• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS4 vs. CS4 Extended Student Edition

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2009 Feb 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop CS2, and it's incompatible with Vista on my laptop. At this point I'm going to buy some version of Photoshop CS4. So here are my questions:

- What's the difference between Photoshop CS4 and Photoshop CS4 Extended? The extended version Student Edition is significantly cheaper.
- Should I just buy the regular Photoshop CS4 Upgrade or is the student/education edition of Photoshop CS4 cheaper?

At this point it's a matter of what to buy and what's the least expensive.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2009 Mar 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder what exactly means "commercial use". Say, if a student, now and then, makes a photo, process it in Photoshop and sells it (say by participating in sales exhibitions) is, I guess, different from using Photoshop in a day to day job earning for living, and I think that when Adobe said "not for commercial use" they actually meant that the software must not be installed on a company computer which is using Photoshop for making profits or used by a student for a full or part time job earning a salary, but I may be well wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legally, it's no different but I agree with Dave, nobody's hauling you
off to jail.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think adobe will sue, either way. ;)

I could be wrong though! :o

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2009 Apr 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran across this thread researching the CS4 Student Edition and thought that I'd add some info that just found. According to the Student Edition FAQ located here: http://www.adobe.com/education/students/studentedition/faq.html It states...

Can a Student Edition also be used for commercial purposes?

In North America, Student Edition software can be used for commercial purposes. Outside North America, Student Edition software is for noncommercial purposes only.

and...

Can I upgrade from a Student Edition?

Yes, a  Student Edition can be upgraded to a commercial version.

Hopefully this clears up any questions anyone else may have as it helped me decide to go ahead and buy the student edition.

Peace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2009 Sep 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to register for the student edition license and received a reply that I could not get student license because Continuing Education students were not eligible for student licenses. The school I am enrolled in is on their list of eligible institutions and I am going for the same degree the other IT majors are. I was taking the course online.

The only thing I can figure is that my proof of eligibility was my driver's license and a copy of of my registration and tuition receipt. Someone must have looked at my documents and concluded that, since I am older than the average student and not within commuting distance of the college where I was registered, I was fair game to get told to buzz off. I forgot to mention, they not only said I was ineligible for a student license but they were deactivating the product ID so I could not appeal and try to register again. Luckily Amazon was gracious enough to refund half of the price, which the didn't have to since they had done nothing wrong either.

I have taken a lot of classes online and have never had a problem registering a student edition with any other software mfgr., including one in Australia.

I am in a dilemma, because I need one more IT elective and of few options I have left, there is the one I was registered in which required Photoshop and two which have that course as a prerequisite.  There is another that requires Flash, but I am guessing I won't have any better luck with that.

I am considering wheter to file an age discrimination suit, since I believe that could have been a factor guiding their decision. They figure an older guy might not have enough career left to order Adobe  products for his employer.  It would no doubt cost me more than I would gain, but I am more than a little

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 10, 2009 Sep 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, eligibility for the Student Licensing depends upon the type of Adobe Educational Licensing your Educational Institution is using. If they are a member of the CLP/AOO (Contractual Licensing Plan/Adobe Open Options), then the enrolled students at that institution can purchase the Student Edition. If your institution is on the Transactional Licensing Program, students do not qualify for the Student option. Some institutions are required by law to separate their institutional courses from their continuing education courses due to funding requirements. And they may have completely different licensing agreements to keep the feds happy, even if they are on the same campus.

Student Editions in the US may be used for commercial work, and upgraded to a regular license once the student graduates.

Christine Krof Shock

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines