Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop cs6 save for web not working

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I realize this is a very old Photoshop version running on an old mac os 10.12.6, but I'm trying to save some money and have no need for an upgrade.

So my Photoshop CS 6 for some reason suddenly won't save for web. I get the error message "The operation could not be completed. The file or directory could not be found. [OK]"

TWIST:

When I use a different user account on my mac there is no issue, but I don't understand what would be specific to that user account/folder as it relates to Photoshop that would render that feature broken for one account and not the other.

Furthermore, when I use Illustrator cs 6 on my main user account, (the one with the PS issue) it can save for web with no problem.

Possible reasons for this:

1) Dropbox a cloud backup went a little wonky and changed some folder names for my main user accout.

2) I was getting some alert from adobe saying my programs weren't genuine (perhaps as a result of adobe cc being installed long ago) and my prgorams would stop working and I googled and deleted some files in attempt to remedy this which never worked. I stupidly did not make a note of what I deleted and have attempted to restore/compare some files to my time machine back up, but have not had any success. Maybe Adobe/Adobe CC really did manage to mess up my PS.

3) I considered uninstalling and reinstalling PS, however, the installer only allows me to uninstall (i tested with an adobe program I don't use). I found another installer but it says there is conflict with payloads or that a file is missing so it won't launch.

4) I found some possible solutions for this issue on the internet but I was not able to implement any of them (or fully understand them). Some need more explicit instructions for us lesser skilled people.

Thanks in advance and any thoughts would be great. Adobe says they no longer support this and were of no help. Apple attempted but we could not find a solution.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's corrupt preferences. The preferences file is specific to, and stored in, your user account. That's why a new user fixes it.

Preferences are prone to corruption because they are resaved on every application exit, as opposed to read-only program files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much. Is there a way to replace it or repair it? Use Disk warrior? Or get the preferences from the other user account where it works? If so where might I find that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any photoshop 6 plist preference in the working account. I may have even restored all the preferences from an older version via timemachine while trying to fix this...(can't remember all the things I've tried)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting preferences is standard troubleshooting procedure. In newer versions you can do it directly from the Preferences dialog, but in older versions you press ctrl+alt+shift as you launch the application. You will get a confirmation dialog if you do it correctly. If not, try again.

This will return the application to out-of-the-box factory state.

Note that you will lose actions and brushes unless you save them out before resetting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Mac side if you have the CS6 photoshop icon in your dock you can press

Cmd+Opt+Shift then click on the cs6 icon and you should see a dialog asking if you want to

delete the photoshop settings file. Press Yes

resepr.jpg

You can also manually reset the preferences by going to

/Users/UserName/Library/Preferences

and trashing the

Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings folder

Also it wouldn't hurt to trash the

Adobe Photoshop CS6 Paths

and

com.adobe.Photoshop.plist

as well

Before manually trashing the preferences, move any saved Workspaces from the Workspaces folder

to your desktop so you can copy them back after resetting the preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Jeff Arola and @D Fosse  for the explicit instructions, but that sadly neither solved the problem. Sigh. Any other thoughts? I've wasted 3 days trying to solve this nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can delete the Save for Web preferences in the following two locations

/Users/UserName/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Plugins/Adobe Save for Web CS6/Photoshop

and trash the

Adobe Save for Web CS6 Prefs

/Users/UserName/Library/Preferences

and trash the

Adobe Save for Web 13.0 Prefs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's the next step. This is definitely corrupt something in the user account.

The whole Adobe folder in the user account can be deleted, and it will get rebuilt. This is all configuration, separate from installation files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you @D Fosse and @Jeff Arola for the addtional suggestions, but I'm sorry to report it hasn't fixed it. I even did a restart. I will note that those items that you last recommended to be deleted remain deleted even after opening photoshop (i.e. PS never created new ones) I even tried 3 button press/open PS to deleted all settings again and it's still broken. Sigh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines