• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 suddenly a trial version of Extended.

Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Launched Photoshop CS6 this morning, and suddenly it is a trial version of CS6 Extended. I did not ask for this, I do not want this, I bought, paid for and registered the regular version on the day it was released. I am not renting the software via that stupid creative clod thing, I bought it the regular way. What is happening here? Is this going to happen every time they release a minor update? How do I make it go away?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 15, 2013 Jan 15, 2013

Today we released Photoshop update version 13.0.4 (for Mac perpetual customers) and version 13.1.2 (for Creative Cloud members, Mac and Windows), resolving this licensing issue:

How to get the Update

1. In Photoshop, choose Help > Updates.
2. The Adobe Application Manager will launch. Select Adobe Photoshop CS6 and choose Update.

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2013/01/photoshop-13-0-413-1-2-updat es-now-available.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 608 Replies 608
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2013 Jan 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear wkj, Please do not assume that what I experience will be what everyone does. I am reporting in so adobe can address the issue, not to be snarky. I know it is hard if many problems arrise to resist the temptation to adobe-bash but in this case it's best to refrain and see what a staffer says. If you are expereinceing the same or similar problem please report it. Adobe needs to know so it can fix it. Or- who knows- I may have to change preferneces or something in light of the new update then, hopefully, they will tell me so. I post in hope. aloha, Uhane

wkjeiwoi wrote:

oh joy! Photoshop can run even slower???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good perspective, uhanepono...my comment is less snark and more disappointed frustration...PS with CS5/6 on a pretty decent Mac has been a slow experience..plain and simple.

it's discouraging to learn that updates can (for some) make it even slower.  perhaps I should post the issue elsewhere..a more appropriate thread dealing with this loss of speed...

w

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it should be an industry wide standard requirement that all software, PS and/or whatever, must include in its About window the hardware they used for their final test, for each every updated version.

I am sure all hardware companies (such as Apple) will want that too so they can sell more of their latest inventions.

If we click About PS-CS6 and it lists iMac 3.4 GHz Quad-core intel Core i7, 32 G SDRAM; NVIDIA GeForce 6800MX 2GB card, then we know we don't have the right to complain; Adobe knows it's our fault not theirs and Apple will smile (OK, sorry, I am too bitter and too sour).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 20, 2013 Jan 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not gonna happen:  We test with thousands of different hardware and software configurations, to make sure everything works correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, I was wrong.  I am sorry. It should not be about which computer a software company tested the software on, but what computer they developed their software on. 

I have no idea how they can test their software on thousands of hardware/software configuration.  Do they buy tens of different computers and test hundreds of software configuration?  Or do they buy hundreds of computers and test using tens of software configuration?  That's neither important nor significant.  It's either Apple or Windows.  Do they test CS6 from Cheetah to Mountain Lion?  I don't think so.  And on the PC's, how far do they go back? 

So, I was wrong.  I should want to know the size of the machine they write the software on.  In an ideal situation, they should write it on the smallest Mac mini and tune the codes so the program will run at 10X light speed.  That will guaranttee the software will run comfortably on the biggest iMac.  But if they wrote it using the biggest iMac, then, those students who can only afford a Mac mini will suffer.  And this is when the marketing guy will take the software engineer out to coffee and tell him that they can only increase market share by sucking up to the many young new users coming into the market instead of relying on a limited number of rich daddies with money for the best hardware.

Are they smelling the coffee?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even for development we have hundreds of different configurations - so that we get good coverage even when debugging the software.

There is no one magic system that makes everything work right -- all you need is a system that is correctly functioning (no defective hardware, no serious bugs in the drivers).

And we tune it so it works reasonably even on the worst laptops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we can all respect that.

And there must be some way to indicate something like: "For best results, run on OS ___, and XYZ hardware."

Most programs will give some hardware minimum and on that hard ware, the software will run, in the strictest, most literal sense: it will launch and allow files to be created, edited, etc.

But there's a big difference between merely launching a program, and having it be speedy enough that it actually makes sense to use that application on that computer.

I'm having the experience sometimes like, several versions ago PS was faster and more "worky" than the current, even tho CS6 has the very latest features..which are good.

it's the meat n potatoes part that seems hurting.

IJS

w

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really have NO idea how difficult it is to make software that will use the most advanced features of modern computers and run stably on all the possible hardware and configurations.  As I write GPU-accelerated software myself (though I have no affiliation with Adobe), I do.

Please keep in mind that there are those of us who find Photoshop to run brilliantly.  It may be that others have spent a fair bit more money and time getting their systems into shape to run some of the most complex and advanced software admirably, but I'm here to tell you it's doable.  This isn't exactly a $0.99 game you're trying to run; you're kind of expected to have more than the barest minimum computer that can put two instructions together.

That said, there are often specific problems that can be corrected or worked around.  Overgeneralizing Photoshop in its current state to be missing its "meat and potatoes" isn't really helping you get to the bottom of specifically what's wrong on your system that's causing you to think it's bad for everyone.

Regarding your claims that Adobe hasn't published minimum requirements or guides to getting the most out of Photoshop, you just haven't looked hard enough I suspect.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude..really...

I can live without you jumping on me and having an emo fit every time I express my mind, and I feel that you can live without doing it.

w

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I was doing - apparently too subtly - is asking you to create a new thread, state the problem(s) that is/are bothering you, and let us help you make your system work well.

The short version:  An expert is offering to help. 

I'm not saying you shouldn't vent - hell, I do it all the time.  But I *don't* do it without also pursuing making things better.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually for me everything seems to be running faster/better for me. I know it used to take FOREVER to shut down ANY CS6 app and now they shut down instantly just like prior versions. This update has definitely solved my problems even if I had to get the IT dept. involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you help yourself too liberally to your self-appointed greatness, Sir.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, that's right, I forgot I'm not allowed to be better than anyone unless I own the right brand of computer. 

<runs and hides>

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi creative brush, could you tell me please how you ogt the IT dept involved and what did they do? Perhaps they cna help me.

Creativebush wrote:

This update has definitely solved my problems even if I had to get the IT dept. involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, the only reason to get the IT dept involved was because they hold all the serial numbers which I had to enter after installing the 13.04 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. Back with more info. ..Could not get onto the forum earlier so left a post on photoshop.com.. So.. I reinstalled but this time from the site and not my disk, thinking the site's DMG would have the updates bilt in and, therefore, not have that "patched" effect that sometimes creates problems. It did not and I then proceeded to update but did not update to this newest update, 13.04 and photshop is back up to it's usual speed and not crashing. The missing extension icons are back but the file icons for cr2 and jpgs are gone. psd files seems to be ok but I have not checked all. 

Screen shot 2013-01-20 at 1.43.27 PM.jpg

also I have lost again all my cr2 images and some preview images in bridge. I updated to acr 7.3.

Screen shot 2013-01-20 at 1.35.31 PM.jpg

So there you have it. I hope this helps fix things or if you have a workaround or fix already please do let me know. All else seems ok and speedy enough.

I roport this so you know there is something still amiss with the update on a system such as mine which is:

Model Name:          MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:          MacBookPro7,1

Processor Name:          Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed:          2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors:          1

Total Number Of Cores:          2

L2 Cache:          3 MB

Memory:          8 GB

Bus Speed:          1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version:          MBP71.0039.B0E

SMC Version (system):          1.62f6

Serial Number (system):          XXXXXXXXX....

Hardware UUID:          38D20E76-F11B-5635-AEF4-DD8B9DAF1C66

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State:          Enabled

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uhanepono wrote:

also I have lost again all my cr2 images and some preview images in bridge. I updated to acr 7.3.

Try purging you cache and see if you get the thumbnails back.  If you have cache exported to folders you have to delete cache folder by folder with Tools/Cache/purge cache for xxxx folder.  Otherwise use preferences/cache/purge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Curt. That did the trick. I had forgotten about that. So now I am down to the missing icons and will head over to the other thread about that to look for solace. I will lurk here now and then to see if any new updates are offered or fixes presented. Thanks again, Aloha, Uhane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be related to the lost graphics:  Since the updates, I have had a first instance of the bounding box disappearing when an image is transformed or rotated larger than its original size.  The cursor shapes still changed to indicate hot fields like corners, but no visible outline.  After doing several images "blind", I relaunched Photoshop and it restored normal operation.  Might be a graphic problem, have you tried turning off all GPU assist in the preferences?  Photoshop may still be clobbering its own memory with some variable reaching memory past asssumed limits, these are very difficult bugs to find.

Thanks Adobe for your continued work on debugging.  Photoshop is so powerful as is, I would vote for more focus now on stability and less on new features, for example in CS6 I can record a divide in an action, but it shows up in the record as Calculation: <unknown> even though it will execute correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me  too me too I vote for stability. The last 2 updates were unusable and required a reinstall. I am back to 13.01, the last stable update for my config. and happy for now. 

q38 wrote:

Thanks Adobe for your continued work on debugging.  Photoshop is so powerful as is, I would vote for more focus now on stability and less on new features, for example in CS6 I can record a divide in an action, but it shows up in the record as Calculation: <unknown> even though it will execute correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it amusing that most say they would vote for stability over new features.  Yet when the updates to the Cloud Subscription came out and included several updates the perpetual licence holder did not get there was a huge demand "I want those features also".  And ironically the update was riddled with errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Curt. Looking at the history and why history informs and can change our votes; the first update for cloud people was 13.1. At that time there was 13.01 for us full license folks. After that there have been no more cloud-only updates, only 13.02, 13.03 and now 13.04. 13.01 and 13.02 were stable and so everyone went about their business as usual. 13.03 was the nasty one and so, of course we change our votes to more stability and fewer new elements to have to integrate until after the current bugs are solves. 

Curt Y wrote:

I find it amusing that most say they would vote for stability over new features.  Yet when the updates to the Cloud Subscription came out and included several updates the perpetual licence holder did not get there was a huge demand "I want those features also".  And ironically the update was riddled with errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cloud also got 13.1.1 and 13.1.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2013 Jan 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris, Curious - what new features were in that 13.1.2 update? I have not seen about that one. I still rest with voting for more stability and fewer new features at this point in the game. May change once all the glitches are ironed out. I have reinstalled PSCS6 and updated to the most recent updates again and tommorrow, when I have time, will see how it performs. Maybe all the glitches will have been ironed out, (except for the icon debackle). (thanks for your posting to the thread @photoshop.com BTW) will test and report back here and @photoshop.com. IN the Am after finishing some other scripts. Aloha, Uhane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 22, 2013 Jan 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

13.1.1 and 13.1.2 are just dot releases -- bug fixes only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines