• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop detected an error in your display driver

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a 2012 retina macbook pro, and I'm running MacOS Catalina 10.15.7. It also has NVIDIA Geforce GT 650M 1GB & Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB. 

I have been using photoshop with no problems at all, but then out of nowhere, I suddenly start getting this error message when I'm trying to do basic tasks such as using the brush tool: "The 3D features require that 'Use Graphics Processor' is enabled in the Performance preferences. Your video card must meet the minimum requirements and you may need to check that your driver is working correctly."

So I go into the performance settings and I can't check 'Use Graphics Processor' because there is this error message: 

"Photoshop detected an error in your display driver. Update or reinstall the driver and check Graphic Processor to retry."

My Macbooks up to date, and I've tried suggestions from other topics like this, but nothing seems to work. It's so frustrating because I'm trying to meet a University deadline, and I haven't been able to work on it all day. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!   

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Hi there, thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded this application called gfxCardStatus, and it lets you disable the cards. I've attached a screenshot, and it basically switches back to Discrete Only everytime I select Integrated Only. It won't let me use the  main nvidia geforce card on its own. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Hi

NVidia's 650M 1GB released in 2012 does not meet the current, published,  system requirements for Photoshop
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

However a little background on what is happening with GPUs and an action that may work for you (paragraph 4).

A bit of background on the video card :

There are several things at play here.
1. Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Op

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is there to simplify?

Shortcut in the finder:

shift cmd G 

paste 

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings/

enter

create a file: PSUserConfig.txt

# Force GPU On
GPUForce 1

save

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!
I had the same problem with my MBP 15 Retina late 2012  with GeForce GT650 M GPU (MacOs Mojave 10.14.6) and Photoshop 2021. 
Photoshop 2020 worked well!! - till I accidently updated PS to 2021. After the Update PS woudn't use the GPU and telling me that my graphic driver is broke. I also couldn't reinstall the older 2020 version because the CreativeCloud wasn't offering it anymore.
PSUserConfig.txt 👍👍👍
Show hidden files: Cmd + Shift + . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may or may not work, it depends on the exact card. I have a work machine where forcing on the GPU makes the screen completely fail to redraw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even where it does work it should be taken as an interim workaround whilst the hardware is updated. It might work in one version but fail in the next as more functionality is moved to the GPU.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• With the latest full version update to Photoshop it loses the file but I added it back and I'm happy to say that in my case it still works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You solved my problem!

I love you!

1000 TKS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG thanks so much! I'm trying to make this 2012 laptop last as long as I can lol. I just had to downgrade to an older version of photoshop when it started telling me my graphcs processor wasn't good enough and i was like... well let's go back to another version where it was lol. If only i could say the same about my 2012 wacom tablet that's no longer supported. Stupid catalina, stupid drivers lol.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Wacom Intuos Pro 3 from 2006 still works on Monterey, although its a bit flakey. A 2012 Wacom should be just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so so much ! 

The way I tried :

SUserConfig.txt containing the lines:
# Force GPU On
GPUForce 1
Save that text file to :
Windows: [InstallationDrive]:\Users \ [UserName]\ AppData\ Roaming\ Adobe\ [Photoshop_version]\[Photoshop_version]Settings\
macOS: //Users/[UserName]/Library/Preferences/[Photoshop_version]Settings/

It's working !

my macbook is A1398

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe added a setting for compatibility with older GPUs, you might try that instead. Forcing the GPU on may or may not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for updating it, really helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing it, it's helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have conflicting drivers in Windows (desktop) -- make sure your monitors are plugged into your video card, not the "default" video port. The default video port always wants to use the integrated video driver. Shut down Windows, move the video cable, and start the PC. Your BIOS should detect that your displays are using the dedicated video card and disable the integrated video device driver. This solved my issue -- I kept getting a Photoshop alert that it detected an error in my AMD Radeon Pro W5500 drivers. I switched ports and now Photoshop doesn't complain at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines