• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop crash/restarting the computer

New Here ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason in the last couple months Photoshop and Bridge (mostly photoshop) both regularly cause my computer to crash and auto restart the system. The program isn't freezing or crashing that I can tell, the whole computer just restarts. I don't think its my system since this is the only software that causes it. I did stress tests with Furmark, Prime95, CPUID and Cinebench. Temps are all fine even during those tests. I've used PowerDirector and blender which are resource intensive without issue.

This current project I'm working on has 70 photos in the folder. I am only opening 10-12 photos at a time (25MB each). I use bridge to preview, open in camera raw, adjust, then open in photoshop. Sometimes is restarts while opening, sometimes while working on photos - no consistency I can tell aside from just using photoshop.

My system is windows 10, Ryzen 9 5900x, 64gb DDR4, RTX 3090, 2 TB m.2 and 1200W PSU.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard restarts are caused by failing hardware or low level drivers.

An application can crash or freeze, but not take down the whole system. There are sandboxes and insulating layers to prevent that in modern operating systems.

In other words - Photoshop can trigger a restart, but not cause it.

I'm not familiar with the AMD platform, but it has come to my attention that they very aggressively install gaming components/modifications to everything from BIOS to device drivers. This may explain why there seems to be a disproportionate amount of issues with AMD systems compared to Intel.

I'd start by going over all installed software and remove everything you don't need. Update the drivers, in particular the GPU driver. Go to Nvidia's site and download the latest Studio driver, not the Game Ready driver. When you install it, check "clean install" to remove all traces of the old driver. Uncheck the extra components in the driver package (GeForce Experience and PhysX). You don't need them. If already installed, uninstall them first.

Another possibility is overheating. Clean out all fans and air inlets with a vacuum cleaner.

I'm assuming this isn't a laptop. But if it is, conflicting dual GPUs is always the prime suspect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok I updated my nvidia driver (was 532 current is 552). I also updated my chipset and bios based on what I think you were saying about AMD. Its definitely not heat - I have a custom water loop with 2 radiators and 8 fans. Like I said even in the stress tests the temps were fine (below 60 C cpu and 80 C gpu).

I opened some photos and fine so far. I will let you know when I have a chance to really use it and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines