama says "never let a good crisis go to waste".  So let the users get behind a compromise that neither side will be happy with, but will work for both.

Besides price, the next biggest complaint is that if you stop your subscription you have nothing.  So my proposal of Rent to Own.  Here is one way to do it.

After 3 years of renting you are entitled to a download of the version of your products that was active 2 years prior.  This download would be a perpetual licence. 

Arguments for the above.

1.  Adobe is not going to give you the current version as is deceases incentive to continue subscription once you have a current version.  So don't beat a dead horse with this argument.   Two years back seems like a good compromise. 

2.  CS6 is also a perpetual licence, but will it work with the then current computers and OS in the future?  Evidence says not likely.  So a 2 year old product should still be OK.

3.  I chose 3 years of rental as that would be more than one would pay in rental to buy the product, if it was offered.  This may be a negotiable point with Adobe.  But if you rent for 10 years, and then retire as a professional photographer, or your interests shift, you need the programs so you can continue working with the images.

4.  The argument that there is no disk for versions, as it is all subscription, is hollow.  They have a product that you download to your computer.  All Adobe needs is a deactivation code so it does not ask for the monthly payment.  All Adobe would have to do is keep the version that was active on January 1 two years ago.

Let the users come up with a compromise, rather than digging in and saying no way, and getting nothing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 177 Replies 177
Explorer ,
May 21, 2013 May 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Business is all about making profit, with new model of doing business like CC, customer has no way to get out without problems and no chance to go back to previous version - there is gonna be just 1 version with automatic updates. If ADOBE makes let's say in 2 years update and add up 1 small DLL to activate some ADVERTISING (like Google adds) to increase profits and these adds will interrupt me from work every 10 minutes for only 10 seconds, I (and everybody else) won't be able to stop it, or roll back to previous version - is it impossible ?  Business is all about making profit !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 21, 2013 May 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Business is all about making profit !

Well, not all businesses are only about profit. Some businesses are founded by people with a vision and passion for what they love. In those cases it's about both profit and passion...

I think lately many large companies have lost much of their passion for the products they create and are now focused mostly on only the profit.

I think this is really a loss for everyone in the long run...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2013 May 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stupid stupid stupid. Last month I had no Internet for one month thanks to Telstra. If I only had cloud software I would have really been up sxxt creek without a paddle. Looks like ill be looking at other alternatives. I use cs6. Photoshop, bridge and in design, you have lost me as a customer Adobe.

Alternatives to moving Photoshop to Creative Cloud for users, particularly with poor internet access, is needed. 

You do not need your own internet connection for activation. Just find a wi-fi hotspot. That's just a general FYI. If the CC is not your cup of tea, I hope you can find something else that works for you.

Like many others, I'm hoping Adobe Systems might reconsider and offer a compromise, but until then audit your situation and make your plans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines