• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 Clipboard Issue (Win 7)

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a copy of PS CS5 installed and i can only paste an image that i copied from before the program was started. When Ps is already started and I copy an image and try to paste it in PS it will paste the image I copied before I started the program not the one I just copied...

It's a pretty annoying situation... not being able to copy and paste once the program is running. I have to shut it down, start it up again to paste the image I want...

Anybody a solution?

I work on: Win 7 ultimate 64 bit - i7 - 8 gigs ram

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 16, 2010 Oct 16, 2010

i had exactly the same issue with clipboard in PS CS5 described by David Dobish above. I solved it by removing Selective Tool (64 bit) Pluging from NIK SOFTWARE. Now clipboard works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 305 Replies 305
Engaged ,
Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you add them together or did you install one check, uninstall that one install the next etc? It's important to know if it is cumulative or  individual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3-5 steps are incremental, I didn't remove the previous before installing the new one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's tedious but it might me even more informative to install each app separately, and then also reverse the buildup. Install Color Efex first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color Efex Pro sounds like it might be the issue.  When I return from my photo safari in a couple weeks I'll check it out and let you know.

Many thanks to IgorDR for sleuthing out a likely suspect!  It's too bad the NIK folk don't have anything on this.

Thanks . . . Guy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that this question is yet unanswered... I have/had the same problem in Photoshop 64 bit on Windows 7, and even though the issue is still there, I'd like to share a weird workaround that works for me. I simply hold down PrntScr (print screen) and then press Alt. Note, you mustn't release PrntScr until you see the "hourglass"-symbol popping up. You usually use the Alt-button when you want to do a printscreen of a portion of the screen, but that won't work if you for instance are inside Photoshop, for exampel creating a tutorial, and want the selected menu to be printscreened as well. But, if you do it the other way around, PrntScr+Alt, it somehow clears the print screen cache. This works every time for me, hopefully it can help someone else!

/Helena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Registered just to give my 2 cents.

Landed here in search for a solution for this problem and it seemed to be plugin-caused. I started to uninstalling what I have..

It ended up being the xNormal and its PS plugin. After uninstalled, my clipboard issues were gone. So if anyone who reads this has xNormal installed, it's worth a shot to uninstall it and see if it solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far no one has commented on my ultrasimple workaround (from march 31), does it only work for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see anything like you describe. Holding down Alt or not makes no difference, nor do I see an hourglass. But then, I don't see these problems either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nothgirl,

works for me -- using your PrtScrn + Alt combination clears the pixel dimensions of the previous image on PS clipboard, which seems to be at least part of the underlying problem. Might even be a clue for troubleshooting the software. Thanks!

gbriney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a screen shot program that interferes with the key combination you recommend. However, when I unload that program from memory and press the your key combination, I get a screen shot of the whole screen. But then, if I copy anything else to the clipboard, PhotoShop behaves as it should. So your method works for me if I disable my own screen print program and if I take a screen shot first of the whole screen. Then...perfect.

Thanks for this idea.

-wick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue in CS4, CS5, and its been a pain for a long time. Installed CS6 beta, and no more problem! All the same plugins, and all the same settings, just dont have the issue in CS6 anymore. So I'm sticking with that for all my Photoshop needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Just trying to add a little more of my findings with this problem  2 days ago I upgraded my pc to an AMD phenom X3, 4GB RAM, new install of Windows 7 64bit and Photoshop CS5 32/64 bit default plugins etc.. I updated drivers etc... yet I have the copy/paste problem I tried all workarounds and patches and no avail I even tried installing CS6 and still same problem..

Buuut! I noticed I only have this problem when I open existing PSD I have in my drive, which I created in my previouse machine with PS CS5 in Windows XP.

What I want to do is open an existing psd so as to copy a clip and later paste into another project but I can´t the copy/paste options in edit are grayed out.

I can drag and drop into another project within PS on a new tab but copy/paste are disabled.  However on a new project in another TAB copy and paste works fine as long as I don´t use any clip previously created in XP!!!!!

Well hopefully I shed some bit of info for someone and I will wait and see if a solution is found...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To copy, first you need a selection to identify what you want to copy....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume this has never been fixed, right?

How frustrating. Instead of writing my photoshop tutorial for a magazine, I am spending considerable effort trying to make it so I can take screen shots and actually get them to paste into photoshop so I can prepare them for the publication. Somehow I doubt that upgrading to CS6 is going to solve the problem. And I NEED the plugins. They are part of the tutorial.

I have uninstalled Color Efex 3, and HDR efex. I saw that early on in this thread, someone from Nik had provided a cfg file in a dropbox link. Sadly, that is no longer a valid link. I am up to date with the plugins. And yet I still can't paste screenshots. Ugh

What a wasted day this has been.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark, it's hard to know what specifically needs fixing on your system, so it's hard to say whether "it" has been "fixed".  Some of us never see the problem - so it's clearly not a systemic problem with Photoshop itself. 

I don't have anything from Nik at all.

Uninstalling something may not remove all the components it has added.  I don't know if that's the case, but if you really do suspect Nik software you kind of need to make really sure there's nothing left of it stuck in with Photoshop.

Did you notice, for example, the specific instructions in post 246?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I don't think it's fair at all to say that it isn't a problem with Photoshop just because it can't be recreated at Adobe.  I can copy and paste a few times in Photoshop before it stops working, and when it stops, I still have no problem whatsoever pasting the contents of my clipboard into Outlook, into Word, into anything else really, so clearly there is an issue here.  Personally, I couldn't care less who's "fault" it is, I would just like to find a workaround.  I read this and wanted to see if anyone else had tried it before I go and edit my system registry:

Adobe Photoshop is a great piece of software. However, that doesn’t mean that it’s bug-free. Have you ever tried to copy a stock photo for a mock up and nothing happens when you try and paste in Photoshop?

This bug seems to be Windows XP and CS4 specific, but essentially what happens is Photoshop only checks the clipboard once while it is open. This can be very frustrating. Don’t fret though, we’ve found a fairly simple way to force Photoshop to import the clipboard each time you use the “Paste” command.

Instructions:

1. In Windows, go to Start and then Run.
  2. Type in “Regedit” without the quotes
  3. Once in the registry editor, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Adobe > Photoshop > 11.0
  4. Right-click on the 11.0 folder and select New > DWORD and name it “AlwaysImportClipboard” without the quotes
  5. Double click the name and change the Value Data field from 0 to 1
  6. Restart Photoshop and paste away!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's no bug. That's a feature!

I dunno what this world is coming to. Give a guy a feature, he calls it a bug and proceeds to show how easy it is to fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop checks the clipboard constantly -- what we found is that sometimes the OS would stop notifying applications of changes to the clipboard, but we were never able to determine why the OS stopped notifying applications of changes.  We wrote it up for Microsoft to investigate, but never heard a resolution from them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Very Much,

Was having this problem on an old computer and this worked perfectly,
  Best to you,

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving,
Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was so frustrating for me the impossibility to copy and paste, that I solved the problem with the upgrade.
Same PC, same Windows 7 x64, same Nik plugins: uninstall CS5 + install CS6 solved the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 30, 2013 Apr 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See noth girl post on 31 Mar 2013 #267 for a screen shot workaround

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2013 Feb 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe CS6 did fix the problem.  With CS5 when using the clipboard paste feature I needed to move the NIK software out of the plugins folder before loading Photoshop.  I forgot all about that problem until I saw this post.

NIK also reworked their software.  Who knows where the problem was . . . no one is 'fessing up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to paste into any other program BUT 64 bit Photoshop. I am loathe to reinstall PSD as 32 bit, and .... is that even possible? I am a dork, and need to use things like Paint for pete's sake to save as another file type to reopen in PSD from which copying and pasting, there, works fine. Such a hassle especially overall, and an impossibility when hoping to copy text for a mockup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am even able to paste the text I have copied into a Layer properties field, but then not into a text layer, after I have pasted it into the Layers property field. What the...?  I am extremely frustrated. Do I need to copy and paste text into a same size square in Paint then save it as another file type to open and paste into PSD as a graphic for pete's sake?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paste text into the text box -- drag the box out to be large enough to show most of the test, and check to be sure the text font size is set to approximately the right size before pasting to make things easier to see. When you select another layer, the copied  text will show automatically in the properties field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines