Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 freezes

New Here ,
May 14, 2010 May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have been using PS CS5 since the trial became available. But seems CS5 responds a lot slower than CS4. Sometimes, it just freezes or slow the whole computer down when I tried to open a many-layer file. I had to force quit the application, It's really frustrated because the system responds very slow even I tried to quit PS. Once it's quite, everyting's back to normal. Does anyone have this problem?

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 382 Replies 382
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2010 Nov 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've scrolled through most of this discussion looking for a solution because I'm having problems as well, but I haven't seen a solution I understand.

While running CS5 (in 64 bit mode) on my 2.4Ghz iMac (4Gb RAM, Leopard OS X 10.5.8) it has just in the past few days started getting bogged down.  There appears to be no consistent action on my part that initiates it.  I am running NIK Complete Package plug-ins but don't see a relationship between using them and the sudden slow down (although I did just recently download their final 64bit upgrades).  When it does bog down I see that Windowserver  in the Activity Monitor is now up to 95+% of CPU usage.  At that point my whole computer runs very slow and Force Quit just ignores me.  I have to turn the power off and restart to get control back.

This is similar to but not exactly like the issue in the first part of the discussion so I'm putting my comments forward.  Is this an Apple issue (I've posted on their Discussion forum but no reply) or an Adobe issue?  If the latter, has anyone found a solution that consistently works?  I read through the Font discussion earlier - didn't really understand a lot of it - but I don't put text on my photos so I have rarely used the Text tool in CS5.

For now I'm back to CS5 in 32bit mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While running CS5 (in 64 bit mode) on my 2.4Ghz iMac (4Gb RAM, Leopard OS X 10.5.8) it has just in the past few days started getting bogged down.

For now I'm back to CS5 in 32bit mode.

With only 4GB of RAM it doesn't make a much sense to run CS5 in 64-bit mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly fits within Adobe's recommendation for Mac. What do you find is a more appropriate amount to run to your expectation?

Also, system ran fine since CS5 installed, both in 32bit and 64bit modes - just recently started bogging down. Doesn't appear amount of RAM is my problem as I'm OK with the speed in either mode.

What else can you contribute to this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 27, 2010 Nov 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Imagineer47 wrote:

Certainly fits within Adobe's recommendation for Mac.  What do you find is a more appropriate amount to run to your expectation?

Also, system ran fine since CS5 installed, both in 32bit and 64bit modes - just recently started bogging down.  Doesn't appear amount of RAM is my problem as I'm OK with the speed in either mode.

What else can you contribute to this issue?

What do you think you would gain by running CS5 in 64-bit with only 4GB of RAM?

The whole point of 64-bit is to take advantage of large amounts of RAM.

If you look at this thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/755259?tstart=30

There may be a memory usage bug. Seems CS5 did not limit memory usage like it is supposed to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My freezing issues didn't "pop up" all of the sudden. They were like that from installation. There was no "slow down" after a period of expected behavior.

If you've experienced a change in existing behavior, then you need to look at what has changed on your system. If it was running well and now doesn't, some other system change was the catalyst for that trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point. I'm starting to suspect the NIK plug-ins that have just recently been released for 64bit applications (LR3 and CS5). I'm also in contact with NIK regarding this behavior to see what they have been hearing. With Apple/Adobe/NIK all seemingly involved it feels like I'm trying to change too many things at one time and unable to learn the root cause of the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can easily test plug ins... just put a ~ in front of the folder name (~Plug-ins) and relaunch Photoshop. If the behavior returns to normal, then it's absolutely a plug-in issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cool. I'll give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines