Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 freezes

New Here ,
May 14, 2010 May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have been using PS CS5 since the trial became available. But seems CS5 responds a lot slower than CS4. Sometimes, it just freezes or slow the whole computer down when I tried to open a many-layer file. I had to force quit the application, It's really frustrated because the system responds very slow even I tried to quit PS. Once it's quite, everyting's back to normal. Does anyone have this problem?

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 382 Replies 382
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2010 Nov 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man, I know exactly how you feel. I work at a multi-million dollar agency, been using Adobe products for fifteen years and this is the worst example of a software release I have ever seen. Right up there with MS Vista.

Dave

Sent from Samsung mobile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 18, 2010 Nov 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same constant type tool related system hangs that have been reported here for the past several months.

MacOS 10.6.5 should have solved most, if not all, of those problems.

Add in the fixes and workarounds made in Photoshop 12.0.1, and we aren't seeing many font problems anymore.

And our biggest performance problems are now caused by third party software (plugins and drivers).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2010 Nov 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still think there's something with the nVidia cards (or it's Apple drivers) that has a serious issue with Photoshop CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's possible, but we REALLY need a reproduceable example to show Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My tale of woe......

Dealt with all the issues on a MacPro 1,1 with 2 nVidia 8800 GT cards.... Did everything I can think of to correct the issues. No luck.

Bought a new 2010 MacPro 5,1 with the ATI 5870... not a single issue with Photoshop CS5.

Now the 2010 MacPro needs to go back to Apple - Bad fan issue and they immediately offered an exchange. So.... for a week or so I've got to go back to the 2006 MacPro. After this week... I'm more than happy to do ANYTHING to the 2006 MacPro 1,1 to see if the issue can be repeated easily. In addition, I've got the Capture Data app (v 8.4.1) from Apple to create a SHARK report for you. (Assuming it runs on the 2006 MP since it was sent to sort the issues with the 2010 MP).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2010 Nov 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI Chris and Adam.. 10.6.5 appears to have corrected whatever issue there was here. It may be directly related to 10.5.8 and/or 10.6.4.

More info if you want it....

2010 Mac Pro arrived with with 10.6.4+ on it (not 10.6.4 and not 10.6.5 but something in between.)

I updated to 10.6.5 when it was released via Software Update.

PSCS5 ran fine on this system for 3 weeks if there wasn't too much system strain.

Serious non-functional fan issues and displays not remaining set on 2010 MP.

Fan issue exceptionally noticeable under heavy load - system froze and crashed under heavy load. Fans never changed speeds, regardless of load.

Sending bad 2010 MP back to Apple at their request.

Pulled 2010 MacPro hard drives and put them into the 2006 Mac Pro

(Not my usual method, but hey, they are both MPs and I need as little down time as possible.)

So far (2 days) no more PSCS5 freezes on the 2006 MP with OS10.6.5

No amount of system wiping and reinstalling allowed PSCS5 to NOT freeze with OS10.5.8 or 10.6.4 on the 2006 MP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am always curious about the difference experience Scott and I have had in the past with performance. I bought my 2006 Mac Pro about the same time Scott did and did not experience the freezes he did and I use Photoshop extensively and CS 5 works really, really well for me with 10.6.4 and 10.6.5 so I wonder if the his two or is it three monitors are the problem.

Or where the problem and if so and it is fixed then it was Apples problem and not an Adobe issue. Which I believe Chris Cox suggested in the first place.

I can say that I am glad this is working well for Scott but I will learn from his experience and wait a bit before buying a new Mac Pro perhaps a 2011 version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a firmware update of some variety (MB, video, or PMC) fixed it as part of the OS update.

Sigh. Now I'll never know what was going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems Photoshop CS5 is not fully compatible with 10.5 systems. For those of us who cannot just go out and buy a new MacPro with 10.6 without cutting out a few months worth of food for our families, I think Adobe should consider issuing stricter requirements for older systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CS5 is fully compatible with MacOS 10.5.

It was developed on 10.5, tested on 10.5, and is working just fine on 10.5 for most people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked fine for me in 10.5 Mac Pro.

And why would not 10.6 work on any MacPro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not eveyone is able to afford upgrading every application to be compatible with 10.6. Some applications are not yet compatible with 10.6. Read all the "glaring" reviews and back and forth drama with  reinstallations and lost days that could be used earning money to  continue purchasing upgrades. Just admit it: This release is a mess.

I've been retouching full time in my own business for over 10 years now. I teach Photoshop as well. I'm not a hobbyist. I never stole a single license to run it. Photoshop is a crucial tool and those like me are getting tired of being ignored and berated. We've never received so much as an apology for the lost days. Sure, we may have our part in it with weird drivers and 3rd party applications. But Adobe shares in the responsibility as well. Blaming us and Apple is lousy customer service.

NEVER have I had so many problems with a Photoshop upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked fine in OS 10.5.x for me on  Mac Pro and I have a lot more experience than you do at retouching and using Photoshop and probably in the graphic arts field overall and it worked fine in 10.5.x so you have to admit it that there is some problem that is not related to the system the box it is running on and Photoshop causing you to have these problems.

And as you point out there are lots of software you are running which you cannot afford to upgrade and I would guess that some or one of those applications needs to be upgraded so that your Mac Pro will run well. And if you cannot see the logic in that, then you will have to struggle with an issue you are bringing on yourself and only you can deal with it since no one else knows what kind of software you are running which cannot be upgraded to 10.6.x.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I won't claim to have any more experience than any other user here. Most here are experts in their own right. I am not a hobbyist either. I have worked with Photoshop and the Macintosh platform for about 20 years, since version Photoshop 3/Illustrator 88/Aldus Pagemaker.

All I can speak about is my experience. My 2006 MacPro with dual nVidia 8800GT cards, 3 monitors, OS 10.5.8 or 10.6.4, and Photoshop CS5 was a COMPLETE nightmare. Unlike any previous Adobe application that has ever been installed here. As I've posted MANY times... I wiped drives, reconfigured the video cards... did EVERYTHING that could be done and nothing allowed Photoshop CS5 to run smoothly on the 2006 MacPro. It was only after swapping hard drives with a 2010 Mac Pro that Photoshop CS5 will now run smoothly on the 2006 MacPro.

Now, my first inclination is perhaps I had bad sectors on the hard drive itself. However, that was all checked and verified via Disk Utility many times. Additionally Installing 10.6.4 and Photoshop CS5 on a completely different hard drive inside the same 2006 MacPro did not correct the Photoshop CS5 issues. Perhaps there's a firmware/install issue on the 2006 MP? Or an installer issue? Who knows.

I didn't want to upgrade from 10.5.8. 10.6 has issues still. I was forced to upgrade with the new 2010 MacPro - no choice. And while I'm still trying to work around other issues 10.6.5 presents, it does appear to have cleared the Photoshop CS5 issues I was having.

From my experience, I have clearly come to the conclusion that there is something about my 2006 Mac Pro and OS10.6.4/10.5.8 that Photoshop simply does not like. Whether the issue is created upon installation, is due to my dual video cards, or large monitors, or something else remains a mystery to me.

When I get my replacement 2010 MacPro back from Apple, I'll swap drives again and just for my own curiosity attempt to install OS10.6.5 and Photoshop CS5 on the 2006 MacPro directly (rather than swapping drives) to see if it functions then. I'm guessing it won't and the error or issue is in place with the install on the system.

Edit to add... I don't run any PPC apps anymore at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give it a shot since you wrote about swapping your drives perhaps you were using drives with 8MB buffers and the Video cards did not have enough RAM for switching back and forth and the combination created a bottle neck fighting for the bus.

that is to say a faster set of drives like with 16Mb or better 32MB would free the bus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't own 8MB buffer drives. All my drives are 16MB or 32MB 7200RPM. Interesting idea though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Mac pro actually, if I recall well, came with a 8MB Buffer Drive and for some reason I thought I recalled that yu had you MacPro loaded with four drives when you purchased it. This could be faulty memory and there of course would be no reason that you might have upgraded along the way even if I remmber correctly.

But perhaps the idea is not completely off base it could still be that that draw from the monitors and the bus speed for the 2006 required more buffer for the drives and the cpu.

Or it can be configured it but was not  made to handle it without a little more help from a larger buffer on the drives. I think they now drives with 64MB
and I am wondering if you swapped a ssd drive for your boot drive it that gets you the bigger gain you are all looking for?

I am thinking of swapping by boot for an SSD. Even though it works great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I swap all stock drives for smaller ones actually. Don't need a 1TB boot drive 500GB is plenty. And I'll NEVER pay $2k for a single 500GB SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2010 Nov 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your assumption about me is false and seems to be rooted in some kind of deficiency you choose to project on others with whom you disagree. It was also entirely unhelpful, serving only to add to the growing dissatisfaction by many Adobe customers. It's also an accusation (admission?) that Adobe is so sloppy that they released PSCS5 with incorrect system requirements. If you read it carefully before responding, you would see that I was using various potential examples that the masses of PSCS5 problem-laden users could relate to while trying to be fair to Adobe.

Although you may not be an Adobe employee, Mr. Zimmerman, your response is an excellent example of the a ever-growing aura of arrogance, rigidity and supremacy at Adobe. Adobe is a huge corporation that exploded in growth with the CS marketing concept. Unfortunately, the idea of being all things to all people historically leads to a critical disconnect with customers. It's the difference between an established independent diner and a fast-food chain: They both have "good" customer service, but one is encumbered with robotic efficiencies, money, power and the need to serve shareholders first. One thinks the company is right; problems must be managed. The other is humble enough to admit mistakes; they put out the fire and fix the problem from the top-down quickly.

Bigger isn't always better. The attitude of supremacy and pride will only undermine Adobe. For the sake of the employees and license-holders, I hope that attitude will change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ericb007man wrote:

Your assumption about me is false and seems to be rooted in some kind of deficiency you choose to project on others with whom you disagree. It was also entirely unhelpful, serving only to add to the growing dissatisfaction by many Adobe customers. It's also an accusation (admission?) that Adobe is so sloppy that they released PSCS5 with incorrect system requirements. If you read it carefully before responding, you would see that I was using various potential examples that the masses of PSCS5 problem-laden users could relate to while trying to be fair to Adobe.

Although you may not be an Adobe employee, Mr. Zimmerman, your response is an excellent example of the a ever-growing aura of arrogance, rigidity and supremacy at Adobe. Adobe is a huge corporation that exploded in growth with the CS marketing concept. Unfortunately, the idea of being all things to all people historically leads to a critical disconnect with customers. It's the difference between an established independent diner and a fast-food chain: They both have "good" customer service, but one is encumbered with robotic efficiencies, money, power and the need to serve shareholders first. One thinks the company is right; problems must be managed. The other is humble enough to admit mistakes; they put out the fire and fix the problem from the top-down quickly.

Bigger isn't always better. The attitude of supremacy and pride will only undermine Adobe. For the sake of the employees and license-holders, I hope that attitude will change.

So now if you take the personal stuff away from this you still end up with you have some software that you may be using with your CS 5 Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So then you've confirmed that Photoshop CS5 conflicts with Mac OS 10.5.8. Hopefully, Adobe will take responsibility for false advertising.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a bit off the track here. You have older software on your computer which for some reason you are not updating.

It is logical to investigate to see if any of this older software is interfering with PS CS 5. For instance a plug in or another application could be building a cache file that is causing a bottle neck when used while using PS CS 5.

A font cache could be doing this especially if they are free fonts, I know this can happen because someone posted such a situation where an application was getting slower and slower. It sounded like a cache problem they investigated and found two free fonts, they had many free fonts, that were causing the problem.

I myself download these fonts installed them and experienced the same symptom they experienced.

As I wrote before I was running CS 5 on 10.5.x and had no problems so you response is incorrect PS CS 5  is compatible with Mac OS 10.5.

Your interpretation of what is being suggested to you is a little difficult to understand. I find it very hard to communicate with you.

I wish you luck though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likewise. Indeed, it is very hard to communicate this way. That is another reason why Adobe is in trouble—they leave their loyal customers to sincere co-loyalists on hit-and-miss forums and outsourced support. Thank you and best of luck as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The laughing icon did not show up at first.

But what i wrote goes as is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ericb007man wrote:

It seems Photoshop CS5 is not fully compatible with 10.5 systems. For those of us who cannot just go out and buy a new MacPro with 10.6 without cutting out a few months worth of food for our families, I think Adobe should consider issuing stricter requirements for older systems.

Hi,

apart from nvidia gpu drivers, the biggest cause of instability on my system was using old ppc apps under rosetta (they caused numerous memory errors ) it may be worth checking application monitor to weed out ppc apps or device drivers. the one which slipped by me was, ironically, a menu bar uptime clock which ran in the background and caused "memory smash errors" and eventual kernel panics

I tracked all this down by trawling through the console logs, certainly worth a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines