• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop freezing while drawing

Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2019 Aug 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi , I use photoshop for digital drawing.  A good portion of my work is multi layer (sometimes 20+) and just recently Iv’e been getting a lot of freezing while drawing.  It does not really happen when I do specific tasks or anything so I can’t pinpoint any causes.  The rest of the computer will be fine but I would have to ctrl+alt+delete to close out photoshop and then reopen to hopefully have the recovery feature leave me at a decent starting point.

When in task manager the computer says that photoshops ”power usage” is “Very high”.  Im not sure what is causing this but it is extremely frustrating.  I tried turning off the graphics card usage but my mobo does not have integrated graphics.  So working without the IG is very laggy, twitchy, and honestly a little annoying.

Ive updated Photoshop to the latest version, updated my bios to the latest version, and updated my graphics card to the latest firmware.  Still freezing.  I only work for about 2-3 hours straight and I literally only use the pc for photoshop and browsing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I will list all of pcs hardware so everyone knows what im working with.

Peripherals:

Monitor: Asus 279Q

Tablet: Wacom Cintiq 13hd touch display

Hardware:

CPU: Ryzen 2600 6 core 3.4 ghz

CPU cooler: AMD wraith air cooler

MOBO: Gigabyte B450 pro wifi mini itx

GPU: Evga geforce GTX 1050ti

Power Supply: Evga Supernova 650w 80+ gold

Memory (RAM): Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb 3000mhz

Boot drive: Crucial MX500 250gb M.2 SSD

Saved file drive: Crucial MX500 500gb sata SSD

Case fan: 1 x Corsair LL120

Case: Coolermaster elite 110

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting your Photoshop preferences, which you can do under the General tab in Photoshop preferences?

Make sure you save your files regularly and keep copies externally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey derek, what do you mean by resetting my PS preferences? and what will saving my files externally do to help?  I will try it to see if it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean reset them to clear application corruption.

I suggested you keep (duplicate) copies of your documents externally so you have a back ups of your files should your computer suffers catastrophic failure, is stolen  or the documents become corrupt – that's why it can help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, so I reset my preferences and it is running fine for right now, I need some time to actually put some load on it to see what happens though.  Will be working on it for a few hrs tomorrow.

I was also thinking that it may be that my memory (RAM) is not fast enough.  both of my sticks are running at 3000mhz but I know ryzen chips usually perform better with fast memory such as 3400mhz.  Any feedback?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright so I ran it after I reset the preferences and the same thing happened.  Photoshop froze, I had to open task manager and end task on Photoshop.  Im not sure what to do next.  Here is a pic of task manager when Photoshop freezes.  Also while it was frozen, I did get a notification from Norton that 99% of my CPU was being used.  Which I find hard to believe because it is a 6 core (but then again I am pretty new to computer tech).  Not sure if it will be beneficial to swap over to Intel and get an 8700 or 8700k, id have to change my mobo though if I did that.  Any feedback from anyone would be appreciated.

image1.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't have any problems with Ryzen CPUs, what energy profile are

you using? Because Photoshop can use more CPU resources,you can see more

about here:

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/04/06/amd-ryzen-community-update-3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Have you updated your wacom drivers to the latest? Also check if you Graphic Processor is on under the preferences (Ctrl+K)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My wacom tablet is updated to the latest driver and the graphics card is turned on in preferences under performance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

same thing is happening here! super frustrating.

Windows 10
AMD FX-8350 octacore
24GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Gigabyte Motherboard
Adobe CC 2019
Cintiq 22HD

ive updated everything, reset preferences, reduced sizes of project drawings, reduced gpu stuff to basic, used general brushes that come with it instead of the mixer brushes...nothing helps. and its a random amount of time before it happens.    i dont even wanna draw and get in the zone anymore because its gonna kick me in the balls and make me lose the groove.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines