• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS 5.1 Crashing Mac OS X Mojave

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated my iMac to Mac OS X Mojave. After doing so, Photoshop will crash immediately after I open a photo to edit and try to click on the opened image. I have ensured my OS is up to date, and I also updated Photoshop through the "Help" menu. Does anyone have any advice that doesn't result in me having to purchase a new edition of Ps?

My Actions to replicate the crash:

Open Photoshop > File > Open > Select Image > Image Opens > Click Image > Photoshop Crashes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Hey, I just had the same issue, and it is now resolved. When starting the mac after installing mojave, the system asks if you will let photoshop control you mac (or something similar, mine is in norwegian). I said no to this, but it seems like it was what caused the crashing. Go to system preferences - security and privacy -  click accessibility, and check the box next to photoshop. You probably need to enter your password to make this change.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me -- thanks very much for posting this answer (I looked various other places, but finally found your solution, it definitely was NOT on my list of likely suspects).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Go to system preferences - security and privacy -  click accessibility, and check the box next to Photoshop. You probably need to enter your password to make this change." This helped me out. Thank you Kareno40635395.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

?? In what way is Cc “not standalone” while CS6 “is standalone“?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buy it once, rather than SaaS subscription. 

Adobe lost my business when they went to the subscription model.

If CC's terms have changed over the years, I'm not aware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem with Photoshop CS5 crashing on startup. Funnily enough Photoshop CS3 still works fine, as does InDesign CS5. However, I expect them all to stop working within the next couple of Mac OS upgrades. I've been user of the software since Adobe Photosop was Aldus Photoshop and had to installed using a dozen 3.5" floppy disks. But since Adobe decided to abandon the customer sales/service model for a customer extortion model, I've chosen to look elsewhere. And I've found Affinity. Affinity Photo does everything Photoshop does (and in many cases more efficiently). Affinity Designer looks like a great replacement for Illustrator. And Affinity Publisher (currently in BETA testing) looks promising as a replacement for InDesign. Even better, each application is a single payment of $49.99 (plus they have less expensive iPad app versions). So Ged Traynor is mistaken that you only have the option to submit to Adobe's method of bleeding customer's dry. You should check out Affinity and see if their software would work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that fix did help actually open up photoshop CS5, with the new MoJove, but when I try to use the Photomerge tool to make a pano it crashes. Anyone else have this issue with certain tools?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Using PhCC5 on an El Captain @ MacBookPro it works fluidly (Photomerge and Design)!

Otherwise PhCC5 on Mojave @ iMacPro the trick "Allow apps to control computer"plan ... works partially. Still having problems with Photomerge and Design ... CRASHES ALL TIME!  

My plan ... downgrade to El Captain my iMac and stay there for a long time! 

How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

How To Downgrade MacOS From Mojave To An Older Version ...

I would have to erase the drive first in order to downgrade to El Capitan. Which is not all that simple if even possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU KAREN!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2019 Mar 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Karen's suggestion, but when I try to add Photoshop CS5 to the Accessibility list in the Security and Privacy preference pane, Adobe CC 2017 appears there instead of CS5. Happens even after I move CC 2017 to the trash.  Anybody else experience this? Or have a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2019 Mar 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Even though PS CC2017 was added to the Accessibility list, PS CS5 started working (at least this one time). It didn't crash when I used  tool (ruler tool, in my case). Not sure how long it will work, but keeping my fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had fixed the problem this way awhile back and then it started crashing again. So I unchecked the "allow", signed off.  Came back in and rechecked "allow" and now it is working for the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also worked for me. Same issue, unchecked the "Allow" (for Photochop CS5 in System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy), restarted my MBP, then checked the "Allow" again. All working again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after several years of using my CS5 with IMac Mojave 10.14.6 without any trouble recently it suddenly started crashing on clicking on the image to resize etc. Following above excellant answer (Karen 40635395 the Norwegian) I found my Photoshop box in Security & Privacy box already ticked but the Bridge box above it wasn't so ticked that one and CS5 now works. So try both options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, kareno40635395! I installed Mojave then the Java patch and had the same problem.

System preferences > security and privacy > click accessibility, and check the box next to photoshop. Thank goodness, I'll get at least another year or two out of PS 5.1!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It indeed helped. Thank you for your post showing me how to eliminate the crashes of CS 5.1 in Mojave.

It's people like you who take the time to help others with the same problems. Your kindness is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines