Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Photoshop detected an error in your display driver

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a 2012 retina macbook pro, and I'm running MacOS Catalina 10.15.7. It also has NVIDIA Geforce GT 650M 1GB & Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB. 

I have been using photoshop with no problems at all, but then out of nowhere, I suddenly start getting this error message when I'm trying to do basic tasks such as using the brush tool: "The 3D features require that 'Use Graphics Processor' is enabled in the Performance preferences. Your video card must meet the minimum requirements and you may need to check that your driver is working correctly."

So I go into the performance settings and I can't check 'Use Graphics Processor' because there is this error message: 

"Photoshop detected an error in your display driver. Update or reinstall the driver and check Graphic Processor to retry."

My Macbooks up to date, and I've tried suggestions from other topics like this, but nothing seems to work. It's so frustrating because I'm trying to meet a University deadline, and I haven't been able to work on it all day. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!   

TOPICS
Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021
Hi there, thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded this application called gfxCardStatus, and it lets you disable the cards. I've attached a screenshot, and it basically switches back to Discrete Only everytime I select Integrated Only. It won't let me use the  main nvidia geforce card on its own. 

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021
Hi NVidia's 650M 1GB released in 2012 does not meet the current, published,  system requirements for Photoshop https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html However a little background on what is happening with GPUs and an action that may work for you (paragraph 4). A bit of background on the video card : There are several things at play here. 1. Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which th...

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is there to simplify?

Shortcut in the finder:

shift cmd G 

paste 

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings/

enter

create a file: PSUserConfig.txt

# Force GPU On
GPUForce 1

save

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!
I had the same problem with my MBP 15 Retina late 2012  with GeForce GT650 M GPU (MacOs Mojave 10.14.6) and Photoshop 2021. 
Photoshop 2020 worked well!! - till I accidently updated PS to 2021. After the Update PS woudn't use the GPU and telling me that my graphic driver is broke. I also couldn't reinstall the older 2020 version because the CreativeCloud wasn't offering it anymore.
PSUserConfig.txt 👍👍👍
Show hidden files: Cmd + Shift + . 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may or may not work, it depends on the exact card. I have a work machine where forcing on the GPU makes the screen completely fail to redraw.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even where it does work it should be taken as an interim workaround whilst the hardware is updated. It might work in one version but fail in the next as more functionality is moved to the GPU.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  • With the latest full version update to Photoshop it loses the file but I added it back and I'm happy to say that in my case it still works.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You solved my problem!

I love you!

1000 TKS

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for updating it, really helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing it, it's helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines