• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop documents losing metadata when returning to LRC

Explorer ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updgraded yesterday, May 21, 2024 to LRC 13.3. Updated the catalog. Running both PS 25.9 and 25.10 beta..

I've been using LRC and PS for many years and consider myself quite knowledgeable about both.

I'll take a RAW image from my Olympus camera, file format *.ORF, make typical edits in LRC and then send it to PS, release or beta versions, for further processing.

Image is quite slow in opening in either PS version. Once opened, I'll do a variety of adjustments primarily with layers, as it my normal workflow. When I'm finished, I click "save" and PS begins the process of saving as a PSD and sending it to LRC.

Once completed, the newly saved PSD is not stacked with the original raw file, even though LRC is instructed to do so in the Preferences->External Editing->Stack with original. In addition, the following occurs:

1. the creation date is now changed to the current date
  2. inially, the file type that came back, PSD, is not recognize by LRC's metadata library filter. (It doesn't recognize this as a Photoshop document.)
  3. I will copy the metadata from the original RAW file and past it, from within LRC, to the newly created PSD file.
  4. That will correct the creation date when I look at the file data in the library mode. However, if i look at the "date" in the Metadata Library Filter, its says "Unknown" instead of the actual creation date.

I'm attaching a pciture of my LRC Library module. (Notice that the two images show a 9/15/21 creation date on the image but each are shown as "Unknown" in the Library Filter. Also notice that the aspect ratio of each image is shown as "square" even tho one is "landscape" and the other is "portrait" oriented.

Any ideas or suggestions about this puzzling issue would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. the creation date is now changed to the current date

By @stevedell

That is obviously correct - it is a new file, created in Photoshop today.

But the rest works here when testing: stacking, keywords, file type filtering. Updated today to LrC 13.3 and PS 25.9.

Everything is still quick and snappy.

EDIT - I'm pretty sure the beta is what messes this up. This is one of the risks of having the beta installed (and why I don't do it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in thepast, the original creation date was maintained with the new PSD file. Also all of the camera settings et al used to be correct. Now they are gone. If you looked at the screen capture I submitted, one image was portrait oriented and the other was landscape oriented. LRC call both of the "square."

Uninstalling and reinstalling either the release or beta didn't help.

Sorry but your suggestions/comments didn't help resolve this issue.

Looking forward to more info.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see over on the Lightroom Classic forum this has previously been reported as a bug, supposedly fixed with 13.3.

Relatively few users have been affected by this, but the bug seems to have been real enough. But that's what bugs do, they hit a few people, not everyone.

And yes, you're obviously right, the original capture date should be preserved in the PSD. I had a little brain short circuit there 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specify where to write metadata changes

Lightroom Classic automatically writes adjustments and settings metadata to the catalog. You can also instruct Lightroom Classic to write the changes to XMP. In order for changes made in Lightroom Classic to be recognized by other applications, metadata must be written to XMP.

1. Choose Edit > Catalog Settings (Windows) or Lightroom Classic > Catalog Settings (Mac OS).

2. Click the Metadata tab, and then do either of the following:

• To write adjustments and settings metadata to XMP, select Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

• To write adjustments and settings metadata only to the catalog, deselect Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

If you don’t write adjustments and settings metadata to XMP automatically, you can select a file and choose Metadata > Save Metadata To File.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My settings have me Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

Is the problem I'm describing a Photoshop issue or is it a LRC issue? If it's LRC, is there a discussion going on in that forum that might help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines